IBS Resiprosity ??

Jim the year is 1968 and the targets were 1022 yards. That way they couldn't say it was short. First they shot off portable benches. I believe the IBS started around 1997. Bill Shehane, Dave Tooley or maybe Jeff Walker can confirm this. A few members of the Hawks ridge club sat down with the Williamsport guys and talked about rules. I believe they took most of Williamsports rules and started shooting. They did change the weight of the light gun and the number of shots. The year before they started Williamsport ran a partial year with 16 1/2 pound guns and 10 shots. They didn't start light gun till 1998 I think. Matt

Matt, If i remember right Reade was in place in 1962. and it was the only 1000 yd range but i can't remember if Johnstown had a 1000 yr. or maybe just up to 600 yds. i helped tear it down because people moved in on the impact area…… jim

Last edited:
Jim the year is 1968 and the targets were 1022 yards. That way they couldn't say it was short. First they shot off portable benches. I believe the IBS started around 1997. Bill Shehane, Dave Tooley or maybe Jeff Walker can confirm this. A few members of the Hawks ridge club sat down with the Williamsport guys and talked about rules. I believe they took most of Williamsports rules and started shooting. They did change the weight of the light gun and the number of shots. The year before they started Williamsport ran a partial year with 16 1/2 pound guns and 10 shots. They didn't start light gun till 1998 I think. Matt

I did not start shooting 1000yds until 2001. But, what I have always been told is that guys from VA and NC who were shooting at Williamsport, decided to start up clubs in VA and NC in the mid 1990's. Along with the leadership from PA, they went to the IBS winter meeting and the three clubs wanted to discuss IBS sanctioning. For whatever reason PA decided not to, but VA and NC did. PA was absolutely up and running WAY before VA and NC, but ( and remember this is what I have been told...not what I know to be fact ) PA only had one class. VA and NC came up with the LG class before PA. PA followed suit but with different rules. Such as weight, barrel taper, and number of shots. So, according to what I have always been told, the opportunity was there from the start for everything to be the same. Now if this is not right, please someone step forward and say what did happen.

Jeff Walker
IBS Exec. Sec.

Here is an other point,when i was loading the carriers and equipment from Johnston, they had 6 concrete benches ………. jim

Back