High pressures in 6PPC

Another question, What is the deal with the recall on the Berger column bullets? I was measuring some of those yesterday with a comparator and they varied a quite a bit from base to ogive-way more that 68 Bergers I have and the Bart's Ultras. I wanted to try some of them today. do you think they will be a problem?
Thanks Lonnie

Call Berger with that question. If they're the recall 'lot' very likely they'll replace them. If not, there is no problem beyond what we all face with finding a bullet our rifle likes.

I did just that and wouldn't you know I have the lot that was recalled. I only bought one box so I thought why ship them back, so I tried some today. That was probably stupid because it was windier than hell out of the s-sw. Not a breeze-a real blow. The woods blocks out a lot of it but I really get swithing going on with house and yard making up the first 50 yds. They won't be getting any of these bullets back. N133 started out at .289 then .210 and the last set was .110. H322 wasn't quite as good but they weren't bad either. About a hundred thousandths worse. These were 3 shot groups but they sure show promise. Might have to get more of them.

I might add one more thing, do you what chamber you have? I had a custom actioned 6ppc(.262Nk) some years back that was a very small chamber and it would not take a hot load and cratered primers so bad that they would be stuck in the fireing pin hole...yea i know it sounds hard to belive but you could remove the bolt and the case was stuck to the bolt..had to pull it off..but it never blew a primer..but cratered them bad..i monkeyed with it for awhile, it was built by one of the very best gunsmith/shooter's that there is and was a beautifull rifle..someone was interested in it, i told them all the problem's i had with it..so i sold it.
it could be possible that you just wont be happy or satified with the chambering you have, you could have it set back and rechamber also have your fireing pin bushed down.
and you could live with the rem action..just a thought..

Glad to hear of someone else who's actually experienced this stuff!!!

I once had several chambers cut to "min/min" and furthermore had the boltface of a rifle bushed to "contain the casehead" at the advice of several world class Hall of Fame builders.... whadda'CROCK!!! I too have pulled out rounds and had to break them off the boltface.

Ohh yeahh, and those tight/tight chambers??? Where the brass looks unfired???

@#$%^&!!!

al

Originally Posted by mark-x

I might add one more thing, do you what chamber you have? I had a custom actioned 6ppc(.262Nk) some years back that was a very small chamber and it would not take a hot load and cratered primers so bad that they would be stuck in the fireing pin hole...yea i know it sounds hard to belive but you could remove the bolt and the case was stuck to the bolt..had to pull it off..but it never blew a primer..but cratered them bad..i monkeyed with it for awhile, it was built by one of the very best gunsmith/shooter's that there is and was a beautifull rifle..someone was interested in it, i told them all the problem's i had with it..so i sold it.
it could be possible that you just wont be happy or satified with the chambering you have, you could have it set back and rechamber also have your fireing pin bushed down.
and you could live with the rem action..just a thought..

No I really don't know what chamber it is. Dan Dowling did the work. He has barreled a few rifles for me and they all have been superb. This my first PPC though.

LOL..... you're gonna' LIKE that PPC

Yes I think I am really going to like this thing. It seems to behave a little different than anything I have played with before. But I am starting to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. I've looked at the PPC for years but was always a little afraid of getting one as I had seen a number of 'sour' ones in the past. Rifles that wouldn't keep up with my 222x35. Most of them were easy to beat but there were a couple on the firing line where I used to compete that were dominant. Hence my reluctance to try one out for myself. Then after a long time out of Benchrest I got the bug to play around with a rifle again and needed to satisfy my PPC urge. And here we are.

Don't get too exited about getting all that velocity. I have a Panda, Krieger. Jewel, MacMillan that shoots very well down at 26.5 gr. of N133. Do a ladder test starting out at about 26.1 and go up by 0.3 grain and see what works best. Also don't put too much faith in 3 shot groups. Al.

Alan, you are correct in the 3 shot group thing. I also don't put too much into a single good group either. Especially if one side or the other in powder charge doesn't group reasonably well.

I've read about the ladder test, but I'm not sure it's really going do much for me at 100 yds. Although I suppose if they all went roughly through the same hole, I guess you could pretty much figure you were onto somewhat of aload lattitude. Or am I not totally understanding the concept? I guess I kinda thought that was more for the long range guys (600-1000)

You'll be surprised at the differences that you'll see. I do it on all my rifles, if you don't you will be wasting a lot of time and materials trying to find the best load not to mention burning up barrels unnecessarily. Try it you'll like it. Al.

Whats wrong with 3 shot groups? If three arent touching then 5 certainly wont be. Thats 2 less bullets you would have to pull. Myself, i shoot 3 shots and if i like them or feel there is something there, then i will load 5.
I once had a ppc that showed pressure at 28.5gr. Only thing i could figure out was that the bore was really tight on that particular shilen barrel. I shot that barrel around 28grains and it shot well. Good luck, and i am glad you noticed what kind of fellas we have here on this site. There are several good men that hang out here, and i am glad to be a part of them. Lee

That's exactly how I look at it, and how I do it. The main thing I'm looking for is pressure signs and velocity variation, and grouping. As you said, if three aren't there five won't be either. Same for velocity variance.

Most BR people are outstanding individuals and usually pretty knowledgable. That's why I came here with my questions. To all-Thanks again.
Lonnie

http://shootersnotes.com/articles/when-are-pressures-too-high
Here is a discussion on when pressures are too high.
Good Hunting... from Varmint Al
coyotel.gif

Back