How much torque??

V

voldoc02

I have gotten several opinions as to the amount of inch -pounds
of torque that should be used on a round bottom Rem. type pillar
bedded stock when tightening the action screws.. I would like your opinions.
thanks in advance
Doc Stone

There was an article in Precision Shooting ,a long time ago, that mentioned that the stock aluminum floor plate does not handle 65 in. lbs. well over time, due to the spreading effect of the angle on the bottom of the screw heads and the strength of the aluminum. You may have noticed that several companies make steel replacements. On this same topic, a friend once told me that Army smiths try various torques for each rifle, shooting to determine the accuracy at each setting, and untorquing and retorquing for each new setting.

One must check

Occasionally. Bedding will shrink over time and change the values. I purchased a rifle last year that was shooting erratically. The former owner gave up on it. After I purchased it I checked the torque on the action screws and found them to be only finger tight. I tightned them to 60 inch pounds and found that I could not open the bolt. I had to trim the front screw in length to keep it from touching the bolt.

With non bedded rifles, varying the torque on the action screws will change the way they shoot and is done commonly but, a good bedding job should eliminate varying the torque on the screws. If it doesn't the bedding job is not correct.

Back