high power scope users

Jim Mc

high power scope users
I have a question to those who have 50x or more optics on your rifle.
Can you really use the 50x to 80x magnification on targets at different ranges?
Will someone with an 80x March offer there expeirences with the mirage during different conditions?

Currently my highest power scopes are 42x variable but often find myself dialing down to 30x or lower with them during the heat. Just wanted to know what the higher mag. scope users do with better glass.

Thanks, Jim

I have a March 10-60x on a 30BR which I shoot in 500M groundhog matches. I rarely keep it at 60x, and in mirage conditions, it must be turned down to about 35x and even then its a scramble to see scoring rings. But when conditions are perfect, it is a great scope. Same with my NF 12-42's. I keep them around 35x also in poor conditions.

I have a March 10-60x on a 30BR which I shoot in 500M groundhog matches. I rarely keep it at 60x, and in mirage conditions, it must be turned down to about 35x and even then its a scramble to see scoring rings. But when conditions are perfect, it is a great scope. Same with my NF 12-42's. I keep them around 35x also in poor conditions.

It's kind of interesting to me to see different peoples perspectives and it kind of goes back to so many things being personal taste. I have been using two different rifles (30BR and 30x47) with 10-60 March scopes in Groundhog shoots out to 500yards and IBS 100 to 300 for a couple of years and I hardly ever take the scope off 60x. I am surprised my self at how much I like the high power, when I go to one of my 12x42 NF scopes I really miss the power.
Dick

I am with you Dick. I had a 12-42NF which I always shot at 42x. Now I have the 10-60x March and will usually shoot the 100 yards matches at the 60x. The 200 and 300 yard matches I have been turning it down to about 42x but that is to see more flags through the scope, not because of clarity issues. The other factor in all of this is what amount of mirage you get. 95% of my shooting is in Maine or Vermont and we get mirage but do we really get MIRAGE like you do in more southern climates. I think not so it isn't as much of an issue for me. Randy J.

Dave
Ground Hog matches are becoming increasingly popular in my local area at many clubs. They are generally nothing but score matches with a score target built into the middle of a Ground hog image. There is no national organization and rules as well as distances involved vary from club to club. The one constant is you shoot 3 yardages usually 5 record shots at each yardage. You usually get 6 minutes for the shorter distances and sometimes 9 min for the final longer distance. 200-300-400, 200-300-500 and 100-200-300 are the yardages I shoot locally. Most allow as many sighters as you desire but one big one allows no sighters. And oh yes one other thing absolutely no flags are allowed.

Dick

Not I. As previously mentioned, I turn mine down for everything but the 100. I only shoot 100-300 yards. If I didn't already have what I needed I might struggle with decision of which one to buy. I haven't thought about it much, but I am not sure why I would need more than 60x and I certainly don't have an extra $1000 dollars for something I am not sure about. From that I just talked myself into another no I wouldn't. :) Randy J.

Scope Power:

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to try a Brackney /leup on my VFS rifle. I had seen a number of my friends experiencing problems with their High Dillar scopes( prior to March) so I decided on the frozen route. I saw a very nice one in the classifieds; a 45X with a tiny Premier dot; Excelent!

I began to use the scope and found that 45X was too much for me to deal with. I found that with everything looking so big it was giving me sensory overload and I was often not holding properly because of it.

A close friend had a 40X ; same mount but crosshairs. We traded. I like the 40 but for me, I could easily live with a 36. I have shot with 6X scopes for a long time and this may have some bearing on my situation but I believe I could be happy enough with a 35X Leyp; why not? I never have trouble seeing bullet holes through my 36 Weavers, even at 300yds.

So... Pete, now that you have been shooting it for a while, how does the Brackney do as far as holding point of impact?
Boyd

Boyd: Pete evidently has not yet returned. I'll give you my 20 cents worth on the Brackney mount. I'm a rim fire bench rest shooter and prefer to hold off so I rarely twist on the knobs. My frozen comp 40 Leupold and Brackney mount is on a Turbo, and I have had it about 2 months now I guess it is. I put the scope on the rifle and zero'd it at 50 yards using my best lot of ammo for the rifle and in essentially calm. Once I had it zero'd I marked the scope at 15 horizontal and 21 vertical reading directly off the micrometer turrets. Then I tightened the stop almost all the way and re-checked zero....no change. Now after using it for a while I can crank on the knobs a bit if I want to and "return to zero" just by resetting the micrometer knobs to 15 and 21. I'd say it holds poa somewhat better than the scope did before freezing, and I suspect that the 3 or 4 trips per year back to Leupold for "repair" are now a thing of the past. I will say the lack of clicks on the knobs takes a bit of getting used to. But, just a bit. I'll get another Brackney when I need to scope another rifle. bob

Back