Is there a 600 yd. + range in Alabama?

G

gt40

A co-worker lives on the Georgia Alabama line dew west of Atlanta. He wants to get into long range shooting. Is there a club in Alabama that is within reasonable driving distance that has at least 600 yds. & better if out to 1000 yds.?

gt40

F Class in AL

There was a gentleman from GA. last Sept. on this forum that said he used a 600 yard range in Opelika, Al for F class shooting. I think his name is Ed Baker.
He also said that Ft. Benning had some long range matches. I have been waiting for him to post a schedule for 2010. Hopefully he will soon.
Regards,
JDM

Thanks Joe my friend is looking into that range. He told me that it may have a 1000 yd. range there also.

gt40

Ft. Benning is the only one I know close enough. Gt, have you stretched that 6br you built out to 600? If so, how's it shoot? I'm building one off of the Savage target action myself.

Ft. Benning is the only one I know close enough. Gt, have you stretched that 6br you built out to 600? If so, how's it shoot? I'm building one off of the Savage target action myself.

Not yet Yote. When I get my new 6-24x50mm Viper PST FFP in MOA Turrets & reticle I will go to a range near Athens, Georgia that gets out to 700 yards to get my drop chart. I have shot it at 307 yds to check the drop with the 105 Berger VLS. I have shot a couple of 5 shot groups at 200 yds with no wind that measured in the low .3"s. I don't remember ever having any groups go larger than 3/4" at 200 and most are less than 1/2".

When I get the drop chart I'll have Kenton Industries make me new turrets calibrated in yards to match the yards on my laser rangefinder. This will be my hunting rifle next fall when I go to Wyoming for antelope and mule deer. I'll probably use my 30-06 for the mulies unless I get a close shot behind the ear with the 6mm Norma BR.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

gt40

Sorry, my shift at work has changed and I did not see this post until last night. There is a 1000 yard range in Opelika, Al. It is a private range. The matches shot there are not benchrest matches and no benchrest equipment is allowed. They are either tactical or a modified "F" class type match with steel targets at 600, 800, 900, 1000. You must contact DocB" on Snipershide.net to shoot there. They only hold 6 matches a year. "DocB" has all of the rules and directions to the range. There are 4 matches remaining, with the next match May 8th with a practice day on Friday the 7th. If you have any additional questions feel free to contact me by PM and I will give you my cell number and we can discuss the match.

Ed

Sorry, my shift at work has changed and I did not see this post until last night. There is a 1000 yard range in Opelika, Al. It is a private range. The matches shot there are not benchrest matches and no benchrest equipment is allowed. They are either tactical or a modified "F" class type match with steel targets at 600, 800, 900, 1000. You must contact DocB" on Snipershide.net to shoot there. They only hold 6 matches a year. "DocB" has all of the rules and directions to the range. There are 4 matches remaining, with the next match May 8th with a practice day on Friday the 7th. If you have any additional questions feel free to contact me by PM and I will give you my cell number and we can discuss the match.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I'll send you an e-mail.

gt40

Gt40

Did you make the match yesterday? How was it? I could not make it but would like to hear from somone who did.
Thanks,
JDM

I shot the match. It was very windy with many changes of direction. I did not shoot very well. We had 8 relays of six shooters. I still had a great time. Any day at the range beats a day at work!

Back