Is blow back common with all muzzlebrakes

S

sicero

I shot a rifle with a brake sometime back and upon firing I would get a puff of air back in my face. Just enough to bug me. Is this common with all brakes? Kenny

I shot a rifle with a brake sometime back and upon firing I would get a puff of air back in my face. Just enough to bug me. Is this common with all brakes? Kenny

yes,

It's how they work, by redirecting muzzle blast.

al

Also will depend on barrel length to some extent as the shorter the barrel the more likely it will do what you experienced and as mentioned the style of the brake itself.

It is common with some muzzlebrakes.
Try being the spotter for an M82 if you want to experience blow back. Bring your Sun, Wind, and Dust goggles. It rates as one of the 5 worst jobs in the army.

I shot my friends 338-416 Rigby Imp. about 20 times and each shot felt like somebody had slapped me in the forehead. It gave me a headache and I took about a 45 min. nap and felt a lot better. It has a very effective brake on it.
I've read that the shock wave from these can damage your hearing through your skull, regardless of hearing protection worn by the shooter.
It just isn't fun....

Jay, Idaho

The puff is worse if the muzzle is close to something - like a bench top... the same with the noise, it is reflective. I think you also notice things like this more because the recoil is so light.

I fired several rounds through a McMillan 50 BMG a few years ago, and still remember how the brake's backblast flipped the bill of my cap up. If it hadn't been for the clamping action of the muffs I was wearing, I believe it would've blown the cap off at each shot.

OTOH, I recently installed a Vais brake on the 28" bbl. on one of my 284 prone rifles, and while recoil is greatly reduced, I haven't noticed any backblast whatsoever. Sure is fun being able to watch the bullet's impact on steel targets as close as 600yds.; with the scope set on 16x, the brake has reduced muzzle flip to the point that I never loose the sight picture through the scope when shooting off rests. I'm shooting mostly S175MKs & Berger 180VLDs at velocities from 2760-2860fps.

Jeez guys, clamshell-type brakes vent gas backwards. Those with holes in the side vent gas at right angles to the bore. This isn't rocket science (or maybe it is?).

Clamshell brakes -- or those that direct gas rearward -- are illegal in IBS 1000 yard light guns. The only time I felt a puff was at Iowa, where the benched are staggered -- the "puff" was from the shooter on the next bench.

Muzzle blast also varies with the powder used. If you're using something real slow like H1000 or R25, those powders are going to produce up to 3 times more muzzle pressure than something like R15. The reason is the slower burn rate results in more pressure after a longer time. I seem to remember numbers of H1000 @ 6000psi muzzle pressure vs 2000psi from H4350 or something like that.

Charles, I once had a 30 cal with a brake of my own manuf that was completely legal by the rules, but boy, it shouldn't have been.. That thing was brutal. It hurt my eyes and teeth to pull the trigger on that gun from the muzzle pressure. That gun used ~72gn 4831SC.

99.9% of the time though, the brakes allowed for use in competition are pretty harmless on the next bench.

Jeez guys, clamshell-type brakes vent gas backwards. Those with holes in the side vent gas at right angles to the bore. This isn't rocket science (or maybe it is?).

Charles,

I put something similar to a Vais on my rifles but my friend makes them with a big expansion chamber in the front portion of the brakes. So a lot of gas is allowed to go through the holes, the outer "tube" being rather thin. The big 338 that I mentioned before was probably loaded with a bunch of 7828 or H1000. Not fun for shooting groups.

Jay, Idaho

I had a 300 H&H mag magnaported which is a different thing altogether but it took the muzzle jump away and made the rifle manageable. I didn't notice any difference other than muzzle jump. The puff of air bothered me enough to not use a brake. Thanks for the input guys. Kenny

Back