Help removing scratches from stainless barrel

H

horseshoe

I do not know what to use to remove scratches from a stainless steel barrel and would appreciate any suggestions. I have not tried anything for fear of damaging further . Thanks in advance

horeshoe ...

Not knowing the extent of the scratches, I'd start here and see what happens: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1160.

Krieger has this to say about abrasives: "Abrasive cleaners work well. They do not damage the bore, they clean all types of fouling (copper, powder, lead, plastic), and they have the added advantage of of polishing the throat both in 'break in' and later on when the throat begins to roughen again from the rounds fired. One national champion we know polishes the throats on his rifles every several hundred rounds or so with diamond paste to extend their accuracy life.":)

I do not know what to use to remove scratches from a stainless steel barrel and would appreciate any suggestions. I have not tried anything for fear of damaging further . Thanks in advance

Mr. horseshoe if your talking about external scratches, here is the solution. In my opinion there is nothing any better, a finger nail polisher -works absolutely perfect!

The best are these Tropical Shine found at beauty supply houses, my wife picks 'em up for me at Sallys, you can buy them *here*

I'm going to "over sell" these because they are that good!! A stiff foam backed middle with 4 grits. Starts off about 600 then 1000 grit, on the back about 1500 grit and finishes with about 2000 grit. You will get a perfect mirror scratch free shine. They are used for polishing nails so the ladies don't have to use nail polish and they will last a long time!

The cheepies at walmart sorta work but they do not compare with the professional quality.

When i was doing my Ruger 10/22's i used 'em for trigger work, reshape and polish the hammer notch and sears. They will polish small parts better than anything i have used including crayco. Every benchrester should have a few in your gear box. You can make small knicks, burs dissapear or polish something to a mirror scratch free shine in just minutes all by hand. joe :)

POLISH.jpg

Help removing scratches from stainless steel barrel

Thanks Art and Ben for your response to my problem of scratches on one of my barrels. Yes the scratches are external from handling and hauling without a gun case. Will try the finger nail polisher, you sound as if this is so simple. Hope it is. Thanks again.

Credit goes to my wife Peg for the Discovery! I'm whining as usual i don't got nothing to polish my sear with -after tearing thru all the kitchen drawers looking for something. She gets tired of "hearing it" and plops down one of her nail files. After i get thru laughing at her i give it a try. Dang i have to apologize AGAIN for about the umpteenth time. Why is it women have the dumbest ideas and they always work!! :D:D:D joe:)

Don't have a budget for polishing barrels actions etc. This works but requires some elbow grease.

Unpolished Stainless Emory cloth or sandpaper 220 grit then 330grit for polishing 400grit then 600 grit.

Polished use 400 and 600 grit.

Wear gloves turn the barrel with one hand while holding emory cloth or sandpaper around the barrel in the other hand.

Takes some time but the barrel turns out nice.

You are going to have to use the same grade abrasive used to obtain the original finish on the barrel. More than likely this was between 220 and 400. abrasive paper or cloth. If you use too rough, you will still see scratches, if you use too fine abrasive you will see a polished bright area. Further, you will have to match the direction or lay of the abrasive marks. The barrel may have absolutely tangential lay as you get polishing on a lathe. Then you may have angular lay as you get polishing by hand. Matching all this would be quite a feat using finger nail boards! You may have to rub the whole barrel to really eliminate small scratches or to blend them in.

mr pacecil how about using some bondo to fill the scratches in and using some silver paint? joe:)

Aw, Hell, why don't you.................

take the barreled receiver out of the stock, and put some tape around the receiver, take the scope off, too, while you're at it. Then, get yourself a cold drink, and some 80Grit. Take all this out on the lawn, or in the backyard, and set down in your favorite lawn chair. Gently place the receiver between your legs, and wrap the 80grit around the barrel; then, using gently reciprocating strokes, begin to polish the barrel up, an' down, an' all aroun'. The point is, if you "polish" the entire barrel this way, might take you an hour or two, so sit under a tree, and make sure you have a pitcher to top off your drink when necessary; Soon, you won't ever see that scatch you were in a tither over. The neighbors will have untold questions in their minds, wondering just WHAT you could POSSibly be doing that was having any positive effect. But you, sly devil that you are, just let them go on wonderin'....and if the wife,(who's been ASKED by the neighbors what you're doing)asks, just look at her and say, "Nothing, Dear" Think of all the fun you can have with all the nosy neighbors(a radio outside so you can keep time is also handy), while you erase that original, pesky scratch or two, that you used to agonize over!! :D:rolleyes:;)

Back