HOkayyy, test video

Al, I greatly appreciate your videos and the time it takes to do it. On your Gordy sequence you have some out-of-round stuff with the fireform barrel. Can you talk about the weirdness one gets when the bushing spins, then catches, then spins.....
I’ve done experiments with spinning bushings and captive bushings. They aren’t necessarily round or ground perfectly......
Thoughts..

IN MY OPINION...... that's not what was happening in the video. I think that barrel is just worn, out of round as in tops knocked off the lands and the bushing is washing around. Remember, the bushing was TIGHT, then loosened up as it passed the firecracked area.

I've never seen it before but this is the first used, worn out barrel I've Gordy'd.

It was a mistake, misleading.

I've got a new barrel in the lathe right now, hoping to do it tomorrow #1 with a warmed up lathe, and #2, definitely with the new barrel.

BTW, I've got a new vid up where I'm using the FF bbl, it's very dark, late evening, I hope to also redo that one tomorrow :)

I didn’t think that was happening either, I’ve seen it in barrels getting rechambered. Just was wondering if you’ve seen weirdness related to bushing rotation. I’d rather a bushing not rotate. With a weight-biased rod you get a better transfer off bottom, if that makes sense. If a bushing was dead-nuts ground and round, that’s different. I’ll check out the new videos as they come out. Really enjoying them.

I have one of Kiff's rods

I think it's called a range rod. It has slop between the bushing and the rod itself so there is a bit of droop. I didn't like that idea much so I use pins on both ends of the barrel. I indicate both of them to zero using a tenth test indicator once I have zeroed it with a dial indicator. To me, that is a good way to do a chamber. Likely, most of the methods for setting up a barrel to chamber work just fine. I think one has to do what they believe is right and go with it. That's what matters in the end. Once i have completed the chamber, I flip the barrel and crown it, using pins in both ends again.

Pete

Same way I have been doing it Pete for quite sometime. But I am also a firm believer there is always a better approach to doing things. I have a blank on the way dialing in the chamber and the throat makes allot of common sense to me. And just importantly going back to check your work to see if it did or did not work. Myself I what to learn to understand why either way.

"Range Rod" is an entirely different animal..... ain't even in the same ballpark. I'd use Deltronic pins before I'd let a range rod touch my work.

jus' sayin'

The barrels I have set back

Same way I have been doing it Pete for quite sometime. But I am also a firm believer there is always a better approach to doing things. I have a blank on the way dialing in the chamber and the throat makes allot of common sense to me. And just importantly going back to check your work to see if it did or did not work. Myself I what to learn to understand why either way.

I cut the tenon off and started over. They were long enough to allow that so i did and used my pins for indicating. I haven't done one using my new Spidah yet. When I git home, I have one I'm gonna try.

Pete

I have two range rods from Manson and the bushings have a tight slip fit.

parshal, indicate with your range rod, remove it, reinstall and indicate. You might remember a bushing needs about .0002"+ to slip onto your range rod and .0002"- to slide into your bore.

parshal, indicate with your range rod, remove it, reinstall and indicate. You might remember a bushing needs about .0002"+ to slip onto your range rod and .0002"- to slide into your bore.

In using the Gordie rod with either a weight on it or a bend in the rod,the pressure takes up any slop in the fit.

For those who might not have seen this before.

Jackie Schmidt

Try This
Forget about the "Gunsmith" thing for a minute and look at this strictly from a Machinist viewpoint.

If bores were truly straight, all of this would be a moot point, because any 1st year apprentice can indict two points.

Since bores are not "straight", (in fact, they are not even "curved', they have "kinks" in them), you have no choice but to true two points and then some way get a third point running true with those two points. From a machinist standpoint, the only way to do this is to single point bore that "third point", thus establishing three points that run dead true with the machines bearings, (ie, "true").

By establishing the muzzle end true, and then establishing a point in the bore's area that will represent the first thing that the bullet "sees" as it leaves the case neck, then single point boring the chamber so it runs dead true with these two points, you will have no problem establishing a chamber that is "true" with the barrel's ID. That is, true with the original two indicated points, heck, one inch further from those two points may show as much as .001 run out. There is nothing you can do about this, because the bore is not even straight with its own self.

How many of you actually check everything after you finish a chamber. I do. I have written this before, but for those that have not been around that long, I will repeat the process.

After you have finished your entire chamber job, and before you remove the barrel from the final set-up, here is how you check your work.

Take your long stylus indicator and reach into the bore just a fraction further than where the lead angle ends. Indicate the lands and grooves, and see how much variation you get. Then, move the indicator back until you are on the actual tapered lead, (the last thing the reamer cut). Take a reading. Then, move the indicator back to the neck portion of the chamber, then to the body of the chamber, front and back.

Then, put your lathe in what ever thread you cut, and kick the half nut in. Place the ball stylus of the indicator in the V's of the thread, roll the chuck until all slack is out and the carriage is advancing. Record the indicator reading. Then place the stylus on the shoulder of the tenon, and record any run out there.

If you get more than .0002 to .0003 on any of these, you are inducing run out somewhere in your set-up. And, until you actually check your work, and see, you are simply relying on your set-up to be correct.

Of course, I am well aware that many of the lathes that Gunsmiths and Hobbyist use for their work are not even capable of producing this type of accuracy. Which leads us to this point. How accurate does all of this have to be? I have checked barrels done by others, and in my opinion, they never actually check their finished job because I get quite a bit of run out when checking the various fits against the others. These barrels shot great.

Sorry, but I tend to look at everything from a Machinist viewpoint. In my world, the only thing that counts is the finished job. Of course, you do have to have a means of performing operations that are within the capabilities of your shop, and of course, your budget And, you have to be willing to check your set-ups and correct any procedures that will cause the finished piece to be less than satisfactory when subjected to final inspection.

In my opinion, many of our "gunsmiths", and "machinist" in general, are simply "painting by the numbers". Change any part of the equation, and they have no way of knowing how to modify the operation to correct the flaws that can show up in the final inspection........Jackie
Last edited by Jackie Schmidt; 02-07-2011 at 09:29 AM.

I've had two lathes

I had a 1943 South Bend 10L and now a central tool 13" lathe. Both of them have great spindles in them,. Both of them have no perceived runout in them. when using a tenth indicator. I think that is about as good as it gets with lathes. I haven't done a lot of barrels but the ones I have done have all shot pretty well so far. I do check my work after I am finished with my operations. So much of the whole accuracy thing is what comes with the barrel. Some of them , very few, but some are remarkable. I have had 4 that were remarkable centerfire barrels and two RF barrels that were extra good, the rest of them need a lot of coaxing to shoot well.

Pete

Back