Hunting deer/elk with Sierra SMK bullets

My 2 cents worth.........a decent hunt can run several hundred bucks and a hunter begrudges himself success by not using a proper 50 cent bullet!? You shouldn't have asked your question in the first place. Even if you don't care about cost and waste at least think about the animal. Being a hunter involves responsible feelings. At 83 yrs , I've enjoyed 55 yrs of various hunting but medical reasons has stopped my involvement. There have been many times that I let the game go by because I couldn't be sure of a CLEAN KILL but the memory was worth it.
Tim, if I've offended you....tough!
Ted,

Even if you don't care about cost and waste at least think about the animal.

That is why Tim asked about the particular bullet he was THINKING of using.

Does anyone here have first hand knowledge of how this bullet (the SMK 142gr.VLD) acts on deer sized critters? I wont shoot past 500 yards, so I doubt I will be dealing with MV's of any less than 2,000 fps. Am hoping the bullet is soft, like the 308, 175gr. SMK is. Does anyone know, before I shoot some poor critter and make only a tiny pin hole and watch him run off?

It's obvious in his first post that he's aware of the performance differences in the different Matchkings hence his very specific question.

To All,

The internet is an interesting place......................................I asked a couple specific questions and made a respectful request that you not waste your time or mine responding about issues, philosphies, thoughts or beliefs that DO NOT APPLY TO MY QUESTION. Being specific is an act of courtesy and purpose. If you don't like my post, all you have to do is move on.............

To the folks here that have the respect and decency to respond to the actual requests I made in the post, I thank you. It is very helpful and was why I came here with an honest question born of honest concern. It is good to hear from those with actual experience with the SMK and with suggestions of where I might learm more about what I actually asked. To those of you who simply cannot respond as requested, your input is what makes these forums UNNECESSARILY laborious and more trouble than they are worth.

I came to a bench rest forum specifically because I figured some folks here would have experience with SMK bullets. Apparantly some folks don't get that either, even though it is pretty obvious/simple. Further, this is the "General Discussion" board, right? Which was why I posted on this board. Pretty simple, yet is so hard for some.

Again, thank you for the input recieved regarding my questions--it is helpful and why I came here.

Back