How to choose SOY for local club?

James M.

Our local club shoots a 600 yard match each month and I suggested that we should select a shooter of the year. Our match is shot for score only on the IBS 600 yard target. Should we select the SOY based on average score with a minimum number of matches (i.e. 5 or 6 or ?)? Should we consider the best 6 matches or average all of the ones shot? Maybe the average finish with a minimum of 6 should be considered with the low score being the winner? What do you think would be most fair? Thanks, James Mock

Attachments

• 600 yd Match-June 010-001.jpg
    600 yd Match-June 010-001.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 149
Our local club shoots a 600 yard match each month and I suggested that we should select a shooter of the year. Our match is shot for score only on the IBS 600 yard target. Should we select the SOY based on average score with a minimum number of matches (i.e. 5 or 6 or ?)? Should we consider the best 6 matches or average all of the ones shot? Maybe the average finish with a minimum of 6 should be considered with the low score being the winner? What do you think would be most fair? Thanks, James Mock

I like the IBS score point system. It encourages participation by having a pretty high number(10) of matches that count for points(best 10), while allowing to drop bad lower scores after the 10 matches are met. Particularly, I like that it allows for more points at big matches, where the winner beats out lots of other shooters. I'm not fond of a score based system because people will stay at home on windy days or shoot at ranges considered to be "honey holes" to game the scoring somewhat. JMO, James, but I think it's a good idea, however you decide is best for your club.

The most fair IMHO would be the average of all matches shot, but you might get some grumbling from those who shot most of the matches if someone who shot only a few won. There is also the opportunity to encourage participation by requiring a minimum number of matches, and further, by taking the best of a certain number of matches. For instance, IBS short range score takes the best of 10 matches. With this system, after you shoot the minimum number of matches, you can only improve your SOY score, and never hurt it. A shooter with several exceptional performances wins over a consistently good shooter, which is the reason I think it may not be as fair, but it keeps shooters coming to the matches.

There is also the issue of different conditions at different matches, so placement versus the other shooters on that day can be used, rather than the actual score on the target. Like IBS score, you could give each shooter a score equal to the number of shooters that they beat at each match. Add them up and the highest score wins SOY.

Happy holidays,
Keith

There's one other option, and I can't remember how it works...the one that after so many matches you can actually hurt your score by shooting. Any way, don't do that one! The whole purpose for that kind of thing is to improve attendance. Set it up so that a competitor can miss a match and still win if he attends the remainder. In any case, try to make it a big deal.

Francis, keep up the fine shooting and next year you will be a shoe in for "Soy Sauce of the Year". Sorry, I don't know what came over me.

James,

I'd go with the best 6 matches. The guys in SE Ohio do something similar. That gives everyone a chance to get in the game. You could even collect a small cash fee say 5 dollars and the SOY could also be awarded a cash prize.

Bart

You want to avoid it becoming an attendance contest, but you still want to reward dedication to the cause.

At Our Tomball Club Matches, where we shoot the Varmint for Score Format, we have 5 Matches spread out over the spring and summer. The first two, (Feb and March), are 100 yards. The next, (June), is at 200 yards. The fourth (Aug), is 100 yards, and we finish up in October with 200 yards.

The Shooter of The Year is determined by adding up the scores of your best of 4 Matches. That means if you miss a Match, or have a bad day, you can toss one Match. As Match Director, I keep record of the scores, at the end, it's a matter of adding up the best four of the best shooters.

As with all score shooting, the object first is to stay clean. Every year our Shooter of The Year has been clean for his best four Matches. Of course, a perfect score for 4 Matches would be a 1000 100X. It really helps to have at least one great 200 yard match.

I think it is very competitive. I managed to win it this year with a 1000 84x. I did drop a point at the last 200 yard Match, but I got to toss that one, as I shot clean at the June 200 yard Match.

The Club that I shoot at adds the best 6 of 8 possible scores. We shoot 1 & 200 so you must use 3-100 yd and 3 -200 yd scores, since you are shooting all 600 yds just add the best scores with 2 throw away matches so that if someone has to miss a couple matches they are still in the running for the SOY. The shooters that attend all of the matches can throw out 2 matches so that gives them a bonus for loyal attendance.

Back