I want to raise my lathe 3-4 inches

I'd like to thank everyone for the info. I've decided to go with an H shaped pad for foot clearance. I've got a blank canvas at the moment, but I'm very close to getting a permit to start this project. Thanks Jackie for the size 13 foot clearance recommendation. I hadn't thought about that issue.

Butch, Thanks for your response and Mr. Neilson's but this is the Low Country and if you dig a hole it fills up with water before you can finish it. That certainly is great reverse engineering advice though.

I thank everyone for their responses,

Waverly

Chuckle, chuckle! I'm still bending over mine. I haven't dug that ditch yet.

Metal or concrete is really required.

Concrete tends to cause corrosion of metal in contact, if only from ambient humidity.

Wood changes size with humidity.
Not all that much with the grain but a large amount tangentially or radially relative the the fibers of the wood.

It also is not all that hard to exceed the compressive strength of wood fiber.

I use whatever I have the correct size scrap around.

Usually some steel plate but occasionally aluminum.

last year 4" and like it better and I'm 5'8". I made a box from wood. Mill was sitting on a piece of steel plate so I just made a box with a center piece the size of the plate and moved it up. Also fastened it to the wall. It's a small Grizzly on it's own cabinet. A lot easier to see what I'm doing.

Pete

I set my Bridgeport on casters..... I didn't move it up forevermore high but it's up about 3" from setting flat on the floor. Sure is handy to be able to move it around!

Raising the bar

Don's comments reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago.

A couple Aggies were trying to get a mule out of a barn but the tips of the mule's ears would touch the top of the door opening and it spooked the mule and each time he would back up and sit down.

After numerous unsuccessful attempts to get the mule out, the two of them decided the best plan of action was to jack up the front of the barn a few inches in order to keep the door way from touching the mule's ears.

Along comes a guy wearing a Tech ball cap and asked what was going on with all the jacks and blocks. After listening to the problem he suggested "Why not just dig out some of the dirt under the door a few inches?" The Aggies said they already had a plan that they felt would work but thanked him anyway for the suggestion.

Once the Tech guy was out of earshot, one Aggie said to the other, "What a dumb ass, it ain't the mule's legs that are too long... its the friggin ears!"

I set my Bridgeport on casters..... I didn't move it up forevermore high but it's up about 3" from setting flat on the floor. Sure is handy to be able to move it around!

Steel wheels?

I have plenty of heavy things (cabinets) on steel wheels so they can actually be moved.

Back