How far can you see bullet holes?

How far can you see bullet holes in your target. Have you ever used this one and have you compared it to other more expensive ones?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ub...63651&Words=celestron&Search=true#Post2045463

gt40

PS: Scroll up to the top to see the pics.

I can often see 6MM bullet holes on a 600yd target using a 45 Leupold.........if I draw the morning relay.

Mirage, not resolution is my limiter.

I've never shot 600 in a pouring rain but my guess is that it would help, a lot. On my homerange at 350yds a good rain clears the air up mah'v'lous.....

al

Since we're talkin' F-Class here... think about it. Trying to see a *very* small black hole in a black target face is fairly difficult to begin with. Once you add in things like poor lighting angle (dictated by range layout, nothing you can do about it), multiple pasters on the target face as the string (or match) progresses, mirage, overcast skies... I'm not sure there is a scope made that could do it beyond 300yds on a regular basis.

In reality... don't worry about seeing bullet holes. Thats what they put spotters in your target for.

Realisitc

I can often see 6MM bullet holes on a 600yd target using a 45 Leupold.........if I draw the morning relay.

Mirage, not resolution is my limiter.

I've never shot 600 in a pouring rain but my guess is that it would help, a lot. On my homerange at 350yds a good rain clears the air up mah'v'lous.....

al

But Al, wet targets are harder to see bullet holes in.--Mike

Mike you're right....

Monte, I only use it on the record string. And it's a freakin' tough call to stop shooting just to look at the target. All it's ever done for me so far is make me shoot two little groups in HV. BTW, I can basically read newsprint nearly any day of the week at 300. I regularly read the notes on my targets at 350. Things don't get dicey until about 450 and out.

al

Al,

I don't doubt ya... but given that the question is in the F-Class forum, I'm answering it within that context.

Big black target face, little black holes, and unless its a walk-n-paste (usually limited to 300yds and less) match, you don't have a choice - they pull and mark every shot. The 'hole' only exists in the target face for a short while - 5-10 seconds - before they stick a spotter disk in it.

Thanks guys,

I was hoping to be able to see 6mm holes out to 600+ so when I practice I wouldn't need a person to paste white dots after each shot. Right now I can shoot out to 400 yds at my camp, but have to drive out & back with my ATV to check the targets. A guy I work with is going to set up a private one lane range for us on his parents place that will get out to 800 yds. We will still have to make the ATV run though. That place is 1.5 hours drive which will be the closest we can shoot those distances. The next one is 2.5 hours and you can not practice there. They only shoot 4 times a year. Georgia is not a Mecca for long range shooting.

gt40

See bullet hole at long range, NO Problemo... You just need bigger boooolets

cookiecutter.jpg

oh you meant 6mm!

Hang another white card about a yard behind your target. It can help sometime, particularly when you hit the black.

gt40: Consider using white targets with an small orange aiming point ( I like the Birchwood Casey stick-ons, in 1" to 3" sizes depending on distances), for all sight-ins and practice for group firing. Points of impact and group sizes will be the same, black or white target. With minimal or no mirage I can spot 6mm holes at 500 to 600 yds. with my Nightforce at 35x to 42x, and with the Nikon Fieldscope 111 82mm spotting scope, eyepiece also around 40x.

RE: "Cookie cutter"

What the heck is that thing? - nhk

That looks like a photo of the ultimate short range (25 ft.) score gun -- The CookieCutter!!
Possibly invented by the famous Charlie & Cheryl Hood combo in the infancy of varmint for score era. (Charlie had the first one I ever saw.)
Recoil was barely tolerable and the muzzle flash would blind you from 6 benches away. The muzzle blast was known to move a Farley rest to the adjacent bench.
NOT for the faint of heart.

Cookie cutter

That looks like a photo of the ultimate short range (25 ft.) score gun -- The CookieCutter!!
Possibly invented by the famous Charlie & Cheryl Hood combo in the infancy of varmint for score era. (Charlie had the first one I ever saw.)
Recoil was barely tolerable and the muzzle flash would blind you from 6 benches away. The muzzle blast was known to move a Farley rest to the adjacent bench.
NOT for the faint of heart.

What caliber was it what did they shoot in it? - nhk

See bullet hole at long range, NO Problemo... You just need bigger boooolets

cookiecutter.jpg

oh you meant 6mm!

Do you count the score as a perfect 80 + 8 Xs including the sighter target?

Aim small hit BIG, ;)

gt40

gt40: Consider using white targets with an small orange aiming point ( I like the Birchwood Casey stick-ons, in 1" to 3" sizes depending on distances), for all sight-ins and practice for group firing. Points of impact and group sizes will be the same, black or white target. With minimal or no mirage I can spot 6mm holes at 500 to 600 yds. with my Nightforce at 35x to 42x, and with the Nikon Fieldscope 111 82mm spotting scope, eyepiece also around 40x. F D Shuster

Frank has beaten me to the punch with this suggestion, as that is what I was going to recommend. I'll add that I can see 6mm holes in our white 600 yard BR targets through a Sightron Series III 8-32X56LR scope, such is its resolution. However, mirage is rarely if ever a problem on Diggle Ranges 1,000 ft ASL in the north of England - just wind variability! With a good scope with yet higher magnification, you'll have no difficulty at all. Black holes on black targets are a different matter completely though.

I don't know the correct optical term for it, but sky scopes view upside down and backwards. i.e you see left right and top to bottom. You cannot correct this because of the prisms/mirrors.

From a physics of optics stand point

However, the combination of air pollution, thermal, and wind effects popularly known as "mirage" will usually dictate the ultimate limit of visibility. Also limiting will be the design of the target and backer (usually poor for visibility of bullet holes).

The other point is that a constant power eye piece will usually give you a better image than a variable for less than half the cost. You can actually buy several single power eyepieces for the price of the variable and be way ahead of the game.

I usually carry two while hunting and use a 22 X for finding the animal and 32X for checking details. For 1K f-class I just use the 22X.

If you absolutely have to be able to see bullet holes at 600 yards on a regular basis for practice there is one solution I have seen.

One of the the shooters at a local club had a camcorder with a wireless transmitter which he mounted at the target. He then installed the receiver at his firing position and had a flat screen TV that displayed the image. It was all powered by a rechargeable battery/inverter he had found.

Unfortunately, I do not recall the details of the equipment he used.

Back