Hey 1holer....

R

RAG

....didn't you bring a pen and note pad last week so you could write a article on how the blacksmith installs barrels? I heard it cleans up well,but hows it shoot in the cold?

Hi Ron. The Shilen ratchet is showing a lot of promise. Dean and I shot it in the warehouse until we got cold. I have been shooting and tuning in my basement with great results. I had the barrel frozen before we fit and chambered it. I find it is much easier to clean. Two dry patches and most of the rimfire ring and bore is clean. The second wet patch shows little fouling. It looks like 2 dry patches and 1 wet will get the bore clean. Based on what I have seen so far I am going to have all my future barrels Cryo treated. It's to cold to shoot outside so will have to wait for warm weather.

1holer

Hey 1holer what are you messing with now ? Sounds like you are going to get a jump start for next season. What you are doing sounds interesting. :):) Hang in there....slim

How long of range do you have in your basement? I have found that 20-25 yards indoors works great to find the best tuner settings with as little ammo as possible. It will be interesting to see how that chamber will compare to the old setup. If it proves to be better the blacksmith will be busy with rechamberings. Good luck deer hunting this weekend.

I have 55ft. in my basement. I use my caliphers to measure outside diameter of groups than substract .233 from that. By measuring the outside I can get down very close. I then multiply by 3 to get my 50 yard group size for 5 shot groups. The new barrel is shooting in the .100 - .150 calculated at 50 yards. I bought a Calfee rifle from Steve Duffin back in June. He had it tuned but I shot it in the basement and found that moving tunner in 5 clicks gave better groups. After doing this I shot a 250 18X in Pontiac and a 250 15X the following weekend at the Iowa State shoot. One thing for sure is the weather is better in my basement then outside this time of year. I also use my Pappas one piece rest for tunning. I told the blacksmith to put the reamer under lock and key. I told him the Minnesota shooter are already to good and they don't need any more advantage over us struggling Illinois shooters.

Cryo Treating

CryoPlus in Ohio did the work They are out by Kelblys. They also do treating for Kelblys. Ph 330-683-3375 Real good service. If you get the barrel to them on Friday they treat it over the weekend and send it back to you on Monday. Cost is $60 which includes return shipping. After having one done it has made a believer out of me.

Back