I am needing your opinions.

H

hogtiming

I have an 22-250 and the barrel is shoot out. It has 3200 hundred rounds through it. I am wanting a either a a 22br or a 22 dasher I am wanting a competion gun and a yote gun could you tell me the good and bad things about the guns? And the distance and accuracy? Thanks

Hog

For a live varmint offerring, a 22BR or Dasher would be a great choice.
But, you need to define the term "competition" a little more in detail in order for us to really give decent advice on that.......jackie

22br

I'd go with the 22BR and skip the work of the Dasher. There's not much difference in the 22-250 and the Dasher as far as throat erosion. You barrel will last a little longer with the straight 22BR. You'll get about 3700 FPS with a 52 grain match bullet, plenty enough for me.

What will shoot the best at 300 maybe 400 or 500 I do not even know if they will shoot they far. I wanna be able to bust eggs at 300 and do good a farther shot. the work reloading is not a problem

Which One

If you want to stick with a 22, go with the 22 BR, keep the same twist rate as your current 22-250, it might not handle as heavy as a bullet as the 22-250, (it does, after all, use less powder), but it will eat 60 grn pills with no problem. The 22BR is known for it's top notch accuracy potential. And yes, it will handle 500 yards with no problem.

You can get a little better accuracy at 100-200 if you opt for a slower twist, in the 1-14 range, but you will be limited on the weight, and length of bullet you use for longer ranges.

If you are not totally in love with the 22, build a 6BR with a 1-8 twist. It will do the job out to 600 yards, with great accuracy at anything in between........jackie

Last edited:
I have an 22-250 and the barrel is shoot out. It has 3200 hundred rounds through it. I am wanting a either a a 22br or a 22 dasher I am wanting a competion gun and a yote gun could you tell me the good and bad things about the guns? And the distance and accuracy? Thanks
Listen to Jackie.
The only thing I would add on the 6Br is that a 12 twist will handle up to 80 grain bullets. 14 twist, 70 grain is about the max. If you want to reach out there with the 6br, say with a 95-105 you will need the fast 1/7 or maybe 1/8 twist. Best accuracy is obtained by selecting the bullet you want to shoot and then selecting the twist rate for that bullet. It will of course shoot lighter bullets too.

Based on my friends' results, I think that you should give the 6BR a strong look. Although a good argument can be made for the heavier bullets, for varminting they have chosen to go with 70 and 55 grain plastic tipped bullets, and have been very happy with the results. If you go this route, make sure that whoever barrels the rifle pays close attention to chamber throat length, so that it is correct for the bullets that you intend to shoot. Also, if you want the best accuracy, I would recommend having the action fully blue printed by someone that has a national reputation for this kind of work. You will only have to do this once, and it can make a real difference in your accuracy results.

And whatever caliber you decide, don't get the barrel chambered with a "off the shelf" reamer. Decide what bullet you plan on shooting and send a dummy round and get the barrel chambered to that. Have it made the way "you" want it.
Get a short throat so as it wears you can set the OAL longer and still reach the lands.

I am wanting to stay in the 22's but cant decide with the dasher or br. what is the difference

I am wanting to stay in the 22's but cant decide with the dasher or br. what is the difference
Go with the 22BR and pick the twist to match the bullets you want to shoot.

One of the best powders for light bullets is Accurate 2520. I have a 1:12 Krieger and shoot 52g benchrest bullets. With the 52 grainer I can get 4050 fps and still shoot very accurately. It will shoot 3-shot groups in the 0.250-0.325" range at 100 yards at that velocity.

With that combination, in 2003, at Hickory, NC, I broke the egg at 500 yards and came in 11th out of about 200 shooters. That Fall I shot the barrel out on Prairie Dogs in NW Kansas.

or does anyone know anything about the 22brx I haven't heard of them or how they will shoot out at long distances

hogtiming,

The 22 Dasher is the BR case "improved" with 40 degree shoulder blown forward 0.100" for greater case capacity. I had an eight twist 22 Dasher built by Mike Bryant for the Hickory Ground Hog match and broke the egg both times I shot it there. It is/was very accurate and I was seduced into shooting it at 600 BR matches and even used it at 1k BR for heavy gun a few times with very good results. It didn't take long for the throat to get cooked however. If I could confine myself to just the Hickory G H match (10 shots/year) it would be a great choice. My next 22 chamber will be a straight no turn neck 22 BR because of the very short throat life of the Dasher and no need to fire-form (you can ask Jerry about my experience with that!).

Greg

6mm BR

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. My 22-250 was starting to go away. I had Clarence Hammonds build me a 6mm BR on a Bat action with a Krieger 1/12 barrel. Using I can't find a load it doesn't like.
At 100 yards you've got to go get your target to see the group as they will all over lap.
I've taken ground hogs out to 400 yards, not that I don't think it will shoot farther, the opportunity just hasn't presented itself.
With 34.5 grains of Varget and the bullets seated to just touch the lands it shoots fast enough for long range work.
It set me back $5,000 with a Leupold scope, Jewell trigger and Shehane stock and has been worth every penny.
The ability to shoot heavier bullets is what put pushed me to the 6 BR.
As I'm not a BR shooter I doubt I'll ever have barrel problems.

bolt-1.jpg

What would be the barrel life of an average 22dasher or a 22br?

I must agree with the others...................6BR all the way! The 12 twist is great, but the 8 twist will get you to 1000 yards. It will also shoot lighter bullets just as well.

hogtiming,

A 22 Dasher will show significant fire cracking in as little as 400 rounds but can still offer ok to good although not excellent accuracy for more than double that. I don't know why mine looks so bad but still shoots pretty well. I can't tell you about a 22 BR's barrel life from experience but am confident that it will be much greater than the Dasher. A number of posters have made the point that it is hard to beat a 6BR for most purposes and I agree but if you have your own reasons for a 22 (worst edge scoring at Ground Hog matches, tiny recoil, flatter trajectory or higher velocity) then I would look hard at a 22BR with 75 to80 gr (8" twist) bullets.

Greg

Back