I just had this installed on my '67 Chevelle

thats just wrong

I cant get used to not seeing a pair of Hollies on a beautiful car like that. I guess I am getting toooooo old.

I used to be like that. But I like all the new, modern stuff. The 540 just looks like a Big Block Chevy, there ain't a Chevy Part in it. The transmission is a TCI 6x 6 speed auto. The entire supension is all aftermarket high performance items. The Rear end is a strange unit.

It's a custom hot rod. Pure and simple.

Jackie, that's an impressive car! :cool:

As a young man, I loved the Chevelles. I had 66, 67 and 68 models.

I wouldn't dare ride with you in that fuel injected hot rod; you'd scare me to death. :p

Congratulations on pursuing your passions in life. You go to the extremes in whatever you do. Proud of you man.

Gene Beggs

I've always wanted a '67 Chevelle since a friend had one in high school.
His had the 396 w 4 speed. He'd place a $10 bill on the dash & if you could reach forward & grab it when he punched it it was yours. I don't remember if anyone ever got it or not.
I can only imagine what that monster will do!
Thanks for sharing, & bringing back an ol' memory
Keith

There was about a '69 Chevelle with 396, 4 speed with some kind of race cam that gave it that loping sound when I was in high school. Insurance for it was supposed to be outrageous. I'm with EBB on with it not having a Holley four barrel it doesn't look right. But, I agree with you on updating it to more modern. More reliable and more power if you need it. No such thing as too much fun, no such thing as too much power.

Fi

I agree that a carb, or multiples thereof need to be on the Chevelle and other cars of the era, but FI is a definite upgrade! Of note, NHRA Pro Stock cars are required to have fuel injection for 2016. Should be interesting!
Bryan

Looks sweet. Now if you ever get bored with it imagine how neat an 8 stack will look up there.

Jakie I'll take some of the heat off of you and get down right blasphemous. I have been busy not making matches this year but working on a 1968 nova. Im putting a 5.3 LS in it with a precision 76mm turbo and 4l80e transmission and here it comes a ford 9 inch with a locker! Have a ways to go but if people are upset about no carb then this should upset a few. image.jpg I hope to be shooting again next year but just had twins and I'm busy life is good.

Jakie I'll take some of the heat off of you and get down right blasphemous. I have been busy not making matches this year but working on a 1968 nova. Im putting a 5.3 LS in it with a precision 76mm turbo and 4l80e transmission and here it comes a ford 9 inch with a locker! Have a ways to go but if people are upset about no carb then this should upset a few. View attachment 16598 I hope to be shooting again next year but just had twins and I'm busy life is good.

Two years ago when I had the 540 built, I had to decide whether to go the LS route or have a really nice Rat built. Since I have been fooling with Big a Block Chevys my whole adult life, I went with the 540.

But there is no doubt as to the potential of the LS platform. There is now an entire industry built around the LS.

I get a kick out of the guys that keep it simple. Go to a junkyard, get a pull out 5.3 complete for around $750, put it in whatever, add a Chinese Turbo, re chip the fuel ,injection, and run "10's".

When it blows, just go get another one.

Hot Rodding is about having fun. If you can't sleep at night because you are not 100% sure that the clamps on your radiator hose are "correct", then you ain't having fun.

Last edited:
Jackie, ...........I wouldn't dare ride with you in that fuel injected hot rod; you'd scare me to death. :p..........

Gene Beggs

I'd ride with Jackie, and maybe my wife, but that's about it. I wouldn't ride with me under any circumstances.

They are doing amazing things with Chinese turbos but I'm using a PTE (precision turbo and engine) turbo because I we all know the China quality is very inconsistent at best. Holding for 650-700 crankshaft horse power at 10-12PSI which with my research is very doable. A few more weeks parts and ready to build the engine but a complete rewire is needed also good thing painless wireing is here in Ft. Worth. image.jpg

My stainless turbo headers are pretty tooView attachment 16618

Those look nice. Did you build those,or buy them?.

The headers on my 540 are 2 1/8 Lemons.

When I started this 540 project a little over 2 years ago, my intentions were to finally end up with a ProCharger at about 7 lbs of boost, which would be about 1000 hp. This Holley Fuel Injection was the next step toward this goal.But, Since the engine is bumg 10 to 1 compression, that might be off the table. It would work with a MethInjection set up, and the Holley Fuel Injections Computor would controle it all, but I really should have set the engine up at 8.5 to 1.

I am just going to drive it now. Unloading 700 ft lbs of torqe in. 3600 LB street car is a fun filled handful now. So I might just hold off a while.

The easiest way to get the compression down would be to order a set of the same Air Flow Research heads as the ones I have on it now, with 118 cc combustion chambers instead of the110's on it now.

Last edited:
Memories. I had a '67 in 1977. Mouse motor. Took the angle plug heads in for a three angle valve job and new seals. The sob's tried to give me back straight plug heads. Oh did we have an argument. No details but I got my heads back.

I bought them. Wish I had the equipment to build them. I would love a nice TIG setup. I have a set of heads that lowers compression so I can run 93 octane but plan on bumping up the boost and running some Sunoco 110 from the racetrack (less than 5 miles from me)when I want to play. Should be fun but that 540 is a torque monster I'm sure. When I get the bugs worked out ill drive it down to a Tomball match sometime. I miss shooting down there a lot of good people and always loved hearing people cuss the pea gravel. Guess I'm just weird I kinda like re gravel seems less formal and more like your just shooting with friends. Although I'm sure the development to the west is hurting that a bit.
Have a good one Jackie and I hope my Nova comes out 1/2 as nice as your 67.

Tuning carbs= multiple trips to the internet/shop

Tuning EFI= Laptop and 10 mins.

Back