Interesting new action from Savage

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
While clearly not Benchrest relavent, the new Savage 'Impulse' action is pretty unique.

The thing I find most interesting is how the barrel is retained in the action by way of four Allen headed pinch bolts. ;) Some years back, there was some pretty heated debate here when I posted about just such a barrel retention system used on a HBR gun. The guy that did this was a pretty savvy tinkerer and certainly thought out-of-the-box. His approach was using the system as a way to adjust muzzle timing for tuning.

One well known poster (at that time) postulated that laws of Physics dictated that the barrel was going to fly down range if such a setup was ever fired. Darkness was going to descend on the Earth, planets were going to collide...generally the end of the World as we know it! My apologies to R.E.M. for usurping their lyrics..:D Funny thing...I shot next to this shooter and his rifle for two days and none of this happened.

Thoughts? -Al

https://www.savagearms.com/impulse

While clearly not Benchrest relavent, the new Savage 'Impulse' action is pretty unique.

The thing I find most interesting is how the barrel is retained in the action by way of four Allen headed pinch bolts. ;) Some years back, there was some pretty heated debate here when I posted about just such a barrel retention system used on a HBR gun. The guy that did this was a pretty savvy tinkerer and certainly thought out-of-the-box. His approach was using the system as a way to adjust muzzle timing for tuning.

One well known poster (at that time) postulated that laws of Physics dictated that the barrel was going to fly down range if such a setup was ever fired. Darkness was going to descend on the Earth, planets were going to collide...generally the end of the World as we know it! My apologies to R.E.M. for usurping their lyrics..:D Funny thing...I shot next to this shooter and his rifle for two days and none of this happened.

Thoughts? -Al

From my point of view, darkness does seem to be descending.

Straight pull and roller locked like a H&K too. Pretty sure Savage decided that they've got keeping the barrel in place covered. Wonder how many people will just snug them up, get distracted and launch the barrel? Anyway, that's as innovative a rifle as I've seen, very interesting. Controlled rate of fire, if that matters, will probably be close to semi-auto. Accuracy remains to be seen.

Interesting indeed

I personally wouldn't part with $1450. for a Savage but I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I like the concept. I have a Swiss straight pull that works and shoots very well.

Pete

Last edited:

Thoughts? -Al

Thanks for the kind words Al but this system is a far cry from the one you showed back in the day.... go ahead and post our relevant interplay

prove your point :)

Thanks for the kind words Al but this system is a far cry from the one you showed back in the day.... go ahead and post our relevant interplay prove your point :)

Morning, Al.

I do recall you having some thoughts on it, but it wasn't your comments I was referencing. ;) No point to prove...just an interesting concept to ponder, for those interested in such things.

Hope all is well. Good shootin'. -Al

I have shot

my Swiss K32 rifle a lot at military rifle matches. Its POI and function is dead on with GP11 ammo. I have reloaded for it before but the generous military chamber required a lot of case resizing and life was not that good.

The one thing I noticed at first was my tendency to use the "drumstick" of my right thumb to push the bolt closed. After a while that part of my hand was just screaming. I had to consciously make myself use my fingers and thumb to push it closed and that pretty much solved the problem.

Straight pull is nothing new but perhaps savage, if the chamber doesn't allow too much case expansion, has a winner for reloaders. The only downside is the lack of camming force to fully close the bolt on a loaded round and for extraction. Prolly using a small base resize die if you reload for it will be a wise thing to do. Good for Savage for thinking a bit outside the box.

new action

The Sig/Sauer 202 used a "pinch-barrel" system and worked very well. I never heard of the barrels "flying out the front" or any other problems.

Pinched barrel was used on the PGM Precision Ultima Ratio back in the '90's. As far as I know this rifle, which was extremely advertised at the time, keeping a reasonable receiver diameter, and a reasonable barrel extension thickness ends in a very skinny barrel trunion. The barrel extension brings the chamber resistance, aka extremely thin barrel chamber walls. Personnally, I do not like that system AT ALL. I remember the barrel/barrel extension fitting to be a proprietary process.

The linear lock have been here in Europe for more than, wow, I would say 30 years, with the Mauser 66, the Sauer 200, the Blaser. All were advertized for "speedy" reloading while shooting at running games. Not my kind of hunting.

I personnally witnessed strengh issue in the Blaser "umbrella" locking system, with spent cases that were absolutely not re-sizeable. Have eared there have been some accidents and trials against Blaser in the US at that time (1990-2000).

That video is great, it showed the camming action that forces the balls into position to lock the bolt.

I would suspect that this system requires a fully sized case that will offer little interference as the case enters the chamber, as there does not appear to be any mechanical assist that is present in a bolt action as a shooter pushes down on the bolt and the bolt lugs follow the ramps.

That video is great, it showed the camming action that forces the balls into position to lock the bolt.

I would suspect that this system requires a fully sized case that will offer little interference as the case enters the chamber, as there does not appear to be any mechanical assist that is present in a bolt action as a shooter pushes down on the bolt and the bolt lugs follow the ramps.

And what about primary extraction caming ?

This is a lack on many, if not all, including Schmidt-Rubin K11 K31.
So ...
Fully sized case AND light load ...

Back