How to make my rifle track straight?

I reread this thread, and no where does the OP say anything about shooting long range.

True, his Rifle has a stock deigned for long range, but it appears he is shooting 100 yards.

Last edited:
I tune at 100 for 1000, where I can control the conditions I shoot under. when stated what he was using, it was not a short range gun. if you see .1 or less groups at 100 you I guess you assume it is a short range gun? I remember awhile back I shot 5 groups at 100 yds. with Barts 105 and it agged under a .1 and you guy called me a liar. I sure don't need a big gun to shoot small at 1000 to try to beat the wind.
I won't bother all you experts anymore........... jim

I tune at 100 for 1000, where I can control the conditions I shoot under. when stated what he was using, it was not a short range gun. if you see .1 or less groups at 100 you I guess you assume it is a short range gun? I remember awhile back I shot 5 groups at 100 yds. with Barts 105 and it agged under a .1 and you guy called me a liar. I sure don't need a big gun to shoot small at 1000 to try to beat the wind.
I won't bother all you experts anymore........... jim
Good Morning Jim
This is an F Y I ,,, If you have a gun that AGGS under a .100 @100 that is WORLD RECORD TERRITORY for any weight category in our discipline. The 5 shot unlimited was recently broken but could not be recognized because the match was not registered and the stationary backer was not in place. .0810 AGG

Last edited:
lets see, you jump in and try telling a record holder at 1000 yards how things are.
again you have gone where you should not.
jim it is best to ignore him. go look at his behavior on accurate shooter.

Good Morning Jim
This is an F Y I ,,, If you have a gun that AGGS under a .100 @100 that is WORLD RECORD TERRITORY for any weight category in our discipline. The 5 shot unlimited was recently broken but could not be recognized because the match was not registered and the stationary backer was not in place. .0810 AGG

lets see, you jump in and try telling a record holder at 1000 yards how things are.
again you have gone where you should not.
jim it is best to ignore him. go look at his behavior on accurate shooter.

Just STATING Facts

Last edited:
If it is not obvious is it still considered bloviation or garrulous ?

NOT obvious would be for me to learn that you and Jim often compete together, shooting side-by-each in a spirit of friendly comaraderie....... that in this spirited competitive spirit you often 'dig' at each other in a neato fashion and that this reminder that Jim is shooting very well is a side-handed compliment to Jim's dedication and skill.

I am a newbie to benchrest type shooting. I'm using a Sinclair Competition rest, a Protektor DR rear bag with 1/2" spacing, and a Savage BR stock (bottom of butt is flat and basically parallel to the forearm). Looking through the scope and running the rifle back and forth, the crosshairs always track down and right. The vertical I get... its a function of the stock being thicker as it nears the palm swell and that causes the the rifle to raise in the rear bag during recoil. I would imagine the yaw is bag alignment, but is that alignment of the rear bag to the front rest? The front bag doesn't sit straight? Rear bag not straight? I haven't yet found information that clearly defines the accepted methods for aligning the bags and troubleshooting tracking issues. Not being able to solve this on my own is making me feel rather dumb and I've considered my rifle might make a better lamp stand than what I am doing with it! Grrrr... And tips, pointers, methodologies etc would save my rifle from wearing a lampshade. Thanks all!
I believe you have the same stock as I do. I milled mine so the taper is even from front to back. I also milled it parallel to the forearm. I made the angle ~22 deg and 5/8 wide. It definitely tracks much better than the original configuration. With the original configuration I found it difficult to keep properly seated in the rear bag. How important is it I cant say but I can say I shot my first clean relay (600 yd F class) after I mode this modification. I think this modification alone improved my scores 3 points per relay. I did this after seeing another shooters post on Accurate shooter.

Attachments

• 20160804_204017.jpg
    20160804_204017.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 229
  • 20160804_203940r1.jpg
    20160804_203940r1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 228
Aaaaaannnndd another soap opera episode of "As the Wind Flag Turns" .... tho extra vocabulary points for correct contextual usage of both "garrulous" and "bloviate" ...

Back