IBS rule on 10.5 lb weight

IBS rule on 10 .5 LB rifle weight

Seeing you want to talk about certified scales.
The nice people who calibrate meat scales also certify them to conform to State laws in most States,
I remember a dear friend that passed away who did just that.
I'm sure you have heard of Toledo scales. Boomer set me up with an old er model Meat scale that he had repaired and certified.
Thats long gone since my move though { wishing I still had it. } It was withing 1/100th of a pound

A local hardware store sells empty metal cans (like paint comes in), in several sizes, and I have a container of lead shot out in the garage somewhere. I have thought of making a check weight for personal use using that combination. I thought of using heavy sand, that I have a good supply of (garnet) but sand can be a bit damp, depending on where it is stored, and that would introduce a variable that would not be good, although one would think that after a can was sealed, that that wouldn't be much of an issue. I have a Harbor Freight package scale that has a 70# capacity, and weighs to a tenth of an ounce, that seems to be pretty consistent, and evidently is programmed to settle down to a stable reading. I got it to weigh rifles, with a 20% off coupon. I have zero complaints about how it works. I thought that I would take my check weight, with a little material to adjust with, to a local post office to see how their weight compares to mine.

my previous post was sarcasm.
Anyway. One of our local shooters takes his rifle to the local Post Office. Somehow it works. And he is not in jail.
His first Super Shoot his rifle was heavy. He loves his trigger thingie. So he took off the butt plate.

sounds good..1/100 of a pound..but a pound is big...
1/10 is 1.6 oz, 1/100 is 0.16 oz.....not that small with today's electronic scales....esp when looking for a 1 oz error.

use aluminum because it is easier to turn to a weight..a given cut removes a small amount of weight.
Come on Mike in Colorado!

I would think any company that sells and inspects scales could certify weights and put an inspection sticker on them. I had the same scale company check the scales I use to weigh my guns on that checks my truck scales. You may not need to buy high dollar check weights.

Later
Dave

Butch
Mike in CO forgot to allow for the weight differential caused by the rarified air in Colorado.
All his weight computations are flawed.
Stool remains the same regardless of atmospheric pressure.

Weighing a Rifle

another gremlin that has reared its ugly head in the past is someone weighing a rifle at home on a scale measuring in pounds and tenths of a pound, and then having the rifle weighted at a match on a scale with lab certified weights, the scale weighing in pounds and ounces. Unless you convert tenths to ounces at home, you can end up in trouble weight wise at the match.

A rule, as written, that cannot be practically enforced, cheapens the rest of the rules in the eyes of those that should be following them.

My take:

Some enterprising person out there sell, at a reasonable price, chunks of metal that weigh 10.5 and 13.5 lbs and let's move on to more weighty, pun intended, matters.

Last edited:
Butch

Gary,
I thought 10.5 was 10lbs 8oz?

A scale weighing in pounds and tenths...10.5 = 10 lb 8 oz but if you think it's weighing in pounds and ounces you "think" your gun weighs 10 lbs 5 oz.

So a 10.7 gun on a lbs and tenths scale really weighs 10 lbs 11 oz.

Last edited:
IBS rule on 10 .5 LB rifle weight

LOL wow what did I start?

It was a simple rule question.

So I guess it proves the point STOOL is really Mike in Colorado. Why isn't it STOOL from Colorado?

A scale weighing in pounds and tenths...10.5 = 10 lb 8 oz but if you think it's weighing in pounds and ounces you "think" your gun weighs 10 lbs 5 oz.

So a 10.7 gun on a lbs and tenths scale really weighs 10 lbs 11 oz.

I am sure there's an APP for your phone.
It's Convert.exe for your computer. Convert at the app store. And they are free.
Both measurements are over weight. Take off the butt plate.:rolleyes:

I don't have a problem as I have an official set of weights that are made by Don Nielson. I use a grocery scale that is actually certified. I put my Nielson check weights on it to verify and then set my gun on it.

I can tell you from experience that 10.54 is legal and 10.56 is not (NBRSA). I was at a match with a rifle that had been weighed two matches in a row prior to this match and the gun weighed 10.5.Wfen I arrived I weighed the gun myself and it was good (1st set of scales) that set of scales went bad so they went and got another set of scales. I weighed the gun on the new scales it weighed 10.5 life is good, the second set of scales tore up and they bought a third set of scales and I didn't bother to weigh the rifle, well when the match started they called random bench numbers to have their rifles weighed guess what mine weighed 10.56. In the defense of the two range officers, they offered me every opportunity by asking if I had my turret covers on while shooting, the good honest pi$$ed off guy that I was said yes they were on there so I got disqualified. The point that I'm trying to make is that if the gun shoots at 10.5 it will shoot at 10.4. (good advice from one of the guy's that weighed the rifle!)

Scotty, you are correct, a 10.4 will shoot the same as a 10.56. Sometimes loosing a tenth of a pound is tough.

Certified Weights

The local club I belong to needed a set of certified weights. We purchase a legal for trade set from McMaster Carr about 12 years ago. They came with a certification that ensures accuracy down to .001 pound and a source of the traceablility. We purchase three weights, 10 pounds, 3 pounds, and 1/2 pound. In addition, the weights we purchase were made of a 300 series stainless steel that will not rust. They are stored at the range and have endure many Ohio winters. These will cover a typical hunter rifle, a light varmint/sporter, or a heavy varmint rifle in both the IBS and NBRSA. Our decision for these rather expensive calibrated test weights was based up the scales that are currently available. Most operate using a load cell. A load cell will only withstand a few collisions or heavily placed rifles. When in doubt we verify our accuracy with the test weights. The current scale being used has a +.01 pound heavy reading. Depending on the ruling organization of the match, we put an accepted weight on the scale for each class. This ends all arguments and makes the job of the referees a small duty not a chore. Remember your referees are also fellow competitors. If it was available a large balance beam scale that was legal for trade would be my first choice in an accurate scale. Cost would be the limiting factor.

Randy

Why not ask your local weights and measures people to come out and certify the scale? Ask at a local grocery or deli or anywhere that sells retail by the pound they will most likely have the name of the people who check weights/scales for the county.

The local club I belong to needed a set of certified weights. We purchase a legal for trade set from McMaster Carr about 12 years ago. They came with a certification that ensures accuracy down to .001 pound and a source of the traceablility. We purchase three weights, 10 pounds, 3 pounds, and 1/2 pound. In addition, the weights we purchase were made of a 300 series stainless steel that will not rust. They are stored at the range and have endure many Ohio winters. These will cover a typical hunter rifle, a light varmint/sporter, or a heavy varmint rifle in both the IBS and NBRSA. Our decision for these rather expensive calibrated test weights was based up the scales that are currently available. Most operate using a load cell. A load cell will only withstand a few collisions or heavily placed rifles. When in doubt we verify our accuracy with the test weights. The current scale being used has a +.01 pound heavy reading. Depending on the ruling organization of the match, we put an accepted weight on the scale for each class. This ends all arguments and makes the job of the referees a small duty not a chore. Remember your referees are also fellow competitors. If it was available a large balance beam scale that was legal for trade would be my first choice in an accurate scale. Cost would be the limiting factor.

Randy

Good post Randy, thanks.

Back