How come no YouTube video for 6PPC case prep

D

DougMH

Why don't one of you experts produce a YouTube video that takes 6 PPC ammo preparation from cradle to grave... starting with the raw Lapua .220 Russian cases.

I'm just getting into BR shooting and bought a 6 PPC from a member of my club (Fairfax Rod & Gun Club, Manassas, VA). Did real well in my first match with it placing 4th (out of 14) with a 250-18X (against 100% 30BR shooters), but I was using ammo prepared by the previous owner. I have my own stuff on order with only verbal instructions.

Something like a YouTube video for visually oriented people would be great... SO GET ON IT!!!!! Please?

Making 6PPC cases is faily simple, and there is a ton of information out there on making them, and there is more than 1 way to skin the cat. I dont think that a you tube video would explain anything that books, and other materials does. To do a video, it would have to be done in several diferent time periods, due to cutting the necks, finding the jab of the chamber, and fireforming.

Cases are easy to make, but if you have a group of shooters that close. They should be your first resource; learning it in person would be better and if while you are doing this if you make a mistake somebody can help set you straight right away.

I think that the advice to have someone show you is good. Also, you do not have to learn on expensive brass. I have a number of cases that have been picked up at the range, that I keep around to do setups of neck turners with. For 6mm I expand .222 cases. With free brass, you don't have to worry about mistakes. I will say that I enjoy having a Holland neck thickness mic. that reads to .0001. One thing that I can tell you to watch out for, is that when you are trying to hit a particular ten thousandth, that surface finish matters. If you are doing tests turning by hand, they will have a slightly coarser finish than when cut at higher speed with power, and if you do as I do, and finish with a little 0000 steel wool, to remove the micro ridges, leave some room for that. Otherwise, if you set the turner to hit it right on the mark turned by hand, with no after polishing, your final thickness can end up a little less than you wanted.

While we are on the subject, are there any questions about specific operations within the general category of case prep?

Back