Hornady's New 17 Hornet

Roger T

I see from a snippet in G&A this month (pg.96) That Horn. is releasing the cartridge. 20gr VMax @3650 fps. I'll bet Ruger, CZ will have the first rifles chambered as such (Ruger probably THE first). Will this take the 17 HMR to the back seat ;), and put the 17Mach II and 17 Hornet as the top 2 (no I did not forget the 17 Fireball). ? Thoughts on this. Passing Fad ?

Last edited:
The 17 caliber...

Has been a passing fad for the last 50 or 60 years. Nothing new with the 17 Hornet except factory loads and rifles.:cool:

I see this as my perfect Coyote caliber. CZ would be my choice for a factory chambering but, we shall see.

A "K" or Ackley style case would be nice. REALOADABLE & TUNABLE is probably the biggest selling point VS .20-.25 $ a shot for the HRM. I would've liked to see a 20 or 22 cal "K" or Ack. Hornet legitimized myself. Getting powder into those TINY .17 necks is a pain BUT it'll allow you to adjust to your rifle. I also think the 17 Mach II is overtaking the 17HRM is sales/use (any comment from Industry people ?).

""I also think the 17 Mach II is overtaking the 17HRM is sales/use (any comment from Industry people ?). ""

May be in some areas.... But I will say that the public ranges I frequent..... LOTTS'a 17HMR spent cases!... Darn near as much as 22LR............

My buddy has a CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR that is wicked accurate..... Well, as long as the Oklahoma wind aint BLOWWW'nSwitch'n... Which IS rare...!

But I agree Roger, the little 17 Mach II is getting more and more popular.... Gonna get a pre-fit Shilen MachII for one of
my Savage varmint getters this Fall..! Still I like my .20's....!

cale

I don't have any 20's but I think a 20 OR 22 "K" "ACK" Hornet would have been a GREAT fit. Besides the 17 market is gettin a bit crowded aint it.

Must be a regional thing as I have never even seen Mach II ammo for sale at any of the local places including Sportsmans Whorehouse. Most of my friend all have the hummer but none a MII.

As for being idea for coyotes, I think it is still marginal as many of my coyotes are shot at 200-250 yds.

I do think it would be perfect for fox and bobcats as the furs are actually worth something on them. I have often lamented the lack of a perfect fur cartridge in my safe!

.17 craze

I built a .17 Rem years ago when I was doing a lot of fox shooting for furs. At that time the .17 rimfires weren't around. I built it on a shillen dga single shot action, rem BR trigger, shillen barrel, a nice piece of black wallnut and topped with a 6x-18x redfield.

Paid for itself in 2 years. Don't use it much these days but it still aggs in the high two's if I read the conditions well. Anything smaller than a fox and it blows 'em to pieces. But I wouldn't consider a rimfire .17 because most of the varmints I shoot with the .17 are usually well out of effective range for them. But the craze for the sub calibres go in and out of season. Just sems that they are in season at the moment.
Andy

EABCO bolthannle, 17 Mach II in Ruger 10-22 friggin' ROCKS!!!!!

al

Yea Al.... I got one of those from Eabco too.... At first, the groups were a bit loose.... But after first 150 rounds, It got better.
Now the little 17 Mach2 rimfire barrel will hold very consistent 1/2" 50yd groups or a tad better... Just under .750 at 100yds with the occasional 1/2 5shot group in stable light conditions @100.
Mine favors the Eley Mach2 ammo but some lotts of the Hornady branded ammo really shoot..! Same goes for my CZ 452 Varmint in Mach2...

Drills Crows..!

cale

Roger T-

Just wondering, did you see that in the September issue of guns and ammo magazine

because I have the september issue of guns and ammo in front of me. Are you sure it is page 96 because there is no page 96 it only goes to page 88. just wanted to read it

ok cool. thanks. ill check it out. I'm glad they are going to produce factory ammunition for this cartridge I have been wanting 17 ackley hornet for some time now. Ever since the the 17 HMR came out I thought a reloadable 17 cal. with a little bit more velocity would be perfect. now I wonder who or if one of the manufacturers is going to produce a rifle, hopefully someone does and its not like the 300 whisper where you have to get a custom job.

Note ! It does not say "ACKLEY" Hornet, it says 17 Hornet. I mentioned that it would be a good idea to "Legitimize the 17 ACKLEY Hornet".

I've had a few hornets over the years - at least in factory bbls., I've never been impressed with the accuracy. I feel the 221 FB is a much better cartridge, and its .20 cal offspring (20 VarTarg) is a real sweetie. THAT's the cartridge I'd like to see one or more of the commercial makers legitimize.

Case stretching on a standard style 17 Hornet (IF that's what it will be ?) I would think to be a nightmare. With the added velocity the case would give I'd think it could make it a half decent 200-250 yd varmit cart (IF the accuracey is there). With the added reloadability savings over the HMR. My tour with the 22 K Hornet wasn't all that great either (accuracey wise) but it was a fun little rig..

Back