Interarms Mark X as a Swtch Barrel?

I would agree with Alinwa that it could be benificial to have some slight support of the front face of the action . However it would only be good if the action front ring face is square and flat.
Unfortunately a lot of ex military M98 actions are not square or flat on the front face.
If the front face is trued then arranging for a slight lock on the front face also could help and I have one done this way.

However that is not the original intention of the original design.
Although when you remove some ex military barrels you can see that the slight barrel shoulder does come into some contact with the action front face, sometimes even sometimes not and sometimes you can see a slight gap.
Mausers and their parts have been made in so many places in the world and under greatly varying conditions.
The advice about a .002 gap is not wrong in its context of an ex military action that may be out of square on the front face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with Alinwa that it could be benificial to have some slight support of the front face of the action . However it would only be good if the action front ring face is square and flat.
Unfortunately a lot of ex military M98 actions are not square or flat on the front face.
If the front face is trued then arranging for a slight lock on the front face also could help and I have one done this way.

We agree here.

I presumed that the gunsmith would square up the action face.....this was presumptuous of me BUT, I know who the presumed gunsmith is :D

al

Always got to make some nasty remark don't you.
" I know who the presumed gunsmith is "
The discussion was about the function of the armourers lugs in a M98 Mauser not what can be acheaved by accurising an action.
As usual you ruin a discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always got to make some nasty remark don't you.
" I know who the presumed gunsmith is "
The discussion was about the function of the armourers lugs in a M98 Mauser not what can be acheaved by accurising an action.
As usual you ruin a discussion.

huhhh??

as usual I have no idea what you're talking about......

al

Peter Paul Mauser died in 1913 so Franz Achleithner would have been only a child when Paul Mauser was an old man to be still alive and know you in America , Ferlach is in Austria , Mauser worked in Orbendorf in Germany .

Peter Paul Mauser died in 1913 so Franz Achleithner would have been only a child when Paul Mauser was an old man to be still alive and know you in America , Ferlach is in Austria , Mauser worked in Orbendorf in Germany .

And??? What part of "family" and "third generation" don't you understand?

BTW it's Oberndorf.

al

Hey Guys,
I started this thread with a simple question and certainly didn't want it to turn into an egg throwing contest. Thanks to all for your great help and in formation. This is the first time I had the guts to post to a forum inhabitied with for real gunsmiths. And I for sure didn't want to start something like this.
If you guys have a real difference of opinion, it might be better to take it over to PM's. Or perhaps you need a time out??
Thanks
Jim

Success!

Hey All,
I have had my switch barrel Interarms Mark X for several months now and it seems to be a 100% success. The two barrels are a 338 Win Mag and a 375 Ruger Mag. The gunsmith put witness marks on the barrels and receiver. When I switch and line the marks up, it only take a few shots to get either barrel sighted back in.
Thanks for all your input.
Even though I didn't find a moose to test the 375 out on, I am still a happy camper.
Jim

Jim, I'm happy you got something you really like. Remember it is the nature of a Man to start wishing you had the same thing in and identical rifle, then the search starts all over again.

Just keep in mind, it's impossible to corner the market. :D

Back