It's finally time...

dickw

To sell my centerfire BR stuff. I will be posting ads in the Classified section for the gun I have left as well as a whole bunch of "stuff". At my age I'm finding it increasingly difficult to shoot well. Since there was a time when I could, I have a problem with that. I do find that I can do better in the informal rimfire matches we have in the area and will continue to do that.

I still like to go to matches and hang around. I made most of the Harrison matches in 2014 and ended up do the scoring. Ditto with some of the matches Steve Robbins has down at Isabella County Sportsmans Club. At my advanced age doing just that makes me really tired for a day or two after the match.

Included in the classifieds will be my last gun... a Grizzly (RB/RP) with a Klub stock made specially for me by Kelbly's ten years ago in .22 PPC .100" short. It has three barrels, one of which is nearly new... probably less than 100 rounds thru it. This is a lovely gun in nearly perfect shape. Also you will find one scope, a neck turning machine and just a ton of "stuff".

I really need to get and make some new brass if I continue shooting and finally decided "Why". I still can't shoot straight and I'm tired of making an arse of myself.

I've shot BR since 1977. I really enjoyed writing for Precision Shooting over more than twenty years. Alas, PS is no longer here. Mostly I've enjoyed the people in this sport.

Over the next couple of days I will post several classifieds. I am also going to make a list of everything I am going to get rid of. If you want the list, email me and I will send it.

It's been fun...

Dick Wright

Last edited:
You ain't that old yet Richard. Till you get older than me you are still young.

I guess this means you no longer need the B322?

Come on Dick I'm old but there are guys in there 70 & 80's shooting with me I use them to judge when I think I should call it Quits!

Joe Salt

Joe & Jerry

I'm getting awful close to 80... I still seem to have most of my marbles. I've written a few articles post PS and I am still coordinated enough to drive the old Porsche well. Since I had a blood disease a couple of years ago (now gone) I get tired real easy. It's getting so that shooting is just too much work.

Guys, the last time we shot IBS Nats at Weikert, Mike Walker shot HV, on the next bench to my right, he was 96, IIRC.

That is when I really got mad at Brennan. Jeff Stover had just become IBS Pres and had a pic taken with himself and Mr Walker. I tried to get dumba$$ Brennan to use it for a cover. Instead he put some cap&ball or whatever. No wonder PS went down!!

Andy, Thanks...

I'll get there at least most of the time. It's hard for me to stay away from those matches. Glorya and I started them 24 years ago... lot of history and memories.

Mr. DW, I've enjoyed reading some of your articles and have hoped to meet you at a shoot somewhere -- and still hope to.

BTW, did you ever buy the RFD rifle you wanted in .200" short .22BR?

Hunter...

I never did get that rifle. I have a .22 PPC .100" short for sale in the classifieds right now.

Thanks,

Dick

We'll miss....

We'll all miss you Dick. I've read many an article you wrote for Precision Shooting and learned a lot from them. Although that magazine is gone, the new Precision Rifleman is one terrific replacement. Audrey Brown has done a great job with it.

Part of this sport is the great folks we meet and have a good time with at the matches. And...even if you don't shoot, there are a lot of people that still want your company at the matches.

Have a great life....virg.

I can still clearly remember back in '02 I had bought the parts and put together my first REAL bench gun. It was a Remington 700 SS action that I had taken from my varmint rifle and had a local guy, Ray Wild, RIP, chamber it for me in 6BR. I bought a stock from Ray, a very nice fiberglass, Adamovich pattern, that was bedded by the world famous stock guy Tom Meredith. I would later down the road, meet Tom and find out he isn't really that famous. :D

I had turned brass and bought some good bullets from Brady Knight and Jeff Fowler. I thought I was gonna set the local BR world on fire. Huh!!! I couldn't find my ass with both hands. What a disaster. I got on here and started asking some questions on how to get this darn thing to shoot. It was obvious I was not doing anything right for the sake of accuracy.
I then received an email from a guy that I had been reading about in Precision Shooting magazine. He said he read in my profile that I didn't live very far from him.
I knew from seeing his stuff in the magazine he lived just north of here, about 20 miles. He asked if I would like to come over to his house and he could look over my stuff and maybe help me out a little.

I could not believe it, I was invited over to a world famous, nationally publicised writer to shoot at his house. Wow!! I mean he isn't Jim Carmichael or Warren Page but hey who am I to judge.:eek:
I called him and we set up a day to meet. He said we had to make it about noon or so since the boss, Gloria, works late and doesn't rise real early. I loaded all my junk in the car and headed north. After dragging all my stuff into the basement we set up my loading equipment and Dick gave it a look over. In short he said everything I owned needed to be replaced.:(
After he did some looking and talking and measuring we loaded up some rounds and tried to shoot. After a couple hours he summed it up and said to buy a new gun. I am a very hard headed person and did not listen to him. I really should have. It probably would have saved me thousands of dollars.

After putting my stuff away, Dick asked if I would like to shoot his gun he just had built, the "Snake Gun". You gotta be kidding me, Hell yes I would. I have been reading about this thing for some time and now I get to shoot it. This can't be happening.

Dick got his gun set up and shot a nice group. He then told me to set down and shoot it. As my good friend Ron Breedlove would say, " I was as nervous as a whore in church'. I think I shot 2 or 3 groups, the last one was much smaller than his. About that time Dick said that was enough, I needed to quit outshooting him with his own gun.

Fast forward about 12 years and here I sit reading this forum and I still can't find my ass with both hands while shooting BR.

We hope to still see you around Dick. You can shoot my gun anytime you want, I owe you that.

Joe Hynes

Who knows...

Joe,

I just might take you up on that. If you're shooting in Harrison this year I'll probably see you there.

Re: your shooting...BS. I've seen you shoot extremely well for most of the last ten years. I just hate it when these young whippersnappers...

Thanks for the nice things you said.

Dick

Last edited:
Like Joe, I owe quite a bit to Dick. In about 1994, I read an article he wrote about being on the BR circuit with his .200 short .22 BR. That article started my desire to shoot Benchrest. I had a Winchester model 52 so I started shooting BR in the .22LR persuasion first. In 1997 I converted to CF and had a real Benchrest rifle built (Hall action/Hart 14 twist 6mm/McMillan stock and Leupold scope). I kept reading Dick's articles and finally gave him a call (~2002). I asked if he thought that I could possibly write some articles for PS. I expected him to be very dismissive of a LA redneck, but he was not. Patiently, he explained how Dave B. liked articles presented and told me to write one and send it to him.....he would either accept it or reject it.

I did as Dick suggested and the article was accepted (with some heavy editing) and I wrote for the magazine for the next ten years.

Dick, I wish you well in the new phase of your life. You will be missed by the BR community and we would still like to visit with you at some of the matches (perhaps the SS this year).
James Mock

Last edited:
Dick,
I always enjoyed reading your articles in PS - especially the "Fat Boy" piece. It was the imagery of a gun like that that kept me pining for my first full race bench gun, and if it didn't perform I knew there were guns out there that would. The white whale, as it were (fat boy - whale. not bad, eh).
I know you are just selling your stuff, but I am glad to get the chance to write this to you and let you know how much I appreciate your efforts.
Mike

Other Writings

Writing articles other than about guns included

--How to build Benchrest Shooting Benches--included illustrations and instructions
--How to build Shooting stools--included instructions and illustrations

Oak hill Gun Club rifle range is built with the above as our template--all functioning flawlessly since 2001

Also article about
"Prepping your Brass"
I follow the brass prep instructions to this day since 2001 without any changes.

These are 3 articles that have helped guide me and our club in our Benchrest travels.

Thanks Dick for your help and answering questions promptly.

Cecil Peterson

Some people are...

saying nice things that I never expected. Been married a long time and whoever hears nice things from their wife?

I started this thread to sell some of the stuff that I'll never use again... I'm adding things to my list as I find them... there's a Gene Davis optical booster (it made my Leup 45 into a 60X. I loved it and always used it as long as I had Leups.

I found a Ross & Webb press that needs some work. These were elegant but use made them wear at one point that the makers never expected. These guys weren't as smart as they thought they were... I know; I dealt with them. The right guy could fix it and have a treasure.

Going thru old stuff is a delight... Especially since I seem to be as senile as Sharrett. (I had no idea that I had most of this stuff.) I'm restocking a rifle, something I did a lot 30 & 40 years ago. Back then I was a associate member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. Anyway, I found a Neidner butt plate and two Jerry Fisher engraved pistol grip caps. A few of you know what these things are. True unobtainium and art. (They're gone now.)

I'm surprised that I have had no interest in the rifle. Am I asking too much? The gun is in perfect shape and is superbly accurate. It's has always needed a better shooter... if Glorya was still shooting when I got it, it would have been her gun.

It's been a long and enjoyable ride... I'm amazed at some of the above.

Dick

Last edited:
Dick i sure hope you at least go to shoots. You know theres a ton of guns you can sit behind at any shoot ready to go and theres no hassle on your part. Anybody thats been around a while know how good of a man you are and will do anything to keep you shooting. Email me some pics of that press- i love the custom stuff like that as you know

Dusty,

Will do. It might take a couple of hours... might be tomorrow.

Dick

Last edited:
Back