IBS Benchrest Surveys (LONG)

I took the survey, and I answered yes to growing the sport, but with the caviat of not doing it at the cost of dumbing it down. I think active Mentor Programs such as what we have, (abiet on a informal basis), at Tomball is the real key.

In the Houston Area, we have picked up several new shooters, (mainly through our Tomball Club Match Program). this past year, mainly in the Score Venue. The will be competing in the new NBRSA Varmint for Score Matches next year and some local Group Matches.

Just as a note, I said no to the equalizing target thing, but also said that I would continue to shoot score regardless. .......jackie

Last edited:
Interesting. I answered "No" as well. "Kind of" wasn't an option.

Our sport is what it is. Changes that accommodate new shooters are welcome as long as they don't change the character of the sport. The problem with that sentence is a lot of people will have differing views on just what that "character" is.

But I do think it true that anyone who says "Oh, I really like the idea of benchrest, and I'd shoot it if only they'd [whatever]" usually aren't the people I'd try to attract.

Just a hint: if you think a Factory Class would be cheaper, wait until it is a formal class and somebody with $5,000+ gets involved. That's not cheating, it is just spending money to get your pick of the best of 50 barrels, actions, etc. The guy bringing his varmint rifle doesn't stand a chance; why will he come back? He can already (probably) shoot his varmint rifle in the existing HG, where he also doesn't stand a chance.

So I said No.

A factory and a modifeid class with "loose" rules that would allow new shooters to shoot most anything within reason and 1/2 price fees to rookies may entice a few more new guys to give it a try. The innitial costs, I think, deter some.--Mike

Also, the sniper type, tactical matches are drawing good numbers. Ranges that shoot 600-1000 may be able to accommodate them under IBS banner. Just a thought

Last edited:
I think this set of questions would get to the root problem quicker.
1. Do you live close enough to a range that holds registered matches, that you could drive to the match in the morning before the competition? Yes/no

If “Yes”
In your opinion, do they hold enough registered matches a year to justify the time, expense and dedication needed to be, or become, competitive in registered benchrest? Yes/no

If “No” to either of the above questions.
Do you have the time freedom, and money, to join a travel club? Yes/no

I agree with Jackie and Charles, don't pull a nascar or Nhra move like the chase crap. Don't alienate 95% of the current members trying to attract somebody new. Matches at more places would help grow benchrest when people could try the game without having to travel. Steve

In My Opinion:

One of the problems with regard to growing the Sport is the Numbers Requirement with regard to placement in events. Somehow there is the desire to BEAT a big number of competitiors to have validity for a victory. It keeps growth down big time.

The whole awards systems are set up that way and it does nothing to encourage more people to join in. Jackie has said more than once that 75% or every rifle on the line is out of tune at any given time. If that be so, they are no competition anyway are they?

Instead of the need to feed egos, somehow, we need to re-think the awards paramaters so that every person shooting in a sanctioned event can feel they are a legitimate contender to be "Champeen"

Last edited:
We talk about growing the sport but from my experience, there is never any promoting of the sport locally. In Maine we have three clubs that shoot IBS score. There have been some attempts with local news about what Benchrest is, usually out of the Orrington club, but the IBS matches of which we have at least two a month and sometimes three are never advertised. Unless someone verbally tells another about our matches, they would have no way of knowing what is happening. I believe constant advertising is an area worth exploring. Randy J.

I would like to see an achievement award for youth shooters, say up to age 17, maybe 140-10x in score to encourage them to continue. Instead of cash award, maybe a small trophy could be awarded. I don't feel youngsters should shoot anything larger than 6.5 caliber.

I don't feel youngsters should shoot anything larger than 6.5 caliber.
While I agree with most of your post.
My boys are just as capable of handling any rifle as any other competitor, and in some cases have shot a loaned 30BR as good or better than the owner. A muzzle down pointed range is a muzzle pointed down range and an empty, bolt out gun, is the only gun pointed in any other direction. Even a 22RF will kill, every firearm needs to be taught to be handled the same way.

Three years ago at Canasota NY score nationals they made a big deal out of Mark then age 9 competing, it was his first big match he shot a 240-5X. When the sent him the standings they included a sony walkman, which has never left his room, so no one breaks it. He still has the targets on the wall he finished with a 50-2x on his last target. It's matches like this that will keep him shooting even after he finds Girls!
Allie and Lee Euber have also been very instrumental in keeping them shooting. Allie Got me into a bolt gun for them I could afford and Lee has given them trophys for the winner between the two of them at Dunhams Bay. Bruce Lachapell also gives a Top Junior Certificate they both compete to get!
I have learned that it is important where and who I sit next to, if possible I'll take an end bench. I have been protested by some for helping my boys with a problem during a match. I've been told I cant talk to them during a match because I'm bothering a person next to me. For the most part there is a good group of guys that volunteer to help me one on one side to work with one and I'll work with the youngest on the other. For the most part they are self suficiant unless a cease fire is called and they spill the powder or other mechanical issue comes up durring the match. My boys and I have learned to use hand signals for most of our comunication. If they shoot a good group they want me to know right away!
I guess my point here is if the competitor next to the new youth is not willing to help it can sour a new shooter on the sport. I have found it to be the exception, but I have encountered it.
Kim

I still consider myself new to this sport. I shot my first Registered match in 05 (D Bay) with a borrowed rifle and then again in 06 with another borrowed rifle. The gentlemen that lent me these rifles have mentored me since day one. (It must have been hard for them) Right from the start I have shot with some of the very best that are out there. However; their achieved level of knowledge and stature are what keeps me coming back. If it were easy, I would not be there.

Thank you IBS

Ken

Mentors

I still consider myself new to this sport. I shot my first Registered match in 05 (D Bay) with a borrowed rifle and then again in 06 with another borrowed rifle. The gentlemen that lent me these rifles have mentored me since day one. (It must have been hard for them) Right from the start I have shot with some of the very best that are out there. However; their achieved level of knowledge and stature are what keeps me coming back. If it were easy, I would not be there.

Thank you IBS

Ken

+1 My sentiments exactly.... V

Benchrest is a non-mainstream sport by nature. It's not for adrenaline junkies out for a weekend fix. Those types would be better served shooting tactical or IDPA. Benchrest is for people who get a sense of accomplishment from working hard at something. It's meticulous and difficult but that's what makes it great. ANd if you're not the type of guy who enjoys a challenge, it won't interest you. Trying to cater to new shooters who would rather not progress into real accuracy is only going to be a detriment to the goal of this sport which is the pursuit of ultimate accuracy.
You can't automatically dismiss the beginner who may be a slow starter or trying to get their feet wet. Not everyone jumps right into the Major Leagues. Maybe we need a type of "farm system" (factory class w/looser rules ?) to develop and encourage the beginner instead of writing them off as non-competetive time waisters.

So far 456 have responded to the benchrest shooters' survey and 390 to the survey for those not in our sport...we will have some real interesting things to talk about.

I think the nation's weather has contributed to the response!

The price of equipment nowdays is enough to scare most off. If we had a class that limited the retail price of scopes, barrels, stocks, rests and actions to a certain affordable level might just draw quite a few that just can't afford to be competitive now.

I also answered "YES" to growth.. I guess we need to define "GROWTH" .. I dont see a national campaign to add thousands. Nor is that what the survey suggests, I hope. I aslo dont think we will pull in alot of young shooters on their own. It will likely include an adult with a will to compete and improve. I see growth as getting out some of what we do to the shooting world and into view. Why does shotgunning get air time, because the targets move? I'm not sure.
I learned at my first match a win was going to be hard faught in this game. I really dont see cost being a total limiting factor. How much does it cost for a good set of golf clubs and a membership ? Maybe a SSoy win is far from my grasp due to money, but I'll sure give the State Championships a run for it as long as I can. Its all in what your goals are and how much you can spend. With an entry level class some promotion and mentoring, I think that would gain some interrest and membership. Let them choose their goals, the serious ones will grow, the others will move on.
Goodgrouper has a good point on manufacturing. Some manufacturers are playing on some hunters weakness' of not having sufficient range time. Some certainly are not selling a worthy product to improve accuracy.

Andy B

The price of equipment nowdays is enough to scare most off. If we had a class that limited the retail price of scopes, barrels, stocks, rests and actions to a certain affordable level might just draw quite a few that just can't afford to be competitive now.

How you going to enforce that? Suppose there is such a class. I just get 20+ "cheap" barrels until I find an exceptionally good one. No rule broken, but you'd have less of a chance to win here than with regular benchrest.

How you going to enforce that? Suppose there is such a class. I just get 20+ "cheap" barrels until I find an exceptionally good one. No rule broken, but you'd have less of a chance to win here than with regular benchrest.

The only way that I can see is a "claimer" class. Put a specific price on the winning gun. Second place has the option to buy it. If it works in stock cars, it can work here. You just have to know what the rules are before you jump in.--Mike

I am all for adding new shooters to BR. Does that mean growth? Maybe, maybe not. We have lost a lot of shooters in the last few years, some to death, some to the economy, some to the fact that this sport has parts of it that are so competitive that is no longer a fun weekend away. Many of those shooters we will not see again. For that reason we need new shooters (the replacements). Without new shooters this sport will crumble.

Is that to say we need to open up the requirements at our matches to the point that a guy is gunna sit next to me with a 458 Socom ar-15 spitting hot brass down the back of my shirt and his flashider/muzzle break is blowing my gun off the bench. Hell no! We all need to be reasonable, including the new guy. If a guy wants to see what BR is about and his gun is in no way BR invite him to stay and Watch the match, maybe after the match let him shoot your rifle. Maybe next month he'll come back with his Varmint rig. Maybe after watching he'll see BR is not for him. Maybe he'll love it. I like having factory class shooters at our Registered matches, many shooters start off in factory class, some stay there, some move on to full out BR rigs. Muzzle breaks, They screw off as easy as they screw on, you want to shoot short range BR with benches tight, take the damn thing off your rifle. Why break into the sport by alienating any future friends around you. Shoot with it on and you'll forever be known as "the guy that blew me off the bench".

Back