Hunter Class (H or VH)

Hunter Matches in Northwest

Al,
Wenatchee has several Hunter (10#, 45.5 grain water capacity, 6X scope) matches scheduled. Check NBRSA News for their schedule.

Jim McConnell
2526 N.E. 8th. Street
East Wenatchee, WA 98802

509-884-8486
macpat@cpucafe.com

There are a couple of past and present NBRSA Record holders who shoot there, Bill Small and Elzie Scott.

Hope you join the ranks.

John

The answer IS . . .

I got it all sorted out now. I just hadn't realized that the IBS guys had allowed themselves to get so intimately fractured. I just went over nd read the rule books again.

For short-range options in my mind there's GROUP (PPC's with huge scopes chasing one bullet hole) and there's SCORE (Big ol' thurties and 6X aiming for center... a MAN'S game ;) ) and then there's "VFS" which is a "fun class" where the group guys can shoot at score targets using the super-dooper scopes.

Guess out east it's become more of a "something for everyone" deal. So is there a HOF for the 30BR sports?

BTW, my shortened .308's and my 30x47L's will BOTH make 3250 with ease :D and beatcha' down just a liddle each round..... I guess I thought that was part and parcel of GROUP shooting. :p

I'm just whining here because I finally got a GROUP gun set up and the nearest shoots I can find listed are clear over in Idaho ..... (Which out here means "a long ways away," like driving to the Caroliners from Maine....) Or I can go halfway around the world to the midwest. That's DAYS' drive....

LOL

BTW..... where can I find a listing of "Hunter" type shooting out here? Shore cain't get no satisfaction off the NBRSA website!

al

Wenatchee Benchrest Club, Wenatchee, WA . . . and more!:eek: Grab your latest copy of the NBRSA News (page 9); check out the North West Region info. Keep 'em ON the X! RG

The NBRSA Hunter shooters could vote to drop the case capacity rule and encourage further partcipation in the class by allowing the 30BR, 30PPC, 30Grendel, etc, etc.

Life would be sweet in the 6 Power game, then. :)

Al
I am surprised to see you suggest this. It would increase participation in 6 Power shooting, but it seems to me it would be the end of Pure Hunter class competition.

Dick

OK....

I talked to Denny Andrews. He's at a match (that I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT BECAUSE IT'S NOT LISTED ONLINE..) this weekend but Charmaine is already sending me schedules....

It just seems to me that it should be easier to see when matches are being held and where...like the NBRSA website? I know that all you'se regulars and retirees just keep a running tally but us family/working types gotta' take our times when we finds 'em......

As far as leaving the "latest issue" of NBRSA lying around for reference, I don't even know where it is. I read 'em in about 3min and set them aside.

anyway, I'm getting schedules as we speak.

al

Al
I am surprised to see you suggest this. It would increase participation in 6 Power shooting, but it seems to me it would be the end of Pure Hunter class competition.
Dick

I see Hunter shooting as being defined by the 6X scope, 10 lb weight and 2.25" fore end stocks. If we could drop the case capacity/minimum bore size rule, it would make building one of these rifles a whole lot easier for people wanting to get into the class. And dropping the magazine cut requirement/action diameter rule would open up the possibilities even further..no more paying extra money for a mfg. to cut a mag. cutout in a nice custom action.

The nice thing is that nobody would have to change a thing to remain competitive. And the days of struggling with reamer and die dimension for shortened 308 cases..not to mention all the work involved with the case prep and maintenance, could be minimized for those that opt to shoot a 30BR, 30PPC, etc.

We could still call the class 'Hunter'. -Al

Last edited:
How about all them cases

I see Hunter shooting as being defined by the 6X scope, 10 lb weight and 2.25" fore end stocks. If we could drop the case capacity/minimum bore size rule, it would make building one of these rifles a whole lot easier for people wanting to get into the class. And dropping the magazine cut requirement/action diameter rule would open up the possibilities even further..no more paying extra money for a mfg. to cut a mag. cutout in a nice custom action.

The nice thing is that nobody would have to change a thing to remain competitive. And the days of struggling with reamer and die dimension for shortened 308 cases..not to mention all the work involved with the case prep and maintenance, could be minimized for those that opt to shoot a 30BR, 30PPC, etc.

We could still call the class 'Hunter'. -Al

A lot of us have labouriously created? We gonna have to throw them away?

Juat as an aside, I shot my 30-284-1.650" in the Varmint Hunter class yesterday. There were two of us and 5 Hunter shooters. One of the Varmint Hunter rifles was the highest scoring 6-X rifle for the day. Didn't make any difference that there were only two in the class, one of them was THE COMPETITION for that day.

If everyone RUSHES to the 30 BR, I will just naturally have to follow, won't I ?

Pete, you just answered your own question.

People with well worked out 30X44's, 30X47's, etc, etc. aren't just going to throw out their barrels, reamers, dies and all the other tooling they've got just to build a shorter .30. And there are many Hunter class shooters, especially in the NBRSA, who consistently hammer out winning scores the 'old school' way: with 135-150's and 14-15 twist barrels. These guns are as competitive as anything out there, believe me!

As proof of this, I'll offer up Tom Henckens IBS National Championship win in Hunter Class at the 2008 IBS Score Nats. with a 30X47-ish case spinning 150's down a barrel twisted 1:14. :cool: Matter of fact, Tom is confident enough in his setup that he's built a 13.5 lb. VfS gun for IBS competition using this same combo.

As the popularity of the Score Two Gun grows, it seems to me we need an easier path for people wanting to get into the 6 Power game. And yes, anyone wanting to do that now can simply build a 30BR and call it a Varmint Hunter gun and shoot in that class. But the truth of the matter is that there will always be more competitors in the Hunter class...so why not simplify everything and roll both classes into one? I'd rather place 3rd. against 20 shooters than win against 2 others. And having only one 6 Power class in the IBS would give the 6 Power SOY some serious bragging rights and bring even more legitimacy to this accomplishment.

One more point: For the last two years, 'Terrible' Terry Meyer has won the IBS Iowa State Score Two Gun championship using a combination of 6PPC :eek: chambered guns: a 6PPC Varmint Hunter and a 6PPC VfS gun! :cool: And while the 6's may give up a few X's to the 30's at 100, winning a 100-200 Grand and/or a Two Gun is all about shooting 10's at 200 and letting the X's fall where they may.

Just my thoughts on it. :) -Al

NBRSA matches = None in my future

DIES = 30 BR

IBS matches = Yes they are available

30BR or 30 X 47 makes no difference in IBS points.

So my decision is to go with the 30BR and if I need to shoot in an NBRSA I can pust out the chamber for it.

Also, David Apple is asking everyone to help bring back the 6 power game so this will be a good starting point for me.

Adrian Van Gorder may join in as well...... :D

Thanks for all the input I really appricate it.

Jerry

I'd be near the head of the line

Pete, you just answered your own question.

People with well worked out 30X44's, 30X47's, etc, etc. aren't just going to throw out their barrels, reamers, dies and all the other tooling they've got just to build a shorter .30. And there are many Hunter class shooters, especially in the NBRSA, who consistently hammer out winning scores the 'old school' way: with 135-150's and 14-15 twist barrels. These guns are as competitive as anything out there, believe me!

As proof of this, I'll offer up Tom Henckens IBS National Championship win in Hunter Class at the 2008 IBS Score Nats. with a 30X47-ish case spinning 150's down a barrel twisted 1:14. :cool: Matter of fact, Tom is confident enough in his setup that he's built a 13.5 lb. VfS gun for IBS competition using this same combo.

As the popularity of the Score Two Gun grows, it seems to me we need an easier path for people wanting to get into the 6 Power game. And yes, anyone wanting to do that now can simply build a 30BR and call it a Varmint Hunter gun and shoot in that class. But the truth of the matter is that there will always be more competitors in the Hunter class...so why not simplify everything and roll both classes into one? I'd rather place 3rd. against 20 shooters than win against 2 others. And having only one 6 Power class in the IBS would give the 6 Power SOY some serious bragging rights and bring even more legitimacy to this accomplishment.

One more point: For the last two years, 'Terrible' Terry Meyer has won the IBS Iowa State Score Two Gun championship using a combination of 6PPC :eek: chambered guns: a 6PPC Varmint Hunter and a 6PPC VfS gun! :cool: And while the 6's may give up a few X's to the 30's at 100, winning a 100-200 Grand and/or a Two Gun is all about shooting 10's at 200 and letting the X's fall where they may.

Just my thoughts on it. :) -Al

To say that Tom put on a clinic in Ohio at last year' 100-200 Nationals. It was about as tough as it gets there, from my perspective. Some of them guys there in Ohier use them big bullets too ya know.

I guess I look at it over the long haul and I , personally, do not want to shoot a big 30 with heavy bullets and fast twist barrels; been there and done it. I like the "Softer Aproach" better. If I had to shoot big heavy to win I probably would find something else to shoot; that's just me. Parker Hills shot a full 308 and for the past few years shoots a 30-47 in VFS and Jim Goody shot his JAG for years and Bill Sargent has just had a 30-47 VFS rifle built and shot it yesterday; it's nothing new. Heck, Greg Palman even has a 30-47 Speedy did for him years ago. He is talking shooting it this year also. Me, I'll continue shootin me 30 BR when I shoot VFS, but that's just me. From my perspective, any bullet weight can win on any given day when the driver has it hooked up.

Secondly, both 6X classes ARE combined for SOY points for every match, all year and at the end for SOY points. The highest scores of the day of BOTH 6X classes are the ones to get the points so the "Competition Thing" is only at the Club level. There is only one winner from both classes at each event as far as SOY points are concerned. It IS a meaningful effort and has been for a long time.

Something I think you should try to understand; different regions of the country do things differently. There is no real interest in a two gun competition here in the East and in fact, there is no , or doesn't appear to be any, interest in 6X shooting south of Thurmont so what can one do? We can't MAKE EM shoot 6 power down there. They offer the classes but any one of us would be the only one there to compete at one of their matches if we went. It is what it is and it isn't likely to change, from what I have observed in my now 11 years of shooting.

I personally don't have any problem with combining both IBS Hunter classes but I believe if it is done, the "Hunter" rule should go away, like you are suggested. It doesn't mean a whole lot anyway, when one gets right down to it. The current Varmint Hunter 100 Yard record has stood for a long time and I beleive Jim Goody said it was shot at Union County, Pa by Joe Gilbert. It was shot with a 6PPC. 250-23. Quite an achievement. I once heard Joe say, "I couldn't miss!"; he only misses 2.

Last edited:
I will go out on a limb here

There was mention of a "PURE" hunter gun. What is a "PURE" Hunter gun??? :cool:

and ass-u-me that what was being referred to was a 10# rifle, 6X scope, 2.25" forend AND a cartridge that held AT LEAST the water volume of a 30-30. The Varmint Hunter it is NOT

Varmint Hunter is that and MORE

and ass-u-me that what was being referred to was a 10# rifle, 6X scope, 2.25" forend AND a cartridge that held AT LEAST the water volume of a 30-30. The Varmint Hunter it is NOT

Even though one can shoot the 6PPC and the 30 BR and / or any other number of chamberings which hold less water than a 30-30, one can also shoot cases that hold MORE than the 30-30, which I do frequently. That is the Beauty of the Varmint Hunter class. You can either go the Wimpy way or shoot a Real Man's rifle. :D

Wit that im mind, perhaps we should eliminate the Huinter class if we must eliminate one of them. :rolleyes:

Pete: The point is that we could drop one of the 6 Power classes in IBS and call the remaining class 'Hunter', 'Varmint Hunter'....either would be fine. As long as the case capacity rule was rescinded, it wouldn't make any difference what we called it. And the ease of building a BR or PPC-cased rig could just possibly encourage some new shooters into the class.

If you go 'way back to the roots of Hunter shooting in the IBS, there was no case capacity rule. 222's were common. -Al

I am wif ya Al

It matters not what anyone shoots as far as I am concerned. I was just trying to point out that instead of there being an advantage granted to the VH class by virtue of cases that hold less water than a 30-30, there may very well be an advantage in the ooposite direction; a-La the 30-47 shooter who shoots 150 g bullets! :( Just as we have dealt with Rear bags, Tunah's and Stocks we can probably deal wit this case capacity thing.

Regarding 6 PPC and 6X shootin; I have seen a few days when the 6 PPC may have had an advantage but not that many. One gives up way too much , from what I have observed over my tenure in the "Bidness", Stack a 30 BR up agin a 6 PPC and one will end up at the same place one does in VFS.

If Joe had been shootin a 30 BR way back then on the day he "Couldn't Miss" he may have, very well shot a 250-25 :eek:!

Last edited:
NBRSA matches = None in my future

DIES = 30 BR

IBS matches = Yes they are available

30BR or 30 X 47 makes no difference in IBS points.

So my decision is to go with the 30BR and if I need to shoot in an NBRSA I can pust out the chamber for it.

Also, David Apple is asking everyone to help bring back the 6 power game so this will be a good starting point for me.

Adrian Van Gorder may join in as well...... :D

Thanks for all the input I really appricate it.

Jerry

Sounds like I'm being called out.

It's Ready

It is a 30 BR built on a Borden Alpine Action

HVRIG.jpg

Can't wait to shoot it this weekend...

JR:D

Back