High Pressure Pix

Jay Cutright

I just found some pix I took last summer. The owner of this rifle called me up and said he just shot his rifle and now the bolt wont open. Its a Dasher with a 1.555 chamber.

Attachments

• 100_0417.jpg
    100_0417.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 845
  • 100_0431.jpg
    100_0431.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 855
  • 100_0427.jpg
    100_0427.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 870
  • 100_0429.jpg
    100_0429.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 902
Maybe he could try a bit more powder? And I thought I loaded hot.

trying to weld

That is a tough way to braze what did he use bullseye or R-1

How on earth can sizing cause that Al? It nuked the case...

Look at the last pic. There's no way sizing can do that.

At a glance, this case was either completely annealed or was fed the wrong powder. If it was a sizing problem,
it should show some amount of separation.

Looks like he needs to trim his brass length to 1.540" or less for a 1.550" chamber to me. The second photo shows that the case length is .011" over the length of the chamber. The case length being too long for the chamber would force the extra length into the 45 degree section at the front of the chamber in effect crimping the bullet and causing excess pressure. It may not be all of it, but would certainly contribute.

and what if his overload just pushed the bolt back 7,8,9 tenths and the rest is neck...??

I'm with Bryant,

I see this guy "working up loads" merrily cranking away on the hannle.....load/shoot load/shoot load/shoot load/BOOM!!!

All because he's got his die set too low.

It's SIZING that makes necks grow, nothing else.

Dude pushed his brass up into the neck.

He's probably got his bullets seated "long" to jam because "this keeps the casehead buried against the boltface" because he got his fireforming/loading information from idiots so he's got a tight heel-down fit, can't feel the crimping going on. He's jamming the shoulder back 3-4 thou/load so after 3-4 loadings he JAMS 'er down and pulls the trigger. He's already crimped onto the bullet, got the ring started, but the firing pin forces the neck deeply into the bullet. The neck has nowhere to go, pressure skyrockets....

How do I picture it so vividly you ask???

Well that's how I did it......

al

and what if his overload just pushed the bolt back 7,8,9 tenths and the rest is neck...??

The case in the second photo doesn't appear to be the same case as the one in the third or fourth photo that is stuck on the bolt head or with the blown primer. Most guys running 6 Dashers are running very high pressure. When you don't trim case length and you are already on the ragged edge pressure wise, it doesn't take much to push over the edge. The same thing could happen with a 6 PPC if cases get longer than the length of your chamber. It's easy enough to check for lug set back when he has the barrel off the action measuring from the base of the go gage to the barrel shoulder as well as measuring the bolt face to receiver face with a depth mike.

Last edited:
most of us seem to learn lessons very welll if:
we are there when the other guy screws up,
or more commonly...from our own screw ups....

mike in co
I'm with Bryant,

I see this guy "working up loads" merrily cranking away on the hannle.....load/shoot load/shoot load/shoot load/BOOM!!!

All because he's got his die set too low.

It's SIZING that makes necks grow, nothing else.

Dude pushed his brass up into the neck.

He's probably got his bullets seated "long" to jam because "this keeps the casehead buried against the boltface" because he got his fireforming/loading information from idiots so he's got a tight heel-down fit, can't feel the crimping going on. He's jamming the shoulder back 3-4 thou/load so after 3-4 loadings he JAMS 'er down and pulls the trigger. He's already crimped onto the bullet, got the ring started, but the firing pin forces the neck deeply into the bullet. The neck has nowhere to go, pressure skyrockets....

How do I picture it so vividly you ask???

Well that's how I did it......

al

He's probably got his bullets seated "long" to jam because "this keeps the casehead buried against the boltface" because he got his fireforming/loading information from idiots.....al

So...you're saying that jamming a bullet doesn't keep the case head against the bolt face when it's fired? -Al

Al, I've done it multiple times.

After reading this thread, I did it again today, snapped pics and posted it under the 'General Discussion' forum.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php...-during-firing-some-facts&p=660547#post660547

Good shootin'. -Al

Thanks for that, now test with the shoulder out of the way...... your test proved only that the case will stop when it hits he shoulder. This is the express function of the shoulder on the bottlenecked cartridge :) It should work.

And you can't just measure bullet setback. You've got to remove the ejector/extractor and shim for headspace. See how far you drove the bullet into the lands.

The firing pin WILL move the bullet.

And if it doesn't it WILL shove the bullet further into the lands.

Nice pix

al

primmer hole

Guys look at the photo of the primmer hole the primmer blew out and there was still enough powder burning to melt some of the case the neck had to have been pinched holding the slug; surprised it did not stick in the barrel with the loss of pressure, shell must have sealed to the bolt face. I would check for damage to the barrel you cram things in a plinking barrel no harm no foul (sort of) but for target 100 200 a little can make for trash

Here's something I've added to my bench routine. After firing my group and waiting for the cease fire I use a loaded round and check every fired case to make sure a bullet will go back in the case with some clearence. And yes I learned that the hard way, more than once as a matter of fact.

Dave

Back