How much have we improved?

JD Mock

Here are the NBRSA records as of Jan. 1st, 1968. I found these in a June,1968 Edition of Precision Shooting Magazine. I hope the print is large enough to read. James
1hfqc2.jpg

How about an equipment list for the top 20 at the 1958 Nationals (From Nov. 1958 PS). James
vfjpfa.jpg

Last edited:
A better question would be, "How much has BR equipment improved?" Most of those old guys were as good, or better, than any of us have ever thought we were. Give them one of today's rifles and a block of ammo and they will kick butt just like they did back then.

Ray

Ray, George Kelbly said that the greatest imrpovement in accuracy and precision was the result of wind flags. James

Glenn, I don't really know, but most of these records were shot with a few crude flags....such as a streamer tied to the target frame. James

Last edited:
James,That's kinda what I figured . That makes those records even more impressive. If all we had today were a few crude wind flags, I bet the records would be a lot closer. Even with the latest and greatest equipment.

I agree with Ray. Those guys could shoot.

Glenn

Just for Comparision

An old Match report from the NBRSA Nationals held Sept.5,1966 at Midland,Tx. You may have to use a magnifier to read it.

The interesting thing about this old report is that some of the Competitors listed are still shooting. On a windy day in Midland,Tx,todays aggs aren't too much better than what you see in this old report.

scan0001.jpg

Glenn

It's all in wind flag usage...

In the early 1970’s when the first NBRSA Nationals was held at Kelbly’s, George Sr. set wind flags over the entire range. The competitors at the time said it was the best improvement ever for the benchrest game.

I remember looking at the Nationals trophies with the aggregate sizes engraved on the plates, and one can see a sudden drop in aggregate sizes about .1000”- .1500” in the late 1970’s to early 1980’s when it became popular for individual competitors to set their own wind flags.

When we sell benchrest rifles to new shooters, we let them know right off the bat that they are wasting their time if they don’t use wind flags. One can never take advantage of the optimum accuracy capable of almost any rifle without the use of wind flags.

Typically, I’m guessing that the average size of the groups shot by newer shooters with modern equipment without the use of wind flags at 100 yards is around a half-inch. It’s much worse at 200 yards…probably 1-MOA. That is on our range in typical conditions.

Greg Walley
Kelbly’s Inc.

Here are the NBRSA records as of Jan. 1st, 1968. I found these in a June,1968 Edition of Precision Shooting Magazine. I hope the print is large enough to read. James
1hfqc2.jpg
Fur izzample, the LV100 5-5-100 of 0.24 held by Red Corneilson in 1968, this March at the Shamrock by Jim Carmichel was bested from its previous. Jims new record is 0.13?? which is about half of the 1968 record.

I believe Mock has an article in progress on this event??

In the early 1970’s when the first NBRSA Nationals was held at Kelbly’s, George Sr. set wind flags over the entire range. The competitors at the time said it was the best improvement ever for the benchrest game.

Greg Walley
Kelbly’s Inc.

George Kelbly Sr can be credited with introducing the wholesale use of Wind Flags to the Sport of Benchrest Competition. Some of you veteran's may already know that,but I didn't. A few Months ago, I invited a new shooter to join the ranks of the addicted. He recently ordered some new components from Kelbly's. He will be impressed to know that his chosen supplier is one of the Sports pioneers.

Believe it or not, The history of the Sport is important. Wind Flags have a lot to do with "How far we've come"

Glenn

Back