I am ready to spring for - - -

Pete Wass

a new small Milling Machine. I want to be able to drill accurate holes and to do small, accurate milling as necessity dictates. The machine will be strictly a hobby, little used, machine.

Of those I have seen, the one sold by "The Little Machine Shop" with it's starter kit looks the most inviting of all. It is a bit more pricey than the others but is presented well.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these machines?

Thanks,

Pete Wass

a new small Milling Machine. I want to be able to drill accurate holes and to do small, accurate milling as necessity dictates. The machine will be strictly a hobby, little used, machine.

Of those I have seen, the one sold by "The Little Machine Shop" with it's starter kit looks the most inviting of all. It is a bit more pricey than the others but is presented well.

Thanks,

Pete Wass

This doesn't answer what you asked, but based on your Range rod question you may be doing some gunsmithing projects. With that in mind, I'd urge you to consider getting at least a mill-drill with R8 spindle capable of holding a rifle stock.

I end up using my mill a lot when bedding rifles.

SetupforMillingStock-1-C-RS.jpg

Not sure I'd have a lot of use for a small mill but if I wasn't going to have a "smaller end of full size knee mill" like my 9" x 42" BP clone, I'd probably get a mill drill big enough to use for bedding rifles, and able to cut the extractor groove in Winchester, Springfield (shown),

Cutdone-2-C-RS.jpg

or other Mauser clone rebarrel projects.

The real expense with a mill is the tooling. Fortunately, for most gunsmith work I've attempted to date, a DRO, a good mill vise, set of R8 collets, modest variety of mill cutters, a set of hold-downs, and some cleverness with work holding, and a calculator (for pattern drilling), will get it done.

Fitch

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Pete,

I just purchased the LMShop equivalent from Micro Mark. Looks to be the same machine. Micro Mark is listing some discounts lately, so you might want to check. The unit I bought has an R8 spindle, so if you trade up, you may be able save your tooling. It is limited in travel, however. Mine is still in the box waiting for my "man cave" to be completed, so no feedback available re: functionality.

Mike

If you can move a thousand pounds or so and have access to 3 phase power (or are not opposed to a phase converter), an older Bridgeport mill would be my first choice. A used one can be had for the price of any benchtop mill that you would want to consider. R8 collets, a 42" table, power feed on the "Z" axis, reversible spindle and rock solid. You would be amazed at what you can buy for $1000 or less.

Thanks,

Pete Wass

not knowing what you budgit is, I can only guess. Your probably looking at a Bridgeport or a Bridgeport clone. They are all made in Asia if that matters. I like the one from Willis Machine better than any of the others. They have a much better way setup that a Bridgeport design, and are fairly easy to rebuild if you run accross a good used one. I'd just get one with the step pulleys instead of the variable speed head (think it's the "J" head). The Bridgeport design is junk on a good day, and most simply copied that design. The Southwest Trac is another good machine, but think they are over priced for what you get. Still better than a Bridgeport. I'be be looking at a table that's no more than 42" unless your planing on doing the head on a race car. The long over hang from the longer tables tends to wear the bear surfaces in the saddle rapidly. Some clones have a CNC attachment (Proto trac etc.). These are really nice once you learn the ins and outs. Lead Screw International sells a very nice ball screw kit for Bridgeports, and I can recommend this as I've installed a couple dozen of them over the years. I'd at least set the machine up for scales. I like the Anilam, but others like others. I just find the Anilam to be straiter and slightly more accurate.

if shopping for a used machine I'd be looking at these things:
* loosed the quill bore to where you came raise and lower the spindle quill without too much pressure. Put a one tenth indicator on the quill with it about half way down. and see how much you can come it. A thousandth is about what a new machine should be, and .004" is about it for very accurate reaming. The bores seem to wear rapidly when the guys try to run them with the bore clamped.

* crank the table to one side about twelve to fourteen inches. Put the indicator on the saddle and the wand on the table side. Try to move the table sideways. Should not see much more than .0025". If you do see a lot of movement it maybe from loose gibs or the gibs are work out. Do the samething on the opposite direction of travel. Now with the indicator riding on top of the table; try to lift the table. This will show wear on the top of the dove tail in the saddle (assuming the gibs are tight). Also check the saddle itself for slop with the knee. If the knee has the chrome plated ways, you can't fix it very easilly. I have done a few by send the chrome plated stuff out for stripping, and then rescrapping them. The factory tollarence for the ways was .001", and a compound error of about .0025". I've seen new machines with .005" compound error! The Willis machine uses much larger (bearing area) hard steel ways with Turcite. They ways are setup for a .001" crush fit on the Turcite. Makes a much better machine for accuracey.

* Bridports use an ABEC 5 bearing setup in the spindle. If you rebuild the head use ABEC 7's. Their lead screws are prone to wear due to built in lube problems. The Southwest machines are easier to rebuild, but uses the J head, and draw bar. The Willis quill is much larger and built much stronger. Uses #40 taper tool holders instead of the Bridgeport junk (well known for accuracey issues). Has bigger bearings, and seems like it has knob retention tool holders as an option.

But alas none of the Bridgeports or clones will ever be as accurate is a good knee mill that is scraped square.
gary

If you can move a thousand pounds or so and have access to 3 phase power (or are not opposed to a phase converter), an older Bridgeport mill would be my first choice. A used one can be had for the price of any benchtop mill that you would want to consider. R8 collets, a 42" table, power feed on the "Z" axis, reversible spindle and rock solid. You would be amazed at what you can buy for $1000 or less.

you usually get what you pay for. I would never buy a machine that came out of a job shop, but you'd be surprised what you can find in Federal auctions. I get calls three or four times a year asking me to look at Bridgeports that someone has just bought. Your talking serious money to rescrape one, even though they are fairly simple. You cannot repair the bore in the head right (I have plated a couple quills and reground them). Most of the time the gibs are worn so bad that they need to be shimed and completly rescraped on the saddle alone (about $300), and the table ain't anybetter. If the table is worn (most are), it's easier to simply send the saddle and table out for a complete regrind, and then buy new gibs that still have to be scraped. Last table I sent out cost about $1200, but was within .00025" all the way around. The saddle is cheaper and still cost you about $500.

The R8 tool holder is dying. In another five or six years it will starting to get hard to buy them. Bridgeport tapered tool holders are better, but still not as good as an Erickson #40.
gary

Good place to find a Bridgeport is...

Word of mouth
Craigslist
Publicsurplus.com
HGR industrial in oh
Local paper

The above suggestion for getting at least a mill/drill with R8 spindle is good advice. Check out Wholesale Tool. They have some nice mill/drill units at good prices.

Back