Intro to barreling or something similar

intro to barreling or similar

Yes your correct . Trinidad in colorado.

Not everyone can fit this in their schedule, but if someone took machine tool 1, which focuses on lathe operation and milling machine ops, indicating workpieces, 4 and 3 jaw chucks, faceplates, centers....turning, tapering, tool making, threading...etc. Putting a barrel on should not be a problem, with a small amount of task specific research.
That's exactly what I was looking for at the local technical school, but their course catalog doesn't list any machine tool classes. I was bummed.

I am concerned about taking up a slot in a class while slowing the other students. I'd planned to talk directly with instructors to make sure I start at the right place.

Greg J.

That's exactly what I was looking for at the local technical school, but their course catalog doesn't list any machine tool classes. I was bummed.

I am concerned about taking up a slot in a class while slowing the other students. I'd planned to talk directly with instructors to make sure I start at the right place.

Greg J.

Greg,

You are starting off on the right foot...research. Depending on your aptitude, you could pick up a small lathe with tooling and machine tool book and start widdling on some stuff. There are lots of good books out there.

Most people, interested in a subject learn very quickly.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Ben

Last edited:
A prerequisite of a gunsmithing course would be a machine tool operations course.

If you have not taken machine tool as a trade or a curriculum, then a course on rifle building, barreling, etc. would be a waste, and you would just be slowing down the other students.

I found precision barrel fitting very easy, after taking 3 semesters of machine tool operations 1,2,3 and 4 years work/study in a machine shop. (as part of an engineering degree)...and doing some research and developing a specific procedure for benchrest barrel fitting.

Not everyone can fit this in their schedule, but if someone took machine tool 1, which focuses on lathe operation and milling machine ops, indicating workpieces, 4 and 3 jaw chucks, faceplates, centers....turning, tapering, tool making, threading...etc. Putting a barrel on should not be a problem, with a small amount of task specific research.

All good gunsmiths are machinists, whether they admit it or not. Start there.

Not trying to step on any of the other fine and knowledgeable toes in here, but the above is great advice.
Knowing the basics...and more... about the machinery that you are using, correct and practical ways to do various operations and setups, toolmaking and usage...are all things that you are going to need to know regardles of whether you are barreling a rifle or making an axle for a little red wagon!
Shortcuts will get you hurt and cost you money.
Mark

Just a quick point that might be misunderstood. I'm not doing this out of a desire to earn a living, supplement my income or to save money. It's something that I want to do for my own fund of knowledge. I've got the money and I've got the time...it's use it or lose it vacation...,

So if I can satisfy the ethics of taking up a space in a class, why the heck would I not?

Greg J.

Back