I need rings for my Lawton action. Help!!

skeetlee

I need a set of light weight scope rings and bases for my Lawton 7500 action. I am 2oz over weight, but the steel rail i bought from Lawton weighs 7oz by itself. I figure i can get some type of aluminum bases and rings and cut those 2oz. Problem is i dont know what rings to get. I have seen a lot of guys use a one piece ring/base combo. I think that will do the trick. The Lawton actions are all round. Lawton told me to have badger make me an aluminum picatinny base but i just dont think thats the way to go. I was hoping someone here might have the answer i need. Anyone? thanks a ton!! Lee

Lee,
If you don't require a canted base, I have used two front Weaver style bases for a Savage model 12, 2 front Remington 700 bases should also work.
You can then put any Weaver style ring on them.
Did Bobby drop their 20 minute aluminum picatinny base for the Lawton action? That is what I have on my 7500 currently.

James.

Lawton

I weighed a Lawton 20 moa aluminum base for my 7500 and it weighed 940 grains which converts to 2.15 oz. A set of weaver 1" x-high aluminum Quad lock rings from Walmart brought the total to 4.93 oz. I would suggest contacting Lawton and asking, (begging) them to make you an aluminum one. They used to list them on their website. My experience with them indicates that an email is more effective than a phone call.

Thanks guys. I will try and contact them again and see if i cant get a different answer. (Notaguru) screen name, Hangs out over on sniper hide and i think he is one of the main dudes over at Lawton. He is the fella that told me to call badger. I really dont know if they still offer the 20moa rail or not. I have one, i bought second hand. I also have there standard metal rail. Both of which weigh the same. I have also thought about going with the two front rem 700 weaver mounts, but i was hoping there was a better way. Thanks a ton!! Lee

Rings & Bases for Lawton 7500

If you are really looking at two weaver style bases why not check out Sinclair and look a set Davidson bases for a rem and use a set of Kelbly rings.This setup is strong and light as you can tell by the number of BR shooters using them in competion.
Nick

Two simple solutions if they really use 700 front bases:

1. Call Talley Mfg. and have them send you two of their Rem. 700 (front) LW alum. base/ring units. If your action has 8-40 holes instead of the standard Rem. 700 6-48, they have them also.

2. Use Davidson bases and drop some Kelbly rings on.

Action diameter, hole spacing, thread size. Even I can connect those dots.......

Two simple solutions if they really use 700 front bases:

1. Call Talley Mfg. and have them send you two of their Rem. 700 (front) LW alum. base/ring units. If your action has 8-40 holes instead of the standard Rem. 700 6-48, they have them also.

Talley can just send the set for a Savage 12 (which is cylindrical, like many of the customs). That's what Gary recommended for my Stiller PredatorV and they worked like a charm.

For a hunting rifle where the scope needs to be mounted as low as possible the Talley lightweights are hard to beat.

For a benchrest rifle the (generally) taller Davidson/Kelbly setup is my favorite.

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

skeetlee

I know you are a frequent poster on 6MMBR. Do a search for Pierce Custom actions. He makes a very nice aluminum picatinney 20 moa base that is skant weight compared to a stainless one. Will bolt right on to your Lawton action. Give him a call, he's a good conversation.

For a hunting rifle where the scope needs to be mounted as low as possible the Talley lightweights are hard to beat.

Hi Toby. The Talley extra highs are .800 from the top of the reciever reciever to where the scope sets in the rings.....makes for a nice setup on a BR gun at a reasonable price.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

I went ahead and ordered a set of the Talley one piece rings today. I think they are sending Med height. The price is almost to cheap really. I hope they are a good set of rings!! The weight is around 2.3oz for the pair, at least thats how i took it? The guy on the phone sounded a bit new. If thats the case, i will make weight by around 3oz according to my portable mail scales. It will be close. I dont want to have to change anything else on my 30BR as it is shooting really really good!! I have heard St Louis is going to have a benchrest for score shoot this coming season, so i am supper pumped for that. I should do pretty good, if i can keep my cool!! The rifle will do it, as long as i can!! I have a good friend here in town that i went to school with and after school i lost contact with him until last winter. He is a great shot and he has a small club shoot down the road a bit. We shoot varmint for score at 100-200 and 300 yards. I really really like that game. Anyway thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!!! Have a good evening. Its wednesday night on the range!!!! I just wish they would show more benchrest stuff and less AR stuff!!! Lee

I need a set of light weight scope rings and bases for my Lawton 7500 action. I am 2oz over weight, but the steel rail i bought from Lawton weighs 7oz by itself. I figure i can get some type of aluminum bases and rings and cut those 2oz. Problem is i dont know what rings to get. I have seen a lot of guys use a one piece ring/base combo. I think that will do the trick. The Lawton actions are all round. Lawton told me to have badger make me an aluminum picatinny base but i just dont think thats the way to go. I was hoping someone here might have the answer i need. Anyone? thanks a ton!! Lee

I'd check with Lawton again, they make an aluminum base for the 7500.

Gary.

Lawton isnt making any aluminum bases anymore. At least thats what they told me. The talley rings are a nice value. I received them today. My rifle now weighs 4 oz under weight. Woo Hooo!!!!

Back