Irony

H

hulk

Given that some people never learn, here we go again.

From that paragon of factual information and fair play, "the place of record" for rimfire accuracy.

My second favorite Kool-Aid commando has decided to take some shots at a gentleman from this forum, now known as "the other forum".

He seems to believe that it is ironic the this gentleman takes exception to several "theories" being preached by a gunsmith of some repute, while this same gunsmith is building rifles with world record scores of late, one of the few bits of factual information found there. For the sake of complete disclosure, this same gunsmith put together rifles that finished in less lofty placings, highlighting the fact that the shooter might actually have a part in those scores. Imagine, the best rifle, great ammo and middle of the pack.

In the interest of equal time, ironic is truly when someone does nothing but espouses posts from other web sites regarding an expensive and comprehensive study on barrel indexing that supports their position and months later, lacks the fortitude to admit that no "proof" is coming. All of this at the same time that our world record gunsmith continues to claim that nothing happens when a barrel is indexed.

Now this gunsmith may be one of the best of this generation but to say barrels do not "shoot different" in different positions borders on denial. Even barrels with near perfect bores show different POI through different positions given a constant POA. While no one may be able to explain what barrel indexing does or whether it has any impact on accuracy, there is no doubt that barrels do "shoot different".

Ironic isn't it.

When the "other" person talks about how it shoots he is talking about how it groups or how it shoots at a target not that the POI changes, if you index the barrel then re-zero your scope then can you guarentee it "shoots different"?I think not.

Mike,

I agree with you. However, the goal of most testing is to isolate a single factor and observe if and how that factor changes. If the POI changes during a change of index position while maintaining the POA, then the barrel does "shoot different".

Now, you may not prefer a clamp breech action but this type of action makes this testing easy and repeatable. Torque values are easy to control (+/- 1%) with quality equipment and torque levels are significantly below where they would change ANY bore dimensions and this has been verified with modern air gage systems.

It has been noted that one other action manufacturer made a clamp breech rimfire action, never to be put into production.

If anyone has any factual information, not opinions, theories or testing that cannot be validated/witnessed, regarding a correlation, or lack thereof, between barrel indexing and accuracy, I am ready to listen.

Back