Indicating micrometer?

If over an inch and you have gauge pins they will also work but not the length but the diameter is what you want reference. Myself I am done digitals and went back to those that are not.

Ive done this too

If over an inch and you have gauge pins they will also work but not the length but the diameter is what you want reference. Myself I am done digitals and went back to those that are not.

BUT, I think the reason the "real" standards are full-scale is to detect any distortion in the threaded rod at the heart of the thing - if it's bent or stretched that should show up on a full-range measurement, but might not on something smaller. So, if your standard is larger than the thing you are trying to measure, you're probably OK, if it's smaller there's some risk. (Though not much if you take care of your tools...)

GsT

Thanks Gene and a great point. Do you happen to know if guage pins are also ground to an exacting length.

I doubt they are - I've never seen a tolerance spec on the length, which would presumably be stated if they were.

GsT

Back