I need to get some .30 Major information

I know a few fellows were shooting this out east last time I traveled that way. I need to discuss some of the details of how the parent case was changed to use it in VFS. Thanks in advance & God bless.

Chad Schmidt

Chad,

The parent case is the Lapua 6.5 Grendel. The neck is expanded to .30 caliber and the case is ready to fire. I can send you Mike Ezell's "match" reamer print if you are interested. Let me know.

Ryan

Mike is a great guy and will be happy to talk to you about the Major. I have two chambered in it and am super happy.

My reamer is identical to Mike's except that it has 15 thou freebore to give me some versatility with the bullets and a 332 neck because I wanted to do as little neck turning as possible.

The case, as I understand it, the exact dimensions are based on the Redding 6.5 Grendel Type S FL die. You need to confirm with Mike. I think that he still has to do a little something to the die. Not for sure.

He likes 7/8-14 seater dies.. I like inline. He made mine from a Wilson blank. That new Newlon micrometer blank looks pretty swanky...

Greg J

Chad, I'd be happy to help.

The brass is treated exactly like 30BR brass...just neck up, trim, and neck turn 6.5 Grendel brass. Lapua makes the brass and it is of very good quality, has small primer and small flash holes. It yields a 30 caliber case with a ppc case head and a capacity right between a BR and a ppc. Very easy to make and get to shoot.

I can supply both dies for it. I use a Redding competition seater die, but as Greg said, a wilson type die is just as doable.

Give me a call if you want. It'd be good talking to you anyway. --Mike 270-542-6022

Thanks for the responses. I contacted Mike Wezell directly for the info I think I need. I do appreciate all of you who were willing to help. God bless you and have a great day and week.
Chad Schmidt

Back