How high off the ground to reduce mirage significantly?

Mirage

Boyd,
Some of our readers haven't shot here in the west where you and I are. Here in the summer you can't
Even see the mirage board, much less the target.
A rail will at least let you shoot whether you can see well or not. Sometimes if it's not too bad you can at least figure what condition is worth what.
Dave B

Thinking about this for a few days, I don't think you can eliminate the mirage other than using a lower power scope. Please note that I said "think".

A friend told me a story about a time when he and some friends went prairie dog hunting. When they arrived at the spot where they were going to shoot, seeing ample targets, he decided to take a few shots from "bipod prone" before setting up his shooting table. From that position there was a lot of mirage, and he did not make the percentage of hits that he would have expected. The view through his scope was generally poor. After that, they moved slightly and set up their tables on a spot where they were shooting from high ground, across lower ground, to high ground, the mirage and view through his scope were much better, and his percentage of hits returned to where it should have been, given the conditions.

I think that this is one of those things that we are better off testing, rather than guessing about. Today would not be that day, because of the weathier, but in a couple of months, on a hot still day, I want to have my test stand ready to go.

I don't know how you can eliminate mirage

Thinking about this for a few days, I don't think you can eliminate the mirage other than using a lower power scope. Please note that I said "think".

If you've ever driven down a Highway on a hot summer day,you can see mirage with the naked eye.shimmering off the asphalt at a distance. I have seen it. That was when I was a lot younger with better eyes.

Glenn

Back