Issues with arbor press

tiny68

I got a Bruno's arbor press for my in-line dies in the spring. I had never used a set of Wilson in-line dies before so I was green with usage. The press worked fine with my 6BR when I was running 0.001 or 0.002" under bushing for neck tension. However, with my 30BR is seems to favor a tighter neck. Problem is the handle spins where it connects to the gear that drives the ram (sorry I am not a machinist and I am certain I am using some wrong terms here). The handle connects to the gear with fiction (two smooth surfaces butted against each other). Anyway, I called Lester and he said to simply tighten the screw to draw the handle tighter. This seems to work but is also binds the ram in a way that I have to manually lift the ram back up which I don't care for. The last match my necks were getting a little stiff and I had to apply pressure on top of the ram with the palm of my hand to seat the bullets. But I looked around and I saw a couple of other doing a similar thing with their inline presses. I guess I just never noticed.

Anyone run into this problem? If so, how do I address it?

Thanks, Tim

I've got a couple Sinclair's and have never had this problem..... sounds like a design thing?

al

Obviously a problem malfunction.
Let Lester fix it.

Called Lester this morning. He said there is an issue with a small percentage of the presses and a fix was underway. It would be a month or so before the fix would be ready. Maybe he was un-aware of it the first time I called about it right after I recieved it. They (Bruno's) have always been a standup outfit in past dealings.

Tim

Should have bought a RCBS Partner. Strong, cheap, good leverage and plenty accurate. Just a tad heavier than yours though.

Donald

Should have bought a RCBS Partner. Strong, cheap, good leverage and plenty accurate. Just a tad heavier than yours though.

Donald

How do you use this as an arbor press? Is there some sort of conversion? a shellholder plate? How do you compensate for different heights?

al

Al,
Now of course not. I misread your post. I missed the "arbor" part. My bad. Sorry. I personally have the Wilson seater and the Redding Micro top seater. I much prefer the Redding. The Wilson is good, but not any better than the Redding and a lot slower. Just my opinion. I have an arbor press but prefer the Redding in a Partner press with a short handle. Am thinking of getting the cheapest Lee press just for bullet seating. as it is made of aluminum.

Donald

Al,
Now of course not. I misread your post. I missed the "arbor" part. My bad. Sorry. I personally have the Wilson seater and the Redding Micro top seater. I much prefer the Redding. The Wilson is good, but not any better than the Redding and a lot slower. Just my opinion. I have an arbor press but prefer the Redding in a Partner press with a short handle. Am thinking of getting the cheapest Lee press just for bullet seating. as it is made of aluminum.

Donald

Ahhh, got it :)

I've got a big RCBS that actually does have the arbor press plate attachment, it's not real handy but they do exist.

al

Luckily, I have Jones arbor press, strong enough to use with Wilson FL dies, but these days I tote my Harrell's Combo press to the range.

Back