i have a friend who's trying to figure out what price to ask for his lathe.

T

Tom C.

it's a central machinery model 1224b, it had a tag on it said manufactured
in 1992, has had very little use, my friends brother was doing shotgun work
and general gunsmithing and got called up for his old high paying job, so he
took it, and left it with his brother and said do what you want with it. so
he's selling it but he don't know what to ask, i tried looking it up and can't
find that model anywhere, it's not a mini lathe but a regular one just kinda
small. i don't know much about lathes so i thought i would ask you guys.
thanks.

it's a central machinery model 1224b, it had a tag on it said manufactured
in 1992, has had very little use, my friends brother was doing shotgun work
and general gunsmithing and got called up for his old high paying job, so he
took it, and left it with his brother and said do what you want with it. so
he's selling it but he don't know what to ask, i tried looking it up and can't
find that model anywhere, it's not a mini lathe but a regular one just kinda
small. i don't know much about lathes so i thought i would ask you guys.
thanks.

Probably a Harbor Freight distributed lathe;

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-inch-x-40-inch-gear-head-gap-bed-metal-lathe-66164.html

i'm pretty sure it is an old lathe from harbor freight. he thought his brother paid a little
over 2,000 for it and he was thinking of asking 1,000 to 1,200. some pictures i took last
night.
DSC00473.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

Tom,don`t sell it........learn to use it........ you can make so many things you`re only limited to your imagination....5 years from now you`ll be glad you did.... and your brother will to.....
OMHO
bill larson

Tom,don`t sell it........learn to use it........ you can make so many things you`re only limited to your imagination....5 years from now you`ll be glad you did.... and your brother will to.....
OMHO
bill larson

it's not mine, i was wondering whether it's worth buying to learn on. and my buddy didn't know how much to ask for it. i offered him 600 last night.
any idea what it's actually worth, it hasn't been used much his brother used to use it to back bore shotgun barrels with. it sounds like it only has
maybe 50-75 hours of run time on it. any ideas of whether i should buy it and what would be a fair price. thanks.

$600.00 is a "good buddy" price. I was going to say sell for $800.00 until I saw your last post.

thanks i was wondering whether to go up to 750 or 800.

Back in the 1990's these Harbor Freight lathes were the lowest end china benchtop lathes that were offered with minimal tooling for about $800 new in my neighborhood.

With only a 24" bed you will not be able do full length rifle barrels between centers, but if the spindle diameter is 1.375 or larger than you could use it for barreling thru the spindle with the proper techniques and tooling................I wouldnt offer more than 4-5 hundred for this older low end china benchtop lathe..........Don

thanks for all the replys, i guess i'll just stick with that 600 offer and see what happens.
i'm pretty sure it was a harbor freight lathe. since it was made in 1992, would it have
been made in taiwan or japan, i don't think we were dealing with china back then were we?
i just noticed on the plate it says made in taiwan.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the replys, i guess i'll just stick with that 600 offer and see what happens.
i'm pretty sure it was a harbor freight lathe. since it was made in 1992, would it have
been made in taiwan or japan, i don't think we were dealing with china back then were we?
i just noticed on the plate it says made in taiwan.

With the Taiwan identifier plate, perhaps the lathe was made by the same jobbers as those making the respectable Jet Taiwanese lathes.

Thru spindle setup needed for theses shorter lathes if spindle bore is too narrow for barrel shank;

IMG_08413.jpg

Last edited:
I think $600.00 is plenty fair! At that price you are not stealing it and he isn't giving it away! I have a Older Jet lathe that came from Harbor Frieght. The only problem with them is what has been discussed, not a big enough hole in the head stock and if I had a good back I would figure out a way to get a bigger setup. I surf Craigslist 2 times a week for a bigger lathe, and I don't know why?? I sold my Big South Bend last year because it was to big and I only used it a few times.
Don, you got your lathe looking good!
Tom let us know?
Greg

thanks for all the replys, he's still thinking about it.
i don't have room for it right at the moment anyway.
he was going to let the stand and what tooling he has
go with it as well when he sells it.

Back in the 1990's these Harbor Freight lathes were the lowest end china benchtop lathes that were offered with minimal tooling for about $800 new in my neighborhood.

With only a 24" bed you will not be able do full length rifle barrels between centers, but if the spindle diameter is 1.375 or larger than you could use it for barreling thru the spindle with the proper techniques and tooling................I wouldnt offer more than 4-5 hundred for this older low end china benchtop lathe..........Don

I agree.

Fitch

I have a friend who has a lathe that looks exactly like that except it is a 12x36. His is a TIDA which was a taiwanese lathe manufacurer that built for Jet and others. Parts are scarce/hard to come by but they have a reputation of being a solid machine.

Back