Is the focus of the image and the reticle plane be different?

R

Russ Schaeffer

Can the focus of the image and the reticle plane be different?

When adjusting the scope do you focus the image or turn the AO until you get the reticle so it doesn't move when you move you eye position. I guess I should know this by now.

Thanx, Russ

Sorry for the poorly worded title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russ, I am not sure that this will help but I was taught that you should take the scope and point it up at the sky and then adjust the eyepiece until the reticle is clearly focused. Then when you sight on your target you adjust the AO and both the target and the reticle should be in focus. This method has worked well for me. Peter.

The AO is for parallax adjustment. You want to adjust it so that the reticule does not move when you move your eye. Ideally it should and usually is when the target comes into focus or very close but it doesn't always work out like that.

The idea is that the reticle is at the exact focus point of the objective lens for zero parallax. The exact focus point varies with the distance from the objective to the target. That's why the parallax adjustment is required. If the eyepiece is focused properly on the reticle, them all the criteria for a sharp, zero parallax image are met.

RWO

Russ, I am not sure that this will help but I was taught that you should take the scope and point it up at the sky and then adjust the eyepiece until the reticle is clearly focused. Then when you sight on your target you adjust the AO and both the target and the reticle should be in focus. This method has worked well for me. Peter.

I think that this is essentially correct but that MOVEMENT overrides clarity so that if, after doing this, you still have movement then some additional tweaking of the eyepiece may be necessary.

In other words, this method is "correct" but isn't always sufficient, especially with high power scopes. Sometimes some fiddling with the eyepiece will still be required before you get both clarity and lack of movement (parallax.)

al

Back