Hummer rifle

Lets look at the opposite. Have any of you had or heard of a rifle that, while made of top components, put together by a top smith, and shot with a variety of barrels, just never quite got to where it should have been? If that has happened, why not the opposite?

Lets look at the opposite. Have any of you had or heard of a rifle that, while made of top components, put together by a top smith, and shot with a variety of barrels, just never quite got to where it should have been? If that has happened, why not the opposite?

My 'old HV' reflects this point: multiple barrels, two stocks and several scopes all resulted in nothing better than HO-Hummer performance . . . then, I sent it off to Jim Borden . . . since leaving his shop, it's never seen another ho-hummer barrel: every subsequent barrel has proven very competitive. "Go figure"!:rolleyes: RG

Whatever Y'all come up with here I know one thing for certain. It's almost impossible to recover from a hummer gone bad.

Paul's wife called me a few days ago asking for some estimates on a couple of his rifles. I asked if that red rifle was one of them and it was not. Gave her some ballpark estimates and told her not to use those numbers on that red one. If there's ever been a hummer that one is.

like i always do when i see a post by you.............. "hey wilbur hope your doing good" :D

and yes if there ever was a "hummer rifle" his was.

Last edited:
You Bet. I have had Rifles that I could not wait to get rid of.

I have one Farley that has been such a good performer over the past years, (1997 MODEL), that I took it all apart and converted it to a drop port. Unfortunatly, because of work, my shooting has suffered greatly this year, so I have not even had a chance to test it in match conditions since the conversion. The one time I had it at the range, it shot quite well with an old take off barrel I had laying around............jackie

My hummer rifle got me a 3rd place HV grand agg this weekend in st louis at the Mississippi valley regional. What a rifle. Oh and get this, the barrel i shot was an old krieger barrel that had 1000 plus rounds on it. I didnt think i was going to get to go to this shoot, but we found a sitter for my girls for Saturday morning while my wife worked, so at the last minute i threw everything in the truck and split. I didnt think i would do all that well not being prepared and all so i left that old practice barrel on the rifle and went with it. What a gun it is!!! Now if i could get My LV to shoot i might stand a real chance!! Lee

We may be seeing a trend. Many of the hummer rifles people talk about here and elsewhere tend to be HVs, including mine. Could 3lbs make that much of a difference in making up for our poor gunhandling habits? Or is there another valid reason why that is so? Either way, it just tells me to pay more attention to my bench technique.

Mustafa

"Gunhandling" is a term used to explain an errant shot when all along the rifle did something stupid all by itself. Stated differently, folks that don't have a good rifle often have poor gunhandling habits.

IMO, with slick rifle and bags, shooting free, a hot loaded 6PPC can jump some as it recoils. Although I don't have a HV, I do shoot other rifles that are heavy for their caliber, and the extra weight calms things down considerably. Perhaps this is why Mike Ratigan has written that shooting a short .22 PPC is like cheating...the recoil to weight thing. On the other hand, If you hold or pin the rifle I would think that there would be less difference. I believe that it was Mr. Boyer that said that shooting a HV can lead to bad gun handling since the weight allows you to get away with things that a lighter rifle would not tolerate. (Not his exact words but that thought)

Just so happens in my case that my good rifle only weighs 11# 13oz with the LV barrel on it that i usually shoot. So yes a little more weight but not 3#. I am a seasoned shot-gunner with lots of success, and one thing i have learned is that a gun or stock has to fit the shooter. In bench rest this may or may not be as important as in shotgunning but i still feel it is a vital roll. I have a little skinny Leonard stock on one of my ppc rifle, and even though its the most beautiful stock you have ever seen, it just doesn't fit my shooting requirements or style or technique or whatever. Bottom line is that it just isn't real comfortable to me. I pin my rifles when shooting as i learned early on, this would allow me to get away with errors i was making in my technique that i didn't even know i had. This style has worked well for me so i haven't even thought of changing. Lee

A couple of years ago, I was standing amoungst four Hall of Famers. One was throwing a fit about a gun he'd been tinckering with for a couple of years and if just won't shoot. After a little bit, I asked them how far will poor gun handling cause a shot to go. All were in agreement that unless your using a sledge, gun handling won't throw a shot out a ring, maybe a half a ring at worst, other than that, it's the tune or the gun.

What I have taken away from many conversations with them is that the amount we might think of isn't the same as they do. I remember an article where Dwight S. said "I do a lot tuning with an action wrench" or something close to that.

Hovis

Zippy,
I did pretty interesting. I tried the free recoil thing when i first started shooting benchrest and i soon found that my set up wasnt exactly perfect and i didnt know how to make it perfect. I tried to fix this and that for a while with no avail. After a little frustration and a conversation with a well known shooter, I decided i would try pinning my rifles, instead of free recoiling them. Pinning the rifle against the front rest works much better for me and i have become very comfortable with it. God gave me a set of big shoulders so i figure i better use them for something other than swinging sledge hammers. No, in all seriousness i think pinning my rifles takes away a lot of variables for me. Most of you know by now part of my hobby with benchrest shooting is buying and selling rifles and other benchrest items. I have to to be able to afford this game. I have shot several rifles over the past 4 or 5 years. one thing i have learned by doing so, is that some rifles just flat out shoot and most dont. Dont get me wrong any benchrest rig will shoot well if built properly but there seems to be a few among the bunch that just outshine the rest. I have one for sure and possible a second with my new Borden actioned rifle. So far it is looking really really good. I have my fingers crossed. Everyone needs a special LV ppc. You all also know i enjoy these types of conversations, and i appreciate the participation. Lee

"Could 3lbs make that much of a difference in making up for our poor gunhandling habits? "

Nope.
My Hunter/Varmint Hunter has won a number of state and one National championships for me. It has had a number of barrels in both Hunter and Varmint Hunter Class. This set up just plain shoots.

Who's yo Daddy?

That rifle once shot a 249-23 and the operator was at fault for the dropped point and it being the last shot :(.

Back