Hey Kent !?!?

Hell Wilbur, even if it don't work it looks like at the very least it'll show you where to dig the new well out back.

The action of a Jaw Harp (or Jew's Harp) is much more applicable to modeling the behavior of a rifle barrel than a guitar string.

The fact that a guitar string is supported equally on both ends and is held under tension has a lot to do with its vibratory behavior. (Essentially a pre-stressed cable like a suspension bridge)

Something like a Jaw Harp, where the vibrating element is supported on one end, and must be free to move on the other end, serves as a better model.

My 2 cents,

SteveM.

Picture this - next match Wilbur shows up with guitar strings attached to the tuner(neck), back to the scope(bridge), then to the stock! But, is it legal? Need to check with Wilbur! Bob Vail

Wilbur,

is it mostly country or classic rock. It may really make a difference :cool: Seriously, if you are trying to make the end of the barrel stay parallel at that point, the other bearm will have to be much stiffer. Then the guitar string will also have to equal the barrel stiffness in that orientation.

Barrel vibration frequencies and shapes depend on the stiffness of the beam itself as the major driver.

String vibration frequencies and shapes depend on the tension. The string itself as a beam has no real stiffness when compared.

The barrel is so many orders of magnitude stiffer, that it for all practical purposes, probably cant be made to work.

My big question is why would you want it stopped??? If the motion is predictable, repeatable and changeable, you have the perfect situation already. Varmint Al has shown the answer to this mess. IF you have a stopped barrel in a parallel mode etc, different velocity ammo hits up and down. You really want to be on the upstroke such that the slower ammo is fired out the end a little higher on the slope to hit the same spot. IF the ammo had zero velocity difference, you may want to try to find the stopped muzzle, but for real ammo, especially in the rimfire velocity ranges where the deltas are significant to the base velocity, it seems to me the answer is as above.

Jetmugg

attachment.php

With a stopped muzzle, a plus or minus 20 FPS will still "catch a 10".

All in all, Smitty said it's better to have a good barrel and he's right.

What is typical

extreme spread on good eley black box ammo. Is 20 fps typical. I was talking about this the other day with someone and it came up. Has anyone chrono'ed a bunch to see what it does.

Wowsers - now that's taking a new approach for sure. I think even Varmint Al might have a tough time modeling the elastic behavior of that setup.

Here's something to ponder - the "stiff rod" in your diagram, what should it be made of? "Stiffness" is essentially Young's modulus (stress over strain). Individual carbon fibers are about 5 times stiffer than steel, with an atomic weight of 12, compared to iron, which has an atomic weight of 56-ish and a stiffness only 1/5th of carbon fibers. Check the technology of high-end bicycle frames (Tour de France type stuff) - they used to be made of steel, now they are virtually all carbon fiber. The stiffness of the CF can be controlled by the amount and directionality of the fibers, and the overall weight is a fraction of a steel frame.

I think there would be a benefit to making a "bloop tube" type tuner (or noodle) from a material with a very high modulus. (ideally, this would be either a ceramic composite or carbon fiber tube). By having a lightweight, stiff tube, the same moment can be applied to the end of the barrel with less mass applied to the end of the bloop tube. Hence, more "tuning effect" - (i.e. applied moment) can be had with less mass added to the end of the tuner.

new name for tuner.................a forward mass stabilizer, :eek:

Extreme spread

extreme spread on good eley black box ammo. Is 20 fps typical. I was talking about this the other day with someone and it came up. Has anyone chrono'ed a bunch to see what it does.

Found this in another thread - Eley Match - 25 shots each:

LOT NUMBER HI LOW ES AVE SD
1007-02252 1067 1056 11 1062 3
1007-04160 1064 1050 14 1059 14
1007-04165 1061 1053 8 1057 3

Back