HV Shooters that hung out to finish the NBRSA National's

R. Rains

I notice that out of the 204 registers shooter for the NBRSA National that 188 of them hung out to finish out the HV 200.

Therefore only 7% decided to leave the match early or there was some other reason for not completing the match.

The reason for bringing this to everyone attention is the fact that they shot the UNL200 on Thursday instead of Saturday the last day of the Nationals and everyone for the most part hung out to complete the HV 200 on Saturday.

Why would you leave early?
That's like eating half of your McDonald's fries.....Then trashing the rest....or going to a movie and leaving early...or driving to Florida and having to turn around. I lost out on the hotel. Was almost in the hospital.....But, that is extreme.....JMHO.

Last day of a Super Shoot. I cross fired. It was hot. I was tired. I just gave up. "I can sit in the air conditioning and drink beer.....".
Then Neil Jones said "Hey, you can stay. It's only the warm up match." EH!
It's just a story.
Oh, Yea. That was my best group at 200 y. WOW. It still makes my head hurt.....EH!

Russel 7% ain't too bad.....shoot a couple 3's or 4's you might win.
Look at Joe Hines. He did real good........

It's funny how a 2nd place and a 4th place can give you 1st in the grand AGG! EH!

Russ I reloaded with Pat Reagin under his tents out side of the reloading area. In side the tent on Friday my thermometer read 102 degrees. In side it wasn,t much better . I think I lost 10 pounds in sweat. I really thought some one would have health issues. The ones that left I think it was because of the heat. Saturday the heat wasn,t as bad.

Why would you leave early?
That's like eating half of your McDonald's fries.....Then trashing the rest....or going to a movie and leaving early...or driving to Florida and having to turn around. I lost out on the hotel. Was almost in the hospital.....But, that is extreme.....JMHO.

Last day of a Super Shoot. I cross fired. It was hot. I was tired. I just gave up. "I can sit in the air conditioning and drink beer.....".
Then Neil Jones said "Hey, you can stay. It's only the warm up match." EH!
It's just a story.
Oh, Yea. That was my best group at 200 y. WOW. It still makes my head hurt.....EH!

Been there ,,,,done that ,,,, My first target at Supershoot was a .314 @200 ,,,,,, On a Cross Fire

Last edited:
One thing to look at on the registered shooters is that with pre-registration quite a few shooters will register early and then whatever reason comes up, they can't make it. If those aren't dropped off the list of competitors they will show up on the bottom of the shooter list. People do leave early all the time though when they don't have a rifle they feel is shooting competitively. I know of one shooter who was shooting at the Nationals in Phoenix decided that he was shooting so badly that he left and went to Las Vegas. It may have been about the time he wore his hair in a curly red Afro. Any number of reasons for leaving early. My wife and I had a plane to catch in St. Louis leaving at 5 Saturday to attend a grandson's 5th birthday party. We'll be back at the range tomorrow night to drive home Tuesday. Some people like shooting the UL two days in a row and getting done with it. I kind of like the break from it. Not nearly as worn out from shooting it all day Monday and all day Thursday as shooting it all day Monday and Tuesday. But, it's always nice when it gets put up in favor of the lighter rifles. Friday was a pretty tiring day due to the heat and humidity. But, in general, no where as hot and humid as when we used to shoot the Nationals the last week of July. Ask anyone about the 1995 Nationals in Kansas City the end of July. The hottest and most humid Nationals I ever attended. The next time it was held there it was either in September or October. Completely different animal and very pleasant temperature wise to shoot. Already looking forward to shooting the Nationals in Phoenix next year.

Two kinds of benchrest shooters, those who have cross fired and those who will. Shoot long enough and it will happen to you.

Last edited:
If you go to the scores that Wilbur just posted, you will notice that 193 shot the HV100 and 191 shot the HV200. That means only 2 HV shooters were lost between Wednesday and Saturday! Sounds like a dedicated bunch of shooters showed up to the NBRSA Nationals!

one more thing to consider...

the results posted on BRC may not be completely accurate.

i know of at least one shooter that shot the entire week and did not show up in the 2,3 or 4 gun results.

Hi Russ,

Since you and I have discussed this topic before, I know where you are coming from.

I drafted a petition at the IBS nationals for the members to vote on which would allow a match director of a Nationals match to consider a different format than the current one which has the Unlimited Class shot on the last day.

One of the considerations for changing the format to be similar to the NBRSA format was that the majority of shooter would be present for the final day.

One issue of concern was when an individual provides the flags for the bench rotation, there are fewer shooters available on the last day after the UN200 to help retrieve them. In the case of left handed shooters, there are slim pickings of shooters left to help out.

Another consideration was that the awards would be attended by the majority of the shooters and the drama of who won what would be carried out to the very end.

Some points to the contrary were a shooter is able to start and leave the Nationals sooner if they are not participating in the unlimited class saving time and money.

Another point was that those who run the matches can have most of the results posted and awards given out prior to the last day. This gives them a chance to wrap things up earlier on the last day and go home for a well deserved break.

There were also some shooters who felt the retrieval of all the flags was not a big thing.

In speaking with some of the members it was felt that giving the range director the option to consider a different format would have a better possibility of being passed than having things changed from the current format.

I do believe I had enough signatures on the petition and turned it over to Harley B. at the Nationals.

I plan on being there the full week at the Nationals so I am there to help at the end of the match. There are good points with changing and also with leaving things as they are. I for one do not want to burden the match directors any more than they are since I truly appreciate all the work involved in running a nationals.
What ever works for them is what I feel is most important.

I am sure as hot as it was reported to be at St. Louis, I for one would be looking for all the help I could get taking down my flags.

Thanks,

Bill McIntyre

Look at the results posted by Steve Lee. They are the complete and final results for the Nationals. Some of the earlier posts were not full results with some of the yardages left out of particularly the three gun and four gun. Steve's post is the final in both PDF and Excel format.

One thing to look at on the registered shooters is that with pre-registration quite a few shooters will register early and then whatever reason comes up, they can't make it. If those aren't dropped off the list of competitors they will show up on the bottom of the shooter list. People do leave early all the time though when they don't have a rifle they feel is shooting competitively. I know of one shooter who was shooting at the Nationals in Phoenix decided that he was shooting so badly that he left and went to Las Vegas. It may have been about the time he wore his hair in a curly red Afro. Any number of reasons for leaving early. My wife and I had a plane to catch in St. Louis leaving at 5 Saturday to attend a grandson's 5th birthday party. We'll be back at the range tomorrow night to drive home Tuesday. Some people like shooting the UL two days in a row and getting done with it. I kind of like the break from it. Not nearly as worn out from shooting it all day Monday and all day Thursday as shooting it all day Monday and Tuesday. But, it's always nice when it gets put up in favor of the lighter rifles. Friday was a pretty tiring day due to the heat and humidity. But, in general, no where as hot and humid as when we used to shoot the Nationals the last week of July. Ask anyone about the 1995 Nationals in Kansas City the end of July. The hottest and most humid Nationals I ever attended. The next time it was held there it was either in September or October. Completely different animal and very pleasant temperature wise to shoot. Already looking forward to shooting the Nationals in Phoenix next year.

Two kinds of benchrest shooters, those who have cross fired and those who will. Shoot long enough and it will happen to you.

Hi Fellas,
Just trying to lighten the mood. I know about the heat. I did not know about the weather in St. Louis. I apologize.
I have studied/read about heat illness. The more times you get the it. The quicker it is to get. Where I used to work. They made the Maintenance guys wear "arc flash Uniforms". 80% cotton 20% Treated nylon. They do not breath. One of the reasons I retired. Last year, I almost went to the ER after work. Had heat sickness 5 times. The year before 4 times.
A couple of years ago, at Holton. 3 or five guys got heat illness. I remember 1 maybe 2 went to ER. The rest stayed in their hotel room.
the big thing about heat illness. If you are thirsty, it's almost too late.......

Mike thanks for the info about the results. I saw a couple of names at the bottom. And was wondering.....
Tim B.

Bill and Russell.
It's always amazed me that at flag setup. There are a ton of people. Clean up time. You are almost by yourself.......:confused:

One thing ........

Why Did I stay till Saturday? There was a ruhmor the conditions were to be great that day! And they were that is why my last HV200 target had a bullet in every ring!

Speaking of crossfires I got crossfires on, 6 bullet holes, but I didn't notice it till 3 targets later when I went to the wall.

Jerry, I think one of my UL targets may have had an extra bullet hole. Not from a crossfire, but from CRS. ;) Sometimes pretty hard to count bullet holes in the sighter and match them to the number of rounds you've fired. Try as you might to keep your record shots separate, its still pretty easy to forget to replace a record round that went on the sighter with one from the block. Saturday morning gave me fits with the switching conditions. Did manage to finally shoot a good group on the last target of the day.

Jerry, I think one of my UL targets may have had an extra bullet hole. Not from a crossfire, but from CRS. ;) Sometimes pretty hard to count bullet holes in the sighter and match them to the number of rounds you've fired. Try as you might to keep your record shots separate, its still pretty easy to forget to replace a record round that went on the sighter with one from the block. Saturday morning gave me fits with the switching conditions. Did manage to finally shoot a good group on the last target of the day.

Mike, this target was a 200 yard target and I could see all 5 holes from the bench. One really good thing about the BRSL Range is the light is normally good enough for me to see holes, sometimes I couldn't see rings and had to shoot the square. Unless like my very last target where the clouds shadowed the targets for 2-3 minutes. The hole in question was enough to the left to add another 1.2 to the existing 5 shot group. I had finished about 2 minutes early and put my gear up and ready to move so I didn't watch the target to the finish. The good part, I wasn't going to win that match or that agg anyway!

I don't shoot from a loading block. I shoot from a tray that contains only the record rounds and all record empties go in a certain place on my mat so it would be almost impossible to make a mistake on the record shots. And too, the kind of winds we had most times going back and forth to the sighter was useless.

I've been told to keep an eye on your target until the command cease fire. Hard to do that especially when you're rotating benches and don't want to make the person coming behind you have to wait. The cross fire would show up on the stationary backer. But, you have to know it happened to report it to the range officer. It's bad enough when we do it to ourself. Another thing when someone else does.

I've been told to keep an eye on your target until the command cease fire. Hard to do that especially when you're rotating benches and don't want to make the person coming behind you have to wait. The cross fire would show up on the stationary backer. But, you have to know it happened to report it to the range officer. It's bad enough when we do it to ourself. Another thing when someone else does.

Keeping an eye on ones target to the cease fire is good advise but how many of us do? I try to keep adjacent shooters advised of my status by removing my bolt when I am finished and tell them beforehand if I am going to be shooting test loads after my record, and only do that if their bolts are removed if we have had a condition that takes them up to to the time limit.

I doubt very seriously if that crossfire was deliberate, and 3 targets later there is nothing the officials could do since the backers have long since been taped. Like I said earlier, no big deal anyhow.

Speaking of heat, one year at the IBS Nats at Canastota it was 105 one day and 107 the next on my Kestrel under my awning and I was parked in the shade. I'm sure the desert shooters can top that but this was in upstate New York in high humidity.

...and I was shooting V133 at the time!

..even worse, it was the first time I met Dennis Tinkam!!

Jerry, that was what I was told. Not necessarily what I do. I'm a pessimist when it comes to shooting. Which means I'm usually done with my group in the first two or three minutes. At the Nationals where you sit there for the full seven minutes, I'll watch my neighbors shoot their groups. When they are done, I'll put my stuff in my cart.

Speaking of heat, one year at the IBS Nats at Canastota it was 105 one day and 107 the next on my Kestrel under my awning and I was parked in the shade. I'm sure the desert shooters can top that but this was in upstate New York in high humidity.

...and I was shooting V133 at the time!

..even worse, it was the first time I met Dennis Tinkam!!

I had the pleasure of shooting bag guns next to dennis all week

Back