Hey Wilbur

Generally speaking, you can't kill somebody with a recipe as quickly as you can with load data....just sayin'. I'll ask this question, somewhat rhetorically - why post specific load data?

Wilbur,

Just sayin', how many folk do you know who are now dead due to a reloading recipe?

CDC says 5,000 folk a year die to foodborne illness. A lot better chance of us shooters dying in the kitchen and a bad recipe as opposed to the reloading room. I have never heard of a reloading related death.

I have seen "28.5 grains of H322", or "53 clicks on a Culver" on this forum more than once. We post data to answer a question, help another shooter, and share knowledge. I don't see a problem with that. The header for the forums is "Knowledge Awaits"...

If we are going to live in fear of the lawsuit, reloading data is prolly the least of our concern. Over on the Gunsmiths forum, many a discussion has been had on doing a trigger job (ask Remington how triggers worked out for them), or how to chamber a barrel...thereby, making it able to go "Bang". I, for one, am far more concerned with wrapping myself up in one of my lathes trying respected member "X"s chambering method than I am of a member's reloading recipe blowing my head off. The "Equipment List" from major shoots are posted here and contain load data. Where do we draw the line?

In the end, in today's society, you can't win for losing...

I mean no offense, Wilbur. This is your house...what you says goes. And I will abide by that. But if we dumb down, or sterilize these forums based on what could go wrong, I would have never learned as much as I have.

Justin

Last edited:
Just sayin', how many folk do you know who are now dead due to a reloading recipe?
Don't know any dead, but I know of two instances where a certain degree of pyrotechnics happened at the arse end of guns from questionable loads.

Don't know any dead, but I know of two instances where a certain degree of pyrotechnics happened at the arse end of guns from questionable loads.

John,

No doubt. The potential for bad things happening is there when when we reload. It's also there when we shoot, when we chamber a barrel, etc. Our hobby can be very unforgiving, and fraught with peril. But if we start worrying about potential liability when we chat it up, offer advice, or try and help another shooter with a problem, we'll all be rendered pretty much mute.

Justin

I know two dead specifically from reloading, one of them a shooter who, in the actual words of BR Hall Of Fame #2 "was better than him"

As a Hunter Ed Instructor kinda' "in the loop" regarding shooting accidents I know of dozens of very serious injuries also. I'm a licensed reloader yet it's not legal for me to use reloads on our Range Days

I think Y'all have the wrong idea. I initially called for no actual loading data but that's been a long, long time ago. Truth is, folks are gonna post data regardless of what I think so it has become a no never minder. Truthfully, this is everybody's forum rather than just mine....how else could it be?

I think Y'all have the wrong idea. I initially called for no actual loading data but that's been a long, long time ago. Truth is, folks are gonna post data regardless of what I think so it has become a no never minder. Truthfully, this is everybody's forum rather than just mine....how else could it be?
It's OK, Wilbur. Just set out on the sun & remember when you were a vinegary sod.

Attachments

• willaugh.png
    willaugh.png
    12 KB · Views: 94

You own it Wilbur, so you're the sheriff.

Thanks for the site.
Dave

I didn't Wilbur :)

What I REALLY said was that "the 243AI ain't all it's cracked up to be" and that the 6BR would beat it. An admittedly cantankerous opinion but not DAN'rous.....

"I k'in let out a yell that'll curl y'er hair, but I'm not a thoroughly dangerous man"

(with apologies to The CDB)

On Accurate shooter I thought the only no no was publishing throwing powder in clicks recipes. There are whole sections on specific load data. As they say start lower and work up!!! I don't believe for a minute just bad mouthing any cartridge would get you banned forever. I read both these sites and each has their positives.

banned for life

Don't call out some 50 Cal. shooter on accurateshooter.com for giving out unsafe advice. That "FORUM BOSS" will can your can quick!

Don't call out some 50 Cal. shooter on accurateshooter.com for giving out unsafe advice. That "FORUM BOSS" will can your can quick!

Yeah, don't try to help a feller that was unhappy with his smith. We tried to help in a nice way and the post went away. I started another thread about why it was deleted and said he might check his scope or mounts. He had said he had 2 new barrels that weren't chambered correctly and wouldn't shoot.
I think the guy is OK, but lost. I'll be right behind you Eddie.

On Accurate shooter I thought the only no no was publishing throwing powder in clicks recipes. There are whole sections on specific load data. As they say start lower and work up!!! I don't believe for a minute just bad mouthing any cartridge would get you banned forever. I read both these sites and each has their positives.

I got banned for putting the boss in a pickle.

It's kinda' like back when I got kicked out of gunsmithing school.... I was top of my class but I intimidated the bejeebers out of my main teacher so he had it in for me. He once said "if you do (something) I'll get you expelled!!!" etc etc....

And I pushed the buttons because..... well, I guess because I'm ME.....

And we came to a hearing and this big quiet "old guy" (I was a spindly 20-yr-old kid) I assumed was one of the benefactors of the school took me off into a room and A'Splained to me "how it was".... basically he said "You're completely right, completely IN the right which is more important, but what it comes down to is.... "it's him, or you"....."

So of course (again, being me) I took the hit. I walked away with no credentials.....

WITHIN A WEEK of graduation I was offered an honorary degree.

I of course laffed in their face. "Honorary" mi'yass... I was young, but not dumb.

Over the course of the next year(s) I was variously begged to accept a full degree, with honors etc....

"no"

I've never spoken to them since. And that doesn't bother me :)

Back