How do I get the best out of Chronograph results

vicfox

I recently got a Chonograph for my rimfire bench rest shooting and have given it an initial work out having a basic understanding of what they deliver but wanted some advise on details re how and what to utilize from the information, what to look for, how many shots to use and what can I learn from all the data ect.

Rimfire ammo is night and day from centerfire ammo.
A chrono is a must have tool with centerfire ammo, because you can control everything, but on rimfire, it's just a nice to have as you can control nothing.
Not even the speed value that comes in the box can, majority of the times, be reproduced.

That said, and if you have one, and desired to take some tie using it, I think the best way is to choose the slowest ammo lot between what's available, considering it shots well. You will also find values that will puzzle you, meaning, spread values but ammo still grouping.
I'm sorry to say, but a chrono is of very little value on rimfire ammo.

As Pedro indicates, interesting but non critical. The absolute ONLY verification as to your ammo quality is holes on the target. Low ES is far from being the only factor on top flight ammo.

Thanks for the replies. Fortunatly I bought an older second hand unit so minimal expence and thankfully it works well but I had quesions of just what it might help with. So far I have tested some different rounds to see their consistancy and a bit surprised with what I have seen .

Yet to test all 4 different batches of some SK Long Range that I know 2 lots there is a considerable difference in accurate performace with, one being very good and the other on just so it will be interesting to see how the performace of each batch's accuracy compares to it speed consistancy.

I have noticed that the SK+, Eley Subs. Midas+ and Long Range that I have briefly tested so far have been very close in speed although that one shot every now and again in each brand which is faster isn't as accurate even in the Midas+ I have.

I was hoping that at least the high end match rounds that have previously shot exceptionally well showed to be equaly consistent in their speeds giving me even more confidence but seems more testing might be require to see that.

Back