holy shipping fee.

they do not...not rifles
i have worked usps priority mail....
most guys just ship them in a hard case taped and locked
no special handling from us.
mike in co
The usps keep the firarms under lock and key. UPS and fed X don't they are way safer with the USPS

gentlemen and ladies,
please note
rifles and shotguns....not handguns

all guns
basically you can ship to :
yourself , in care of, when off to a hunt/competition
an ffl
the manufacturer
please note , if your gunsmith has no ffl ,it aint legal to ship to him.

taking a gun apart does not change the rules.

mike in co
Here you go - copied direct from the USPS mailability site.

Rifles and Shotguns
Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 12.1.1e and 12.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 12.1.1e.

I have to use the USPS to ship rifles, we only have a UPS contract counter and they will not accept firearm shipments, using the argument that they do have a secure area to store them.

I initally did have to take a copy of the Post Office reg and a copy of the BATF FAQ's to our postmaster so that he knew it was legal, after that there has never been a problem with shipping with them.

drover

The only way a USPS clerk can know that your package contains a rifle or shotgun is if you march in and ask, "Hey, is it legal to ship this rifle?" They cannot ask what is in a long skinny box, even if it's addressed to Fred's Gun Shop. I've tried to trick the local USPS gals into asking me but they are too savvy. They simply say, "You know that we can't ask."

I can't confirm this but I have "heard" that the Postmaster can ask what the contents are and even request that the box be opened for inspection. But, I believe he/she would have to have a good reason to do so. It's never happened to me. But, I live in a rural area where everyone hunts and shoots so the issue of buying/selling/shipping guns never comes up.

Others have given some good advice. Once you find a UPS/FedEx/USPS clerk that knows the rules and doesn't cause any problems, use them exclusively. It pays to know the drivers and mailmen too. But, if you live in a big urban area or a liberal State, you're pretty much at their mercy.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to ship a barreled action back to the manufacturer, using USPS, no questions asked. Priority mail, Insured, Signature required. I was also able to track the shippment online.

I ship them both USPS and UPS. No problems. Never been asked about the contents. I have what they call a credit card account with UPS. Cost nothing extra, they just bill the credit card. I fill out the shipping info on line, print out the label, and it is good to go. Sometime I have my driver pick up the package or take them to a UPS pickup point.
Butch

Here in our branch Firearms are kept in a seperate room. Its the main Post office here in the syracuse area,
Thats what I was told by our postmaster. Hes gun friendly} ups is self insured, maybe thats why they are such jug heads, They refused to ship one for me and the cost was staggering . They discourage shipping firearms from indivduals. The private stores are definately anti Gun' I believe UPS is also. FedEx was another one that gave me a hard time shipping to an FFL They both stink in my opinion. Of course every one has one.

ok...i have a po box at my local ups store, so they know me. they know i recieve very heavy packages....bullets and brass...they know what i do.
when i had to return a broken hand gun to florida for replacement. i decided to ship thru my ups store. went in and said i wanted to ship a gun...."no can do", then i said it is going from the owner, me, to the manufacture for repair.....oh you want ground or ???
bottom line...$13 to ship a handgun to the manufacture......
mike in co
Here in our branch Firearms are kept in a seperate room. Its the main Post office here in the syracuse area,
Thats what I was told by our postmaster. Hes gun friendly} ups is self insured, maybe thats why they are such jug heads, They refused to ship one for me and the cost was staggering . They discourage shipping firearms from indivduals. The private stores are definately anti Gun' I believe UPS is also. FedEx was another one that gave me a hard time shipping to an FFL They both stink in my opinion. Of course every one has one.

The only bad thing about the USPS is that they LOOSE STUFF all the time. Well maybe not all the time but i have had at least 3 items go missing in the last 3 years. Mostly money orders, but i did loose a certified check one time with the post office and it took 3 months before the bank would re-issue the dam thing. it was about 3000 bucks to. Needless to say i never ever bought another certified check. My bank will only issue money orders up to 1000$ so if i buy something that 1600$ i just have to get 2 money orders to add up to the 1600$ one for 1000$ and one for 600$. Lee

Lee

USPS WILL NOT lose a Registered envelope or package. It's how jewelers send stones and gold. And it's how I send long guns.

Ray

CMP actually ships to your home, no FFl involved and for $27.50 it is shipped fed-ex. next day air. I have received at least 3 long guns from them in the last 4 years. Max

yep...use priority mail/and/or delivery confirmation..and by some miricale they never loose those....
mike in co
Lee

USPS WILL NOT lose a Registered envelope or package. It's how jewelers send stones and gold. And it's how I send long guns.

Ray

Something that comes to mind is that FedEx ground uses local contractors for delivery. They are very bad at finding addresses and give up after one attempt. With Air service, I think company guys deliver and are less likely to steel a gun.

When I last shipped via FedEx, a friend who was working on the counter told me that if I brought it to them to ship they can only ship next day air. The reason being that both FedEx and UPS have problems maintaining the security of firearms in their shipping depots (yes, their own employees!). At FedEx, if you have an online account with them, you can do the bill of lading online, print out the label and the bill, take the boxed, ready-to-ship firearm to the FedEx office and it goes without problem. FedEx Ground was the least expensive way to ship. My last rifle came via USPS and was without any hassle.

Back