Tomball Gun Club
I just got off the phone with Jackie this morning and after
getting as far as Kerrville he is returning to Houston to be
with his family.

Jackie's change in plans is due to Hurricaine Ike making a last minute
move toward east Houston. The forecast for Ike is to come ashore
Friday night as a class 3 hurricaine.

Jackie was going to compete for the two gun at the
Buffalo Shoot in Midland,Texas this week end.

He was also going to defend his Gulf Coast Shooter of the
Year title. The top three shooters contesting for this honor
are Charles Huckeba, Jackie, and Jay Lynn Gore. IMHO, I think
this would have been the best Gulf Coast Match of the year.:)

All of us from the Houston area would like wish all our fellow
shooters the best this weekend at the Buffalo Shoot....

Last edited:
Good luck to Jackie and all the guys on the upper coast of Texas and into La.. I lived south of Houston when Hurricane Carla hit that area in 1961 and remember vividly how far inland the storm surge went and caused catastrophic damage and loss of life. If you are still there, get the heck out.

Oh Well.......

I have had this trip on the calender all year, took three days off so I could just take it easy and enjoy.. My Wife insisted I go, since all reports indicted that the Storm would probably go in well South of Houston.

I got on the road at 8:pM last night, drove all the way to Kerville, where they have a real nice Rest Stop to park a Motorhome and "camp".

When I got up at 7:AM this morning, the news on my satellite was saying that the Storm had now taken a more Northern course, and Houston would be in it's sights.

I called my wife, she confirmed this, so I decided to just turn around and head back home. My wife still insisted that she could take care of things, (she is a pretty self sufficient gal), but that is sort of like her saying "don't worry about getting something for my Birthday, I don't need anything". That just means you darned sure better get her something.:D

I have been through a multitude of Hurricanes, some are more "show" than "go", and the news media tends to over hype them, but this thing is pretty darned large, which means a lot of storm surge, and a lot of wind for quite a long time. Probably going to be a lot of downed trees, flooded cars, torn up roofs, and 24 inch high water marks in a lot of houses.

I sure hate to end my Region Shooting Season this way. Charles Huckeba and I are just about dead tied for Shooter of the Year, it would have been great to go heads up, winner take all with one of the best shooters in the game. But it isn't the first time in my 60 years I have had to be dissappointed, and I am sure it won't be the last.......jackie

Last edited:
Well,

I will miss ya there, along with other houstonites I imagine. Curtis and I were going mostly to see some shooters we hadnt seen in a while. Good luck on the storm. I am sure your neighbors and others will be happy you are there if there is storm damage. Pitching in and fixing up after the storm is a good thing too and helps bring everyone together. See ya next time.

Back