HOKAYYY... DOTS @ 100 and ES under 10fps..... 600?

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I've taken three yrs to get in the mood to write this but here goes.....

Since I've learned to keep my ES in the single digits, "positive compensation tuning" isn't a thing.

I realize this is heresy of the highest order........ and I believe positively in velocity-compensation tuning.

BUT!! With Extreme Spread in single digits I believe "if it dots at 100, it'll dot at 600"

Can anybody attest to a tuned 100yd load THAT HAS LOW ES, like under 10fps ES, that doesn't shoot at 600?

I've heard a boatload of opinions as how "tuning at 600 over-rides ES" etc etc but my experience here in the yard has been proving different.

TO ME....

What Say Ye??

I've taken three yrs to get in the mood to write this but here goes.....

Since I've learned to keep my ES in the single digits, "positive compensation tuning" isn't a thing.

I realize this is heresy of the highest order........ and I believe positively in velocity-compensation tuning.

BUT!! With Extreme Spread in single digits I believe "if it dots at 100, it'll dot at 600"

Can anybody attest to a tuned 100yd load THAT HAS LOW ES, like under 10fps ES, that doesn't shoot at 600?

I've heard a boatload of opinions as how "tuning at 600 over-rides ES" etc etc but my experience here in the yard has been proving different.

TO ME....

What Say Ye??
I have ZERO scientific proof of anything!
Butttt I would be shocked if I had a 100 yard 1/4 minute load that shot a 1/4 minute at 600. On the other hand a sweet 1/4 load at 600 would not surprise me to see it shoot small at a Hundo

If the conditions are good and the nut behind the trigger isn't loose, then why wouldn't it? I'd say with the right bullet for 600, with a low e.s. load, it should be capable. The thing is, to dot at 600, everything has to be perfect, especially each and every bullet and every piece of brass, and every primer. And we all know how many things in this world are perfect.

Last edited:
Interesting experiment @Alinwa
Worthy of barrel life and components is perhaps another thing, I suppose my single digit ES (When I get them) can be a result of decent reloading practices or just luck and personally I don’t really care as long as it shoots small at distance.
Dots at 600?? That’s rare by itself IME and when I’m tuning for 1000 or 600 yards my least concern is what it looks like at 100 yards.
I’ve read where some fellas short range tune for longer distances using a chronograph and looking for repeatability but I use the go long or go wrong method.

J

Last edited:
Back