I shot a .458 Winchester mag today

Vern,
Those were shot in Saeed's tunnel in the UAE. Saeed owns the www.accuratereloading.com forum. Dwight Scott is Saeed's gunsmith and goes with him to hunt in Africa. He is quite a prankster and loves to see and film guys shooting the big ones.
Butch

Butch , I have a 416 Rigby built on a BRNO ZKK 602 action. Full house loads can be a bit stiff but I also load cast bullets just for giggles. If you want to see someones flinch load a full house load follwed by a cast load or a dummy rnd.

I thought that I was the only person to do that. I put a light load in my Lott with 400 grain bullets followed with a pretty stiff load and a 500 grain bullet. One of my good buds wanted to shoot it. He touched off the 400 grain bullet and said it weren't too bad, THEN!!!, he shot the 500 grain load. It was a bit funny.
Butch

That's pretty much what happened to me. One light bullet, follewed by a Heavy.

Oh.. You fellas said; small guys can handle these guns better. That I think is true. I'm 5' 8" 180ish. The owner is Six foot three or more approximately. ( he easily looks done on me) He doesn't like to shoot it. Can't wait to get some money and try and buy it from him.

Mark

.505 Gibbs if you want a real rifle. Bill Morrison, famous gunsmith in these parts, shot one once. He said that was all he ever wanted from a shoulder rifle.

gunsmither, I'm like you, but you never know when an attack prairie dog may appear. I'm working on a 416 Rigby at the moment. I have a Grandson,Josh, that really likes to shoot them. Guess who gets them on paper.
Butch

i was looking the other day at 458 win mag factory loads. there are 2 distinct different loads from whatever manufacturer i was looking at (either winchester or federal). the one load wasnt much heavier than a good 45/70 load. the other would definitly make you take notice. personally, given the chance, i would love to shoot a 458 win mag, or a 458 lott. but you could keep the 460 weatherby. unless i was being charged by a rhino, hippo, or elephant. i like recouil, to a certain amount. just looking at the specs of a 460 weatherby makes my shoulder hurt.

My son-in-law told me that he was shooting at a private range and the owner had a 458 Winchester for sale. My son- in-law bought five carterages to try it out. He fired off two rounds. The second one just to make sure that the first one really kicked that much. He gave the guy the last three rounds back and left.

Concho Bill

Butch, try a Winchester 1886 45-70 with a 482 gran Lyman gas check bullet at 1700 fps...that will rock and roll your noodle!! --Greg

I've shot an '86 in .45-70; yeah it hurts a bit. I've also shot a .348 Win in a Model 71 a few rounds. Just a few! Not a fun caliber / gun to shoot in my experience, at least from a bench sighting it in. Ouch.

My .45-70 Marlin knocks the shoulder pretty bad too. I have a Ruger #1 in .45-70 which I've yet to shoot. I'm thinking Black Powder loads for it just for fun.

The Trapdoor Springfield .45-70 with the metal buttplate is a real smacker too. They must have been real men back in those days!

The Trapdoor Springfield .45-70 with the metal buttplate is a real smacker too. They must have been real men back in those days!

Custer proved it too.

Back