Internet browser issues

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
I had some problems with Internet Explorer last year where I couldn't login to some sites, notably Brownells. I'd put in my username and password and it just wouldn't login. So, I changed to Firefox and it worked OK for a while until I noticed my computer slowing down. I opened Task Manager and saw that Firefox was gorging on the cpu cycles. It would typically show that, over time, it used up to 60% of the cpu. One time it got up to 92%. So, a few days ago I decided to try Google Chrome. It seemed OK and didn't eat cpu cycles. This morning, however, while perusing the Gunsmith forum I noticed some words underlined with a lttle green icon superscript. In this case the words were "cleaning rod" and if I clicked on the words I was taken to Brownells web site. I doubt this is something in Wilburs software. Has anyone else seen this? It's probably some add-on to Chrome that I'll have to find and disable. I also have audio playing from some ads that I can't find to turn off. It wouldn't surprise me to see in the future that you might be able to use the internet free of advertising if you paid an annual fee. Right now Amazon does that with their Kindle. You can buy a Kindle that won't show ads if you pay more for it. Oh well, we live in interesting times.

Could be !!!

Where exactly were the words "cleaning rod" that was a link. I need to look to see if the link is there rather than just in your browser.

Wilbur

This occurred in the Gunsmith forum, lapping compound, post #3. There were two underlined phrases, "get my mail" and "cleaning rod". During the interim from my original post I had a message that shockwave had crashed. The underlining went away. So this is a shockwave function. I opened Firefox and I don't see that underlining there, so that must be an add-on to Chrome.

OK, there was an add-on called "Shopping sidekick" that was installed by a third party. I disabled it and all is well again after re-starting Chrome.

Last edited:
Back