hot barrel shot stringing

reelxprs

Now that it is finally gotten warm here in SE NC I am having a problem with horizontal stringing of my shots. At 200 yds. the shots will string out of the 10 ring all the way to the 8 ring usually to the right. The problem usually starts after about 20 rounds have been shot. The gun will shoot .4 to .5 groups at 200 after the first 5 to 10 shots.
Is this a bedding problem or what? The rifle is a old Wichita action with Krieger barrel in 30 br. My load is 34.0 of h4198 using various 118 gr 7 or 9 ogive bullets.

Thanks for your help
Jeff

The first question that comes to mind is

Now that it is finally gotten warm here in SE NC I am having a problem with horizontal stringing of my shots. At 200 yds. the shots will string out of the 10 ring all the way to the 8 ring usually to the right. The problem usually starts after about 20 rounds have been shot. The gun will shoot .4 to .5 groups at 200 after the first 5 to 10 shots.
Is this a bedding problem or what? The rifle is a old Wichita action with Krieger barrel in 30 br. My load is 34.0 of h4198 using various 118 gr 7 or 9 ogive bullets.

Thanks for your help
Jeff

"how many groups like this have you seen? And "have seen any of these that go INTO the condition?" Is the condition dependent on the number of shots or is it temperature dependent? What happens if you were to run 7-10 shots on a clean barrel?

David

"how many groups like this have you seen? And "have seen any of these that go INTO the condition?" Is the condition dependent on the number of shots or is it temperature dependent? What happens if you were to run 7-10 shots on a clean barrel?

David

The stringing happens only after I have shot 20 to 25 consecitive shots. The barrel is very hot to the touch by then.
Jeff

The first question that comes to my mind is why would you shoot 20-25 consecutive shots? Trying to burn a barrel up is the only thing that comes to mind. Have you checked to make sure the barrel is not contacting the stock when it gets super hot?

to OP,,,come up to fairchance this fall and you will see em strung clear off the paper at 200yds!!!!,,,,I got lots of targets like that,,,usually on a windy day,,,Roger

Now that it is finally gotten warm here in SE NC I am having a problem with horizontal stringing of my shots. At 200 yds. the shots will string out of the 10 ring all the way to the 8 ring [Uusually to the right. The problem usually starts after about 20 rounds have been shot. The gun will shoot .4 to .5 groups at 200 after the first 5 to 10 shots. Is this a bedding problem or what? The rifle is a old Wichita action with Krieger barrel in 30 br. My load is 34.0 of h4198 using various 118 gr 7 or 9 ogive bullets. Thanks for your help. Jeff

Maybe this will help. Pulled from my Benchrest file:

"TUNING OUT HORIZONTAL & VERTICAL DISPERSION

Most of my shooting during the past several years has been in the wind free environment of the tunnel. One thing that continues to repeat with every gun, barrel and bullet combination I have worked with is that

horizontal dispersion results from bullets being seated too far into the lands

vertical dispersion is the result of the powder charge being either too hot or too light.

Daryl Loker told me years ago that you tune out horizontal with neck tension and bullet seating depth,

tune the vertical out with the load. (Or in recent years since the advent of tuners, with the tuner.)

I assure you, if I put my standard load of powder in and seat the bullets on hard jam, I'll have two bullet holes of built in horizontal, and that's in a tunnel with no wind!

Pushing bullets back into the case .005 at a time, and the horizontal will disappear just when the bullets come off the lands or just kissing.

You might as well keep this to yourself after you see it with your own eyes because no one will believe you if you try to tell them; it goes completely against conventional wisdom.

Gene Beggs"

Thanks for your help
Jeff

Approximately how much torque do you use to tighten the barrel to the receiver?

I have found the shot stringing with a warm barrel to sometimes be caused by a poor fit between the barrel shoulder and the face of the receiver. I have seen this with the Rem 700 actions. After the face of the receiver and the shoulder were "trued" the problem went away. This is not usually a problem with the custom actions.

Jon

Back