HL Culver 6 PPC Advice

Thanks. Is it a pretty decent gun? I saw the neck size is .264. From what i've read, most 6 PPC are .262. Would I have to get custom dies to load for it?

I would avoid that one. It may have been a good rifle "back in the day". The stock is an old thumbhole type that is no longer used. Check out the rifles on the benchrest.com classifieds and also check Bob White's Shooters Corner listing at
http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/

Virtually all 6PPC chambers are tight for which you need to match the diameter of the loaded neck (bullet diameter + thickness of brass neck wall.). So, say a .2432" bullet is in brass that has been neck turned to .009". Add up .009 TWICE plus bullet. That is .2612. That would give you less than .001 clearance in a .262 chamber, but enough for a .263 chamber. For a .264 chamber you would use brass cut thicker than my illustration. You must handload with specific dies for any benchrest rifle.

Don't buy any rifle (especially that one) until you get more information. I would find a copy of the recent Tony Boyer book and the 2007 one from Mike Ratigan. Both explain benchrest reloading in detail. Plus these books will answer a lot of other questions.

Where to you live? The BEST way to learn about benchrest is from an active shooter. You can contact me at jstover33@comcast.net. I should be able to get you in touch with someone...

Jeff Stover

That must be one of H.L. Culver's own actions. Is it simular to the Stolle action?

Hal

Thanks for the advice. I live in Greensburg. I'm a member at Youngwood Sportsmens.

Jeff - I'll check out the places you mentioned. Is there any particular things I should be looking for in a decent gun or things to stay away from? I'm hoping to keep under $2k for gun and scope.

JB
you will need dies for it. the size of the neck is unimportant on that account since you can get a sizing button to match neck size.
What kind of action is on the gun? If it is a sleeved remington action or an unknown custom action it will have limited resale appeal.
If that is a stolle panda action then it is close in value to what they are asking by a couple of hundred dollars. But it is an older style that is not used these days which again will limit its resale value. What kind of trigger is it. A Burns or a Jewell? Consider the barrel as replaceable. Most bench rest barrels have seen there good days by 2000 rds some as soon as 1400.rds

If there is anything that particular rifle would be of interest would be for someone who wants to collect vintage benchrest rifles. You can't get too much more historic than a benchrest rifle built by and on an action built by Homer Culver. As per Jeff's suggestion, I'd look for more current production rifles built on currently available actions such as Bat, Kelbly, Stiller or Farley in no particular order if you want to be competitive.

Back