Jack Neary wins Ted Manning Challenge

Steve Lee

First I want to apologize for titling my earlier post "Ted Manning Memorial" cause Ted Ain't Dead. As a matter of fact he came and visited Saturday and said that he has just been declared cancer free. Let's all say a prayer that he stays that way. When Gil Gross told me about the shoot last June I misunderstood and just used the wrong title on my earlier thread.

The shoot turned out to be the Jack Neary show, but Wayne Campbell gave him a run for his money.

Keith Morris won Light Varmint 100 with .1856. Our kind web host Wilbur finished second with .2122 and Jack finished third with .2224. Terry Leonard got small group with a nice .107.

Wayne Campbell won Heavy Varmint 100 with .2320, Keith Morris finished second with .2344 and there Jack was again taking third with .2512. HFV himself (Tommy McKee) took small group with .124.

Sunday morning Jack started strong and won Heavy Varmint 200 with .1773, Wayne was second with .2001 and Wilbur was third with .2173. Allen Arnette took small group with a .213.

In Light Varmint 200 I tried to stage a comeback and was in first place after four groups, but crashed and burned on my last group. Wayne and Jack drilled 2's on their last group landing Wayne in first with .1971 and Jack in second with .2066. Allen Arnette took third with .2079 as well as small group with .208.

Jack won Light Varmint Grand, Heavy Varmint Grand and Two Gun. Wayne took second in all three. Allen Arnette took third in LV Grand, Keith Morris took third in Heavy Varmint Grand as well as Two Gun.

Gil Gross, Mike Jennings and the rest of the crew at Roanoke did a fine job. We're looking forward to shooting there next year.

Results are attached.

Steve Lee

Attachments

• Ted Manning Challenge 2016.xls
    60 KB · Views: 316
  • Ted Manning Challenge 2016.pdf
    422.5 KB · Views: 457
Great news about Ted. Good shooting to everyone. But coming from me GREAT JOB WILBUR

Did the best I could....

Had a really good shootin' rifle (new barrel) and got lucky on a few targets....was somewhat happy with 5th place overall....somewhat (@#%!#)! Was glad my counterpart Tommy McKee shot a small group. I understand now how the aggs got smaller over the years I've been away....better barrels.

Congrats to the winners once again!

BTW - those Lee Martin bullets shoot pretty darn good! Lee sent me a few and I shot them in the Light Varmint class.....Did good!!!

Thanks.

Steve: Thanks for posting results. wanted to be there maybe next year. Good to see Tommy and Wilbur shooting again. Congrads to all and good luck at nationals.

I would like to say congrats to the top dogs at this shoot and I would really like to congratulate Keith Morris as he has been really been putting his best foot forward this year and he has really shined at this match.

Good Shooting Keith and keep it up as you are showing that you can be a competitor in this humble sport keep up the good work.

Russell

Steve: Thanks for posting results. wanted to be there maybe next year. Good to see Tommy and Wilbur shooting again. Congrads to all and good luck at nationals.

Tommy and Wilber really shot great.

I think Tommy surprised himself as to how well he an see to shoot with the vision problem he now has.

Wilbur did,, Tommy didn't

Tommy and Wilber really shot great.

I think Tommy surprised himself as to how well he an see to shoot with the vision problem he now has.

This was actually my worst aggs yet,, since 1986. I was trying to learn to shoot left handed and free recoil,, but didn't work. . I think Wilbur did pretty good for his first performance in years.We had a great time. It was great to see Ted Manning. He is one of the greats. Also it was great to see Bruce Eppers as he spent the day w/us.. As Steve Lee said,, it was the "Jack Neary show. Congradlations to Jack,, Wayne, Allen,, and Keith, who was sitting to my right. Great shooting guys.

Thank you , Jim Casey

Thanks Jim for your comments. I just hope we can continue.S H O O T I N G

Last edited:
Precision Rifleman Picture

Steve, I just looked at the match report you wrote for Precision Rifleman in the December issue. There is a good picture featuring most of the winners and no caption. Could you provide the names of those pictured (from left to right) so we can put faces to names. Some of the folks I haven't met and maybe some just look different after a few years. I'm guessing the guy on the right (with the armload of wood) is Jack.

R to L - Wilbur, Harley Baker, Wayne Campbell, Allen Arnette, Tommy McKee, ??, Jack

BTW - those Lee Martin bullets shoot pretty darn good! Lee sent me a few and I shot them in the Light Varmint class.....Did good!!!

I'm way late to this thread Wilbur, but I'm so glad those 67's flew well for you. Drop me a line if you need more. I knocked out another 2,000 last week. Great shooting on your part and I'll definitely be at Roanoke next year.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee - If you go....I will too. Those are pretty good bullets in my opinion. I've got boxes and boxes of bullets that shoot as well as I can "guess when" to shoot them...but I'd try to buy a box or two of those otherwise. I'm thinking you could easily change your life from a seemingly happy individual to a wretched life making bullets for sale.

I have no plans of ever selling bullets Wilbur.....I like my sanity :). I make them at my pace for friends and family. Money would take all the fun out of it. But seriously, let me know if you need more. I'm flattered you shot them in competition.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Back