Is H4198 a dirty powder?

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Have been shooting LT-30 in my 30BR but haven't had good X counts so I decided to try H4198. Shot a VFS match today and started out fairly well scoring 10 X's on the first two targets but dropped to 3 on the third target and 1 on the fourth target. So I decided to clean the barrel before the last target. First 2 patches were pretty dark so I used a brush and then more patches. Last target was 5 X's. With LT-30 I didn't clean for the whole match but had mediocre X counts in the 17 -19 range. I'm concerned as I've just resurrected my 6 Beggs barrel for Group shooting and Gene recommended H4198 for that cartridge. Anyway, is this typical of H4198?

"generally" speaking, poor burn gives a dirty bbl.
poor burn is typically low pressure.
so were you shooting a a middle or low node ?
i shoot 35-36 with lt30 and 112's seems to be clean.
have not shot enough 4198 to answer.
we need that part time maine/part time fla guy to jump in.

Well, I was shooting 34.5 of H4198. I've got a case of BR-4's I haven't used yet, maybe that might help.

Thanks guys

OK, so I'd better look elsewhere. rsmithsr suggested poor burn could do that. So what might lead to poor burn? Faulty ignition, firing pin spring,? I'll be working on the 6 Beggs this week using H4198. I didn't have these issues back in 2013 when I started with the 6 Beggs. Well this keeps life interesting if not puzzling. :confused:

I use

34.5 gr H4198 in my 30BR in the current barrel. I get a couple of very black wet patches when I first start cleaning, then use a bronze brush. This gives another dark patch but after that the lighten right up and I just then check for any copper.

I will tell you that I do get some carbon buildup in the neck area and just in front of the neck that I always have been successful getting out with IOSSO or rem clean.

I may try some CCI 450 primers, but will first back my load down some, just to see if the burn is noticeably cleaner. From what I read CCI uses more primer mix to get the hotter spark. Overall its a darn good powder for the 30 BR case capacity.

Neck tension and bullet jam also affect this. -Al

So heavier neck tension and/or bullet jam would lead to higher pressure and better burn? I was using .003 neck tension and .006 in from "touch". IIRC the distance from touch to jam in this case was .040.

So heavier neck tension and/or bullet jam would lead to higher pressure and better burn? I was using .003 neck tension and .006 in from "touch". IIRC the distance from touch to jam in this case was .040.

In general...yes. Given proper neck clearance on a 30BR, you can see the powder residue in the neck go from blackish to grey as neck tension increases and the 'jam' increases with a given powder charge weight.

On a 30BR (assuming a case neck that isn't work-hardened), mine have all liked a bunch of neck tension (a button .004 under what a loaded round measures across the pressure ring).

I confess to paying less than zero attention to the -jam-touch-jump jargon :eek:. Being kind of simple, I chamber a dummy round and keep seating the bullet back a few thou. at a time until the rifling marks just disappear and then measure the seating stem length and adjust it .020 shorter. This gives a solid 'jam/seat'.

To summarize, my recipe to start has always been:
-An absolute minimum of .002 neck clearance (.0025-.003 is better)
-Well prepped case necks that aren't hardened from the expansion process
-Case length at least .020 shorter than chamber length
-.020 jam/seat
-.003 neck tension
-Fed 205M primer
-H4198 @ 32.5

Start here and go up by .3's with the powder until it groups well. Then, give it another .001 of neck tension and reshoot the powder charge that gives you the best groups. Finally, back the seating depth off .005 at a time if you feel it needs tweaking.

Done this way, a 30BR will 'tune up' quickly and predictably, provided everything else in the rig is up to the task.

For what it's worth.... -Al

Last edited:
H -4198

Have been shooting LT-30 in my 30BR but haven't had good X counts so I decided to try H4198. Shot a VFS match today and started out fairly well scoring 10 X's on the first two targets but dropped to 3 on the third target and 1 on the fourth target. So I decided to clean the barrel before the last target. First 2 patches were pretty dark so I used a brush and then more patches. Last target was 5 X's. With LT-30 I didn't clean for the whole match but had mediocre X counts in the 17 -19 range. I'm concerned as I've just resurrected my 6 Beggs barrel for Group shooting and Gene recommended H4198 for that cartridge. Anyway, is this typical of H4198?

I use a magnum primer in everything. Started years ago. Use H- 4198 in my 20 P.

4198 burns clean without a mag primer in my 222 and 223. But that is just my exsperience. when using a ball powder I always use a mag primer.....works for me.

Mort

Last edited:
Back